Which amp for BE-718 and Ayon CD-1s?

Yes, you should be looking at the blumenhofers ! I had two extended listens to the two models in town. The Fun 17 and Genuin 4.2. They are some of the best loudspeakers I have heard in the last five years or so!

The design is different from your regular speakers. They have wave guided tweeters and very dynamic sounding woofer designs. Extremely dynamic and lively loudspeakers which keep the connection with the performer intact.

I can draw a parallel to these speakers with the emerald physics. Folks who like the emerald physics will like the blumenhofers too.

I am intrigued square - what is the pricing?
Cheers
Sid

Hi Amit
I would suggest a less complicated approach if you can swing it -
since you like the mids and highs on the Usher and lack only the dynamic bass, you will need to pair it with a higher power amp and you are done. You have had this speaker for a year now and are in a much better position to judge what you like about it rather than from people who have heard it once or twice.
On the power amp part, based on my customer feedback, I would not advise on the Bryston amps (7BSST was the reference used) with the Ayon CD-1s. It could end up being too much of a good thing. Rather, you should look for a slightly warm or slightly rolled off amp like the McCormack or something similar. Warm side of neutral is what I am referring to (I feel you may like such a pairing better).
As many have said, the Leben is indeed a keeper and you can look at another speaker at your leisure for your bedroom system. On the subject of this amp and finding a speaker, it may be more helpful if you look at other forums as very few people here have experience with this particular amp.

Otherwise, if you are keen to look for a speaker itself, you can do a search on hifivision and you will find plenty of choices which will tend to get repeated here. You need to keep in mind the 15 x 11 room that you need to work with, I dont know if everyone posting here with recommendations are doing this

cheers

@Amit,
I have Usher Mini Dancer 1 DMD which i am driving with Ayon Spirit. The set up works effortlessly in my 24' x 17'x 10.5' living/dining area. I first heard Mini Dancer 1 Berrylium at Sangram's place driven with a basic diy amp (not his
F5). I was not much impressed by the sound. It was ok but not outstanding. After i got the delivery of Ayon Spirit and after some intial break in i lugged the amp to Sangram's place to try once again the Mini Dancers 1. I went with least expectation but to my utter surprise the same Mini Dancers with Ayon Spirit put out the best sound i have heard. Anybody who is saying that Ushers are picky about amplification is right. They need a good power delivery to sing.
Regards

Last edited:
One of the reasons I did not want to write about Be718 is because there are far too many people (some of whom I know well) on this forum who are associated with this speaker. Audiophiles cannot take criticisms about their equipments easily (even if it is true). I too belong to that sect. Though I have been slowly getting immune to it. It is just not worth it to earn hard feelings from fellow audiophiles and friends for the sake of a speaker. Not my philosophy at all.

However in this particular case I had to write because there was a general expectation from me to substantiate my posts with the logic I have in my mind. If I would not have done that I could have been considered crazy and biased. Obviously my posts also could have been taken as garbage.

Anyway, I do not want to write more about these speakers. I would also try not to get into criticism mode at least for these speakers as much as I can in future.

As for speakers suggestion, BLUMENHOFER it is !!!!!
Amazing speaker, almost magical. It will do everything you want at least for your taste of music. This one buy is like multiple level upgrades. You will be happy for a long time IMO. Your Leben will drive it well.

Other speaker that I like for the money and which will be well driven by your amp:
Cadence Avita
Neat Motive 3
Focus Audio Fs688
Spendor S5e
Vienna Acoustics (I forget the model number)
Proac Response 1se
Linn Ninka (may need a little more power)
Odyssey Lorelei

I'd suggest Symphonic line amp.I have auditioned Symphonic line RG7 on BE 718 and they together delivered superb sound.
You can consider Symphonic line RG10 Integrated amp (2 x 140 watt at 8 Ohm).

The RG10 is the higher end one, the RG11 or the RG14 may still be reachable...:D

cheers

I am intrigued square - what is the pricing?
Cheers
Sid

I agree with square on the blumenhofer speakers. IMHO they are superb speakers! I loved their open, airy, clean and uncompressed presentation. Soundstage was huge as well. The Genuin should be ~2L with the Fun slightly more. Contact Jochen, I think he has some fantastic offers for early buyers.

Audiophiles cannot take criticisms about their equipments easily (even if it is true).

I'm not sure if that is a correct way of life. Everyone is unique and different, has different likes, dislikes, perceptions, values, principles, strengths, weaknesses etc etc and entitled to form an opinion based on ones own characteristics and also entitled to lead life ones own way.

In forums such as these, people are discussing various things in which they have common interest and each of them is in different stages of journey. Some are newbies, some are in the middle, some are achieving nirvana so on and so forth and all of them will have their opinions which they are entitled to express when asked to.

I do not understand why someone should get upset if someone else differs with his own perceptions. Even if one knows the basis of criticism is true!!! Beats me completely.

This is only my humble opinion and I do not expect every one here to agree with me.:)

Last edited:
I agree with square on the blumenhofer speakers. IMHO they are superb speakers! I loved their open, airy, clean and uncompressed presentation. Soundstage was huge as well. The Genuin should be ~2L with the Fun slightly more. Contact Jochen, I think he has some fantastic offers for early buyers.

May I get the contact no. of Mr. Jochen please. Is he in Bangalore? I may come to Bangalore shortly.

I'm not sure if that is a correct way of life. Everyone is unique and different, has different likes, dislikes, perceptions, values, principles, strengths, weaknesses etc etc and entitled to form an opinion based on ones own characteristics and also entitled to lead life ones own way.

