Which Active Speakers to look at?

esanthosh

Long post. Sorry for that :eek:

TL;DR: Moving from IEMs, Do not have luxury of space. Would Active monitors fit my need? If yes, which models?

Background:

Complete n00b when it comes to speakers.

Own - a somewhat decent HT with Marantz SR6006 -> Wharf 10.X (10.6, 10CS, 10DFS, 150SW) that suits my purpose (AVR upgraded from SR5004 last year, Speakers the same as the ~ last 3 yrs).

Owned - Audire IO2 with Topping TP20, then Emotiva USP-1 + UPA-2 for about an year before selling.

Marantz + Wharf was a blind buy. I did audition with IO2, but at that time, I did not know my sound preferences well enough and never achieved the optimum synergy for IO2.

Due to the power shortage that existed back then AND the fact that I was deriving more pleasure and better results buying IEMs, I switched completely to portable audio post selling the speaker setup. While I never tried $1000+ IEMs or top of the line customs, it was a satisfying experience exploring IEMs ranging from Rs. 400 to $400. Given the small storage space requirement, I have experimented with lot of portable sources as well (DAPs and Amps). I like the idea of trying out various signatures without cleaning out my bank balance.

Why am I considering moving to Speakers?

Of late, I am growing tired of sticking things inside my ear, especially those deep fitting ones like Etymotic. My ears are not as forgiving as before, mostly because I do lot of comparisons and inserting and removing IEMs frequently is not nice on the ears. After a tedious week of listening to IEMs, I need to keep them off for a couple of weeks before feeling alright.

Secondly, I feel the need to keep my ears open and available (elderly people and frequent hospital visits). Isolating myself with IEMs is a bit difficult unless I do it very late at night after everybody is asleep - tiring myself in the process.

I briefly tried Airplay from my iPad 3 (FLACPlayer), but was dissatisfied with the results (say a $10 IEM). I also tried iPad -> CCK -> NuForce Impulse USB Cable -> DacMini CX -> AVR (CD: Input, Pure Direct mode) which was much better. But, I feel that the combo had more bass than desired, obscuring the mid range a bit and the clarity is not what I can live with (more like a $30-50 IEM). The only combo that was mildly entertaining (like a good $80-100) was QLS QA350 Mod v2: Coax -> Audioquest VDM-A Cable -> DacMini CX -> AVR (PureDirect). It was nice with most tracks, but started losing my interest once I tried Symphonies (less mid-bass and less warmth in the mid range, slightly recessed vocals, but better resolution and clarity, less sibilant, better treble). My listening volume at 15' was around 70 SPL with peak at 82 (not sure how accurate it is, but to give you a rough idea).

I thought about getting back to speakers, but...

• Space is at a premium. Do not have dedicated room.
  • Cannot blast Opeth at full volume in the dead of the night. Akerfeldt's growls are not the same as people talking in Japanese/Korean when using HT. The truce and harmony with neighbours could be broken.
  • I am used to the variety and the convenience IEMs offer. I cannot possibly get such variety in the speaker world unless I want to clean out my bank account.
  • Unlike IEMs in which final signature is mostly limited to Source and IEM followed by amps, there are too many variables in Speakers including room, my listening position, reflections etc.,. I'd like to keep things simple and not worry much about upgrading this or that all the time.

Questions

1. Am I right in thinking that the variables come down in the case of actives (as in number of separate boxes)?
  2. Considering I do not have the luxury of keeping 3-4 different setups, something which has the least coloration and good transparency should do better. In this context, would Active Monitors with near field listening serve my purpose?
  3. I'd reckon room would still be a factor. But, is it that huge a factor compared to FS? Does room correction using software work OK in that case? Since this is not a dedicated room, do not want to fill it with panels and foams.
  4. I do not want to spend too much now as I want to first experience what they are over a period of time. My budget is about 30-50K and can be stretched a bit if it brings better performance. Based on my IEM experience, I may be settling in for a budget/mid-tier, which is fine with me.
  5. Would I always need a Sub to go with the Active Monitors? I prefer a cleaner, quicker bass with some quantity than anything boosted. Of course, I like the < 50Hz range from IEMs, but not sure if I should expect that from tiny monitors.
  6. Music wise, I listen to lot of Prog Rock/Metal and am just getting a little into Jazz/Classical. Bass-heavy music and Vocals are more infrequent. Not sure how this translates to speakers - I am more particular about sound signature than the genres I play, something to do with my view that IEMs are different colored glasses looking at the same object. More fan of a detailed, balanced signature - adequate bass, clear and detailed mid range, good treble, decently sized sound stage with good imaging. If such a speaker is available in the range, would gladly take it. If it can only be found in 1L+ range, I'd settle for something lighter on the pocket in the 10-30K range and will upgrade later on.
  7. What brands and models to consider - Genelec / Adam Audio / Rokit? I like the tiny looks of the Genelec. How are the Swans compared to these brands?

