Where to record Surround music (DTS/DOLBY) from different movies of our choice

tellranga

Friends,
Some ten years back, we had the habit of buying Sony or TDK empty audio cassette of 60/90 minutes and go to some music shop to record our assorted collection of stereo music from different movies. That happenned during my school days.
But that culture is very rare now because of the availability of free mp3 in the net. Anyway having upgraded to 5.1 & 7.1 surround music, I wanna upgrade my selected favourite songs from mp3 to surround effect.
Buying the whole movie for few songs in music shop is pinching my pocket. Also could not locate any albums in DOBLY/DTS/flac when I google the same.
(Note - only succesful in getting dts track minnale-- happy to share with fellow members when we meet again).

So, please let me know whether we have this option of recording anywhere in Chennai in DTS/DOLBY track. (I think even flac will retain surround effect) or may be a download option from the net?

I thought of asking this question @ Ignite when we met each other but somehow it never striked.

Thanks,
Ranga.

Ranga:

Let me try to clarify a few points for you.

1. FLAC is just a encoding/compression methodology. It has no control over the content.

2. No retailer will be able to 'extract' or record multi channel audio for you.

3. There have been other threads which discuss how to convert regular music to multi channel. It is a complicated process.

4. You cannot convert any MP3 to multichannel audio. Again MP3 is only a compression format and most MP3s you will find are of 2 channel stereo.

5. For a true multi channel audio, the original recording has to be done in 5.1 or 7.1 in the studios. There are very few Indian multi channel media available. Some that come to mind are Vettayadu Vilayadu, Dhoom, etc. The software owners are not creating multi channel audio any more as it does not seem to sell.

6. You can use Neo 6 on your AVR to get music on all channels. BUT, this is only a simulation. It is not true multi channel.

Cheers

Ranga:
Let me try to clarify a few points for you.
Cheers

Thanks Venkat,
1. FLAC is just a encoding/compression methodology. It has no control over the content.
By mistake, I thought FLAC will give a surround effect since it is meant for loseless audio . Point corrected and noted.
2. No retailer will be able to 'extract' or record multi channel audio for you.
Which means the era of recording assorted collection of music from different movies is possible only for stereo. hmmmmmm.
3. There have been other threads which discuss how to convert regular music to multi channel. It is a complicated process.
I dont deserve to even think such conversion
4. You cannot convert any MP3 to multichannel audio. Again MP3 is only a compression format and most MP3s you will find are of 2 channel stereo.
No no no. I remember in one of the threads from Ram , "Garbage In is Garbage out" . So I was not trying to convert my mp3's to 5.1 for sure. Only want to replace them subject to availability
5. For a true multi channel audio, the original recording has to be done in 5.1 or 7.1 in the studios. There are very few Indian multi channel media available. Some that come to mind are Vettayadu Vilayadu, Dhoom, etc. The software owners are not creating multi channel audio any more as it does not seem to sell.
Like mp3, I was searching for 5.1 tracks albums to download from the net, but in vain.
6. You can use Neo 6 on your AVR to get music on all channels. BUT, this is only a simulation. It is not true multi channel.
That's true. I have tried this Neo6 option in my AVR, and I am not impressed as all tracks are mixed and not seperated.

I am surprised that we dont have much songs in DTS / Dolby tracks. Which means my 5.1/7.1 is only meant for movies ?

Do you recommend any albums which has surround music.
Music can be any category be it orchestra / pop / jazz / carnatic / hindustani / jingles etc .
Want to engage my HTIB for music as well.

Last edited:
I am surprised that we dont have much songs in DTS / Dolby tracks. Which means my 5.1/7.1 is only meant for movies ?

Music can be any category be it orchestra / pop / jazz / carnatic / hindustani / jingles etc .

There is a certain reluctance among 'audiophiles' to accept that music can be in 5.1 or 7.1. Because of this neither SACD nor DVD-A ever became mainstream.

As I said before, you will find very few Indian music in DVD-A. For a list of Western albums please visit DVD Audio | Acoustic Sounds.

In Chennai, the Landmark in Spencers maintained a few copies of SACD/DVD-A. Next time you go there, please check it out.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

The following titles available with me in DVD-A 5.1 are : Vettaiyadu Vilayadu, Boys, Slumdog Millionaire, Sivaji, Dhoom, Minnale, MJ's discography.

As Mr. Venkat said, you will find it hard to get them, as they do not seem to be selling as normal audio CDs. Also, some sound really horrible with funny sound mixing.