In forums such as these, people are discussing various things in which they have common interest and each of them is in different stages of journey. Some are newbies, some are in the middle, some are achieving nirvana so on and so forth and all of them will have their opinions which they are entitled to express when asked to.

I do not understand why someone should get upset if someone else differs with his own perceptions. If one knows it is true!!! Beats me completely.

This is only my humble opinion and I do not expect every one here to agree with me.:)

Rajesh, your comments are logical, but logic and passion are always at the opposite ends. They cannot be together. This hobby is a result of some deep passion. So, the gears that one has acquired to fulfill this passion is also very close to ones heart. It is not a television or an iphone. It is something much higher. So logic remains back door to a good extent. Emotions take over in most cases. One cannot help it. It is better we understand this feeling and behave accordingly, that way we will remain closer.

Being practical is not always practical ;)

So logic remains back door to a good extent. Emotions take over in most cases. One cannot help it. It is better we understand this feeling and behave accordingly, that way we will remain closer.

Right quote ...spot on, Doc.

Rather, you should look for a slightly warm or slightly rolled off amp like the McCormack or something similar. Warm side of neutral is what I am referring to (I feel you may like such a pairing better).

Hi Sridhar,
See I have used BE-718 for last one year pairing with Leben 300xs. Also I have listened to BE-718 with Jaton Operetta (with an atenuator) for about 3 hours and listened to BE-718 with Bel canto Ref 1000 MK-II with Lyrita pre for about 2 hours. BE-718 has very big plus point in its tweeter, there is not an iota of doubt in it. After listening to this speaker with Leben I have developed the taste of valve amplification, which I doubt I will be fully satisfied with purely SS amp.
Can Ayon Spirit be a probable partner with BE-718? Myriad is happy in using Ayon Spirit with Mini Dancer and as far as I know, his room is more or less close to my room size. But Mini dancer is comparatively more sensitive than Tiny dancer, so I need your opinion about drivability of BE-718 with Ayon Spirit. I do not want loud sound, my only requirement is tight and taut bass. If you say about pairability of BE-718 with Ayon Spirit, I may personally come to Bangalore for listening or request Pratim to listen to this combo, when he will be visiting Bangalore this Sunday.

@amitnoida
The main issue in your present set up seems to be the power mismatch between the Leben and the BE718.As Sridhar has mentioned,a primary factor in your case is the 15x11 room size.Fairly small.If you are happy with the sound of the Leben, all you need to do is find a good sensitive stand mount and you would have a lovely system!For a 165 sq feet room a big brute of an amp would be overkill.
Even your musical preferences seem to be for soft,melodic music so check out the Blumenhofers/Proac's/Spendor's.
Also why not start on your turf and audition the Harmony 1 first.
The Proac distributor also has/had a Studio 130 for app.75K which may work with your Leben.
(Studio 130- Specification)

I am not as experienced as you guys here.
Seems Amit is pretty keen on keeping both, the leben amp and usher speakers.
So may I propose that he buys a very good subwoofer to fill in the gap for dynamic bass issue he is facing?

Even your musical preferences seem to be for soft,melodic music so check out the Blumenhofers/Proac's/Spendor's.

The blumenhofer cannot be termed as soft . Given the right music, it will blast the living daylights out of ya. Not a speaker for sissies !

Am I beginning to sound like a fanboy ??? :annoyed:

Yes, you should be looking at the blumenhofers ! I had two extended listens to the two models in town. The Fun 17 and Genuin 4.2. They are some of the best loudspeakers I have heard in the last five years or so!

The design is different from your regular speakers. They have wave guided tweeters and very dynamic sounding woofer designs. Extremely dynamic and lively loudspeakers which keep the connection with the performer intact.

I can draw a parallel to these speakers with the emerald physics. Folks who like the emerald physics will like the blumenhofers too.

I will definitely like to listen to Blumenhofers. I may get a chance this week end. But square_wave, will they not be a bit overkill for my small room? They are floor standers and has big enclosure compared to a BS. Also, can they be well driven by my Leben 15 WPC amp? As far as I know, the Genuine 4.2 has 90 db at 8 ohm sensitivity. I may not get these clarification even after listening to them in Jochen's place. His room is quite big compared to mine and he will drive it with Einstein hybrid amp with 60 WPC power. Any pointer?

Rajesh, your comments are logical, but logic and passion are always at the opposite ends. They cannot be together. This hobby is a result of some deep passion. So, the gears that one has acquired to fulfill this passion is also very close to ones heart. It is not a television or an iphone. It is something much higher. So logic remains back door to a good extent. Emotions take over in most cases. One cannot help it. It is better we understand this feeling and behave accordingly, that way we will remain closer.

I didn't want to comment but considering the support to that statement, couldn't resist.;) sorry for the OT, OP.

A tongue in cheek comment please. No offenses meant.

If one gets so emotional about ones material possessions, what about people. Flesh and blood. No wonder, even wrongdoers are vehemently supported by not only their kith and kin but even others, birds of same feathers.:rolleyes:

@captrajesh
Recently I had the experience of listening to a fairly expensive set up at someones place.The owner had spent a fair amount of time/money putting his system together.From the very first look/note I did not like what I was seeing and hearing.The overall sound was bright and abrasive.It lacked body and weight.The twin towers seemed to be weapons targetting my eardrums!After 10 minutes of shrill,screaming guitars and hammering drums I had heard ENOUGH and merely wanted to get away without seeming rude.Finally mumbled 'Pretty Good',before gently turning down the volume and changing the topic.The owner meanwhile waxed eloquent about how,thorough research and a great ear for music had enabled him to assemble a fantastic system!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back