Last edited:
What brands and models to consider - Genelec / Adam Audio / Rokit?
If you really want uncoloured music, then I don't think you can go far wrong in buying one of the brands that are bought by professionals for actual studio monitoring. Do remember, though, that tell-it-like-it-is speakers are not flattering to music: pros use them to find out where the faults are.
Would I always need a Sub to go with the Active Monitors?
When it comes to pro kit, I suspect that stuff like frequency response graphs, ranges, etc, are for real, not just stuff to doctor and decorate brochures with. The reason I suspect this is because they are selling to people who can actually measure these things, and who are not going to be happy if they find they have been given bullshit. Just my theory!

You can clearly see, from Genelec's specifications, for instance, that their smallest speakers just do not do deep lows. They claim, by the way, that their speakers, from smallest to biggest, are all designed/engineered to have the same sound signature, differing only in SPL, and in the frequency range of those diddy ones. You might feel the need for the subwoofer.
I'd reckon room would still be a factor. But, is it that huge a factor compared to FS? Does room correction using software work OK in that case?
Genelec have a range with DSP built in, and come with a microphone and correction software. KRK (Rokit) have an add-on device (which I suppose could be used with any speakers).

Last edited:
Do remember, though, that tell-it-like-it-is speakers are not flattering to music: pros use them to find out where the faults are.

I went through many colored IEMs, but finding something tastefully colored according to my preferences was always difficult. I've also come across a few 'flat' IEMs which are cold with no emotional attachment. But, 'flat' when done right need not be boring and can actually be much more engaging than colored phones (Phonak PFE has stayed for nearly 3 years when everything around it came and went). I just hope there's something decent around in my budget in speakers too.

I think I will get the 2.0 first and then if needed worry about the sub-woofer later on. Just don't want to spend too much just to get my feet wet. So, which models should I consider?

esantosh,

whats your budget like ? FM naviworks recently got an active 2.0 system.

BTW.. FM Denom is also on the prowl for something like this and maybe you could compare notes / share ideas.

mpw

I went through many colored IEMs, but finding something tastefully colored according to my preferences was always difficult. I've also come across a few 'flat' IEMs which are cold with no emotional attachment. But, 'flat' when done right need not be boring and can actually be much more engaging than colored phones (Phonak PFE has stayed for nearly 3 years when everything around it came and went). I just hope there's something decent around in my budget in speakers too.

I think I will get the 2.0 first and then if needed worry about the sub-woofer later on. Just don't want to spend too much just to get my feet wet. So, which models should I consider?

Go for the speaker that gives you the best deal in terms of sound quality and don't forget to see the reviews on them.

Kef has just launched an active version X300A with dac for around USD800, google it for details. Also no idea on the Indian pricing & availability.
All the best.
Cheers

I am watching this thread quite closely as I have a similar preference albeit more long term. It is also surprisingly hard to find good reviews of active speakers - most are about studio monitors in a studio environment, and everyone leaves it off by saying that they are not suitable in a home setup because they are too neutral. Then, there are sporadic references about Genelec being the most suitable among the bunch.

The attractive thing about active speakers or active monitors is that they seem to be very well made especially at their price points, usually have independent amps for the tweeter and woofer, sometimes have inbuilt EQ, and are an extremely attractive proposition for many of us living in pigeonhole sized apartments.

and (I guess) you can tune the sound, either by room placement or, if your are playing from PC, by using equalisation --- so, if something other than the flat response that you spent so much on is what you want, even temporarily, it can all be done

From what I have seen, the KRK Rokit allows you to control the volume of the tweeter to customize the sound for your room and/or your tastes.

Last edited:
It would also be very interesting to hear about a home audio comparison in the low end price range - KRK Rokit, Mackie, Behringer; and also a comparison in the higher end price range - Genelec, Adam, and Dynaudio. I suspect that the high end options might be more suitable for home audio.

Quite a few studio monitor speakers allow manual tuning of high and low frequencies.

which is what every speaker or amplifier should have, no? It surprises me that people try to treat their room instead of first trying to control/equalize the sound.

Genelec is good. I've heard them.

I've owned AudioEngine A5 and its excellent. Now my nephew enjoys it daily.

Personally, I'd vote for Genelec, more expensive but also more neutral and lifelike.

Personally, I'd vote for Genelec
So would I, but with the proviso of mentioning that, from the list in the opening post, I know nothing about Adam, except that their reputation is excellent. Interesting ribbon tweeters, I think?

So would I, but with the proviso of mentioning that, from the list in the opening post, I know nothing about Adam, except that their reputation is excellent. Interesting ribbon tweeters, I think?

Have not heard them.

@OP - Also, consider AVI ADM9s. They are excellent. The ADM9 was a previous model, now its ADM9T.

So many options now. I only wish I could audition one or two before taking the plunge.

Any idea how good are the DACs inside the Active Speakers? I just see them mentioned as 'reference DAC' most of the time, which does not convey anything. I already have a decent DAC (6Moons review of DacMini CX). I am guessing it may be better than the one inside the speaker.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back