Cheers!

No no no. I remember in one of the threads from Ram , "Garbage In is Garbage out" . So I was not trying to convert my mp3's to 5.1 for sure. Only want to replace them subject to availability
[/QUOTE]

I upsampled an MP3 and FLAC to DTS and played it via my HTB. It just had increased sound or volume and nothing else. It was a artificial gain in the volume, I much preferred the original FLAC in 2.0 format for its clarity and sound stage than a DTS gained volume.

DOlby & DTS are traditionally made for movie sound reproduction with specific emphasis on frequencies for brief period of time and the effects of such tones (eg., helicopter flying by, dino walking and what not). When music engineers tried to produce multi channel audio, it was aimed to create a better soundstage (separate of instruments and vocals across the speakers). Time from Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon SACD is a good example. but this requires a lot of re-engineering, is fraught with errors and goes against the normal nature of music listening wherein we dont look to the centre channel, surrounds and effect speakers to create the effect as most originals were recorded in 2 channel. In many ways, its bastardizing the other speakres that creates a multi channel form. This is the reason the DVD-A from Dhoom and others are horrible sounding at best.

To be honest, i would not invest on multi channel music if you want to run the HTiB through the paces. You need really good recordings and equally good equipment to get emotionally involved.

There is a certain reluctance among 'audiophiles' to accept that music can be in 5.1 or 7.1. Because of this neither SACD nor DVD-A ever became mainstream.
As Mr. Venkat said, you will find it hard to get them, as they do not seem to be selling as normal audio CDs. Also, some sound really horrible with funny sound mixing.
Cheers!
DOlby & DTS ..
In many ways, its bastardizing the other speakres that creates a multi channel form. This is the reason the DVD-A from Dhoom and others are horrible sounding at best.
venkat / svenkateshsmart / marsilians,
I recently downloaded dts version of Minnale from the net for free and I am quite impressed to hear the same song from a different perspective, surrounded by speakers with seperate track as against the traditional stereo version.
But I am also surprised that this version of music is having very few fans like me. May be I am bit biased as I have recently purchased my HTIB. (Only time will tell, I suppose )

In Chennai, the Landmark in Spencers maintained a few copies of SACD/DVD-A. Next time you go there, please check it out.
Cheers
I checked Spencer's MusicWorld & also Adyar's Odyssey for surround track but in vain.
Was not aware that SACD/DVD-A is meant for Surround. Will check again.

Hi,
The following titles available with me in DVD-A 5.1 are : Vettaiyadu Vilayadu, Boys, Slumdog Millionaire, Sivaji, Dhoom, Minnale, MJ's discography.
svenkateshsmart,
Did you bought those titles from any specific shop or just downloaded from any torrent.
Can you please provide me the details to hunt them.

Hi,

Just stumbled upon this and thought this will be useful for you, 5.1 DTS fan! I am still a fan of 5.1 DTS audio, but of late I find myself quite attracted to old songs, especially Ilayaraja's, so kind of started liking stereo.

Adhiradikaran - Sivaji
My Name Is Billa - Billa
Devuda Devuda - Chandramukhi
Seval Kodi - Billa
Ballelakka - Sivaji
Vethalaiya Potaendi - Billa
Dolu Doluthan - Pokkiri
Girl Friend - Boys
Boom Boom - Raam
Machakari - Sillunu Oru Kaadhal
Uyirin Uyirae - Kaaka Kaaka
Nee Mutham - Pokkiri
Rahathullah - Ghajini
En Aasai Mythiliyae - Manmadhan
Thoodhu Varuma - Kaaka Kaaka
Emmadi Aathadi - Vallavan

Removed it from here and sent you a pm. Enjoy!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to this forum. I will be very glad to know from friends where can I get Audio Cds of Ilayaraja Hits and ARR old movies. I tried everywhere but could not find. As discussed MP3 is not an option. There is nothing to match original Audio CDs quality. Thanks

Try

New Music India
7/4 LB Road, Adyar Signal
Chennai - 600020

Phone 2491 8672
2490 0082

If you go to the shop, ask for Feroz Khan.

They have a huge collection of Tamil CDs. If they dont have the CD, they will get it for you.

Cheers

Ilayaraja's songs - You can get from Ilayaraja Muthusamy of Honeybeemusic in Coimbatore. Check Honeybee music website for his contact details.

New Movie songs - Available in tamilhdaudio.net for sale as well as download.

All above are in DTS or DD 5.1 format

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back