Where to buy Vinyl records in India

Hi Arindam,

Thanks a lot for the details. Yes, I will contact you one of these days. I have a small collection of LPs all bought new abroad. Have no experience in buying them here recently, although long time ago used to buy them here.

At the moment I do not have a working TT. My 20 year old TT (a very good one, Dual CS5000) is not working any more. It is probably beyond repair, but from the net I have managed to get its circuit free. Let's see. Do you know anybody who knows about repairing these things?

My alternate plan is to get another TT some time after I upgrade my amp. Although I have a meagre collection of vinyl, I am missing them very much. And when I have a working TT, I will definitely start building on my vinyl collection.

Regards

Hi
Asit

Try METRO MUSIC STORE behind Metro Cinema (Metro Gali) they have wide collection of second hand turntable price start from Rs 3500.

Hi

I am recently purchase Michael Jackson Dangerous double LP from slcd.com.

Order Date 28.03.2009

Received Date 09.04.2009

Shipping Charge $18

Service Good

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some nice Indian Classical LPs. Any ideas where I can find them in Delhi?

Also, anyone know of any online stores that can mail vinyl to the US?

Just picked up a decent Vinyl rig and am craving for good Indian Classical, Ghazals, Thumris, Bhairavi Raags etc...

Hello shaizada,
Try BollywoodVinyl.com. They will ship to america. Pricing is atrocious. The best way to procure this is to ask somebody in india to purchase decent used lps in india and then ship them to you in US.Every major indian city has 3-4 shops who deals in wide collection of used lps.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Ebay is a good source; host of sellers, some good, some not so. Have dealt with a few over the years.

Happy to PM advice when you come across something you like.

Also, have you checked out BollywoodVinyl.com Contrary to the name, there's a wide range of stuff including much that would be to your taste. This guy can be pricey but there's lower risk of ending up with lemons. He tries to be accurate in his grading/ descriptions, has many LPs in mint condition and throws in a wet vacuum treatment on used discs before shipping.

Both of you guys,

Thanks for pointing me out to that web store. I'll see if the pricing is decent as I imagine I am going to have to start quite a collection soon :eek:

Now, about getting in touch with someone in India, I have lots of family in Delhi. However, I don't think they will be able to sort out through the vinyl.

Are any of you guys willing to make some vinyl purchases on my behalf?
Private MSG me if you can. I would trust audiophiles to be able to sift through records instead of any of my family members who would probably not know what to look for and understand the condition of the discs.

Just checked out Bollywoodvinyl.com

Damn they are expensive! I can get Mobile Fidelity and new 180g or 200g pressings from Speaker Corner, Blind Pigs and Accoustech audiophile pressings for this kind of money.

I so wasn't expecting this for Indian Vinyl. Smart business mind on this dude for charging this kinda money and getting away with it. Hmmmmmm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some nice Indian Classical LPs. Any ideas where I can find them in Delhi?

Also, anyone know of any online stores that can mail vinyl to the US?

Just picked up a decent Vinyl rig and am craving for good Indian Classical, Ghazals, Thumris, Bhairavi Raags etc...

If you are in Delhi, try out Gypsy Corner in Karol Bagh. I recently picked up a bunch of LPs. The outer covers are dirty, but the LPs themselves are meticulously maintained and are easily the best I have come across. He did have a bunch of Hindustani classical, qawwalis etc. I had cleaned out most of the English, Hindi and some popular Hindustani in my last visit. The owner is a dedicated chap and fine gentlemen and I felt it would be crass to bargain, so I ended up paying what he asked, which is a bit high, but the quality of the records are worth it. If you are hunting for Hindustani, this might be the guy. Google gypsy corner and you will get the phone number.
Happy hunting! Cheers..Amar

On mumbai Chor Bazaar-
I think I got a high rate
English @ Rs 35-40 Per LP ( Just got 10)
Hindi -
LP @ Rs 20 (for lot of 30 out of 40)
Lp @ Rs 30 ( For 20-25 Records)
EP @ RS 10 & 15

Again rhre was a lot of western classicals like Beethoven @ Bach mostly 8 Inchers around 25-35 Just bought 1...

Condition though is not very great

Firt my record software collection is built now scouting for cheap used turntable.....any suggestions of TT shops in Mumbai//

do you mean you have wiped out (cleaned?) all good LPs from there?

:) I wiped out the good ones I had time to go through. However there was a whole bunch of Hindustani (and others?) which I couldn't browse as I was running out of time and was making a poor colleague of mine wait (who obviously couldn't appreciate the whole concept). I have a strong feeling you might get lucky if you visit the place. As I mentioned, the LPs are exceptionally taken care of.
Cheers..Amar!

I have seen those....
the quality is highly suspect. I bought abt 40-50...even after selecting them well, too many scratches. And as a sample, I bought few from all most shops to check their quality. Same shit.

On mumbai Chor Bazaar-
I think I got a high rate
English @ Rs 35-40 Per LP ( Just got 10)
Hindi -
LP @ Rs 20 (for lot of 30 out of 40)
Lp @ Rs 30 ( For 20-25 Records)
EP @ RS 10 & 15

Again rhre was a lot of western classicals like Beethoven @ Bach mostly 8 Inchers around 25-35 Just bought 1...

Condition though is not very great

Firt my record software collection is built now scouting for cheap used turntable.....any suggestions of TT shops in Mumbai//

Chor Bazaar used to be a treasure trove. I've gotten 90% of my collection from there, over the years. Condition does vary - they're used LPs after all - but you often found large lots in excellent to near-mint condition. (larger collections tend to be less played http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/smile.gif. After a while you get the skill to 'see through' the surface dust to determine which ones will play well and which won't. There are only a couple of dealers left at CB these days, and sadly stocks are drying up, even,as it appears, customers for LPs are steadily increasing. Also, there are a bunch of up country traders these days who are grabbing up whatever LPs hit the market; these land up in Bangalore. Chennai, Calcutta, wherever. Weastern Classical fans are well served tho', there's always some available and the condition is top-notch.

I have seen those....
the quality is highly suspect. I bought abt 40-50...even after selecting them well, too many scratches. And as a sample, I bought few from all most shops to check their quality. Same shit.

even after a good wet cleaning madjack...?

hi rainbow,

which city are you from? there are already lots of dealers listed. do a search of the forum you'll get them all. i cant recall specific names but moore market chennai has lots of dealers. balaji in bangalore has hindi record and some south indian language records dont remember if they're telugu though.

regards

Thanks stevieboy ..

I stay in hyderabad.

Anybody please let me know if any dealer available in hyd

Thanks

Rainbow

Hello,

I'm going to mumbai until July 22nd - July 25th.
i'm looking for Vinyl records and dealers.(Classic Hindustani music and Bollywood music.)

I will go to Chor Bazaar and around Flora Fountain.
Is there Vinyl near these?

I am waiting for your advice and help.

thanks!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back