Which Active Speakers to look at?

OMG! Never expected that if I moved from IEM and CANS to Stereo Setups, then even you will think of doing same. But seriously its a equally good / bad move.

Although i settled with a pair of decent FS speakers with a yamaha A-S500 Amplifier, but still struggling to find that decent sound which we always desire.

Well for actives , do strongly consider the sonodyne SM100k Active monitors. They are priced at 68k for a pair and are actually recommended by many studio users. Do a google and you'll get pretty good info.

Actually, it's the other way around - I moved from Speakers to IEMs and thinking about moving back. I went through all the struggle of setting up something decent and thought it wasn't worth worrying about. For a fraction of the cost and effort, I got plenty of variety with IEMs - something difficult to replicate when it comes to speakers. Of course IEMs <> Speakers.

Dr. Bass mentioned about Sonodyne here. Will look into it.

Last edited:
Actually, it's the other way around - I moved from Speakers to IEMs and thinking about moving back. I went through all the struggle of setting up something decent and thought it wasn't worth worrying about. For a fraction of the cost and effort, more variety with IEMs, but of course IEMs <> Speakers.

Dr. Bass mentioned about Sonodyne here. Will look into it.

The kind of taste we have developed for IEM's, After doing a lot of buying trying and selling IEM's / CAN's i figured out that nothing less than a JH16 pro custom fit will satisfy our lust for that 'Oh WoW' beautiful sound. So I decided to take the speakers route before directly hitting on the JH16pro, also there availability for we Indians is a big concern. I am not really very comfortable ordering directly with them, I strongly wish that any Indian dealer shall soon get them arranged for us.

I too have a long wish list with IEMs and headphones (and matching equipment). If I were to buy all of them, I think it would hit somewhere close to $20K easily ;)

But then....we can keep on upgrading for the last 5-10% forever without actually hitting them, because there's always something 'better' or slightly different around the corner. When listening to music becomes a chore, making you think about the tiny shortcomings of the gear than the music, it's time to step away and do something about it. That is what I hope to do with speakers. Different setup, different kind of things to explore. Perhaps, I'll get back that habit of just listening to music with the right speaker :)

Just my 2 cents.
I have had the Aktimate Maxi for about a year.
Absolutely brilliant pair of speakers and they have a lot of nice features.
Sound quality is really good, plus they have a lcd display, built in ipod-dock and also am/fm tuner.
All of this together makes it an attractive package to look at.

While a Stax SR-009 rig would be part of any 'dream setup', there's always a place for a dynamic headphone, an Orthodynamic, custom IEM, a good DAC, a tube headphone amp and a solid state headphone amp. What's life without variety when you have space for it? ;)

Yes! Space here to store this, Enough Space for equipment, this Space and/or Space for the content OR as in my case wild dreams that extends far beyond Space.

Also consider KRK ROKIT 8 , I have start looking for a pair of active monitors for myself also. Upon all my research I have been trying to find the best VFM option. No offense there are plenty of top end manufactures for active monitors, but I believe this KRK Rokit 8 for the money it comes for is perfectly a VFM buy. The 8inch driver assures that you'll never be shirt of the low end notes and nothing to doubt about the mids and highs, they are already praised for just every KRK monitor.

BAJAAO.com is the only re-seller in india I have found to be selling KRK monitors. The pricing is insane , compared to the international US $ prices.

Kindly look at the KRK Rokit 8 seriously and also lookout for best possible pricing, internationally they are approx 30k for a pair. If somehow this prices matches with the price of any indian re-seller then I am IN for a pair ;) :clapping:

dont recommend .. just to look at
Takstar Wooden Desktop Speakers M6, India - DinoDirect.com

Wooden-Desktop-Speakers-M6.jpg

@ esanthosh - Sir, Waiting for an update from your end.
Did u finalised something.

I am tired of reading about active monitors, and narrowed down to Rokit 6 /8 only ( considering budget). Even the behringer truth B2030A / B2031A.

Genelac / Mackie / Adam , all seems too highly priced for indians specially.

What have u narrowed down to ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back