Which amp for BE-718 and Ayon CD-1s?

AMITNOIDA

During last 1 year's journey in audio I have acquired following three items:

BE-718 speaker
Leben cs300xs amp
Ayon CD-1s CDP

My room size is around 15x 11 ft. The speakers are placed around 7 ft apart and 3 ft from the rear wall. After putting Ayon CDP the soundstage, clarity, fluidity and detailing have improved and the system provides good midrange and treble which is very musical and involving. Even with ordinary recording CDS in slightly brighter side like most of the Indian CDs sound decent. The digitally mastered 'Golden Hour' Series of RPG are decently listenable. The tracks which does not have drums and bass sound very good, specially guitar, violin, saxophone etc. is charmingly beautiful. But problem starts with the tracks having bass, it is boomy and loose.

I have three options:
1) Change the speaker from BE-718 to a high sensitive (say Omega, Lyrita, Audire)
2) Change Leben to a suitable amp for BE-718
3) Get the components for two systems - one for my drawing room with BE-718, Ayon CDP and a 'Suitable Amp' and other one for my bedroom with Computer as source, Leben Amp and a small speaker (may be Proac Tablette or Harbeth P3ESR).

Now I need suggestion from you regarding the 'Suitable amp' for combining with BE-718 and Ayon CDP.

As a first choice I prefer to an SS integrated amp than pre-power because it would be simple than too many components. But if I don't get a good integrated amp, then I may have to go for pre-power.

Now, question comes about my budget. To be frank, I have already overshoot my budget while acquiring the above three components. But it would be better if I get an used integrated amp around 1-1.5L. Below 1L is better.

Hope, I could explain my requirement. Now I will wait for your suggestions and advice. And of course, if there is any offer from you or from your known circle you may PM me.

hi amitnoida,
IMO the 718 needs a powerful amp. (at-least 150 watts at 8 ohms) to shine, especially to control the troublesome bass frequencies, which tend to sound slow and floppy with low powered amps. I have listened extensively and a good solidstate amp will work well with them - in my case the odyssey stratos extreme works very nicely. Since you have the CD1s why dont you use its volume control option as a pre and run it directly into the power amp. This way you will avoid the expense of a pre and can get a powerful solid state amp. easily within your budget. I know of another member from Hyd. who is using his Cd2 directly into a symphonic line amp. and his setup sounds awesome.
Good luck.
cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Sidvee's suggestion is a good one bro!

As an option, you could look at a Krell Integrated that has come up with Boomerang and an older Mark Levinson poweramp with a pal of mine.

Amit , thanks for strting this thread.

I have exactly the same requirement. The only difference is my cdp is 1 and not 1s . So need a pre which will be DIY passive at present. Planning to upgrade from jaton to a power full amp . I think on detailing and bass control a lot could be improved with better power amp. Budget around 1.25 . Pls suggest.

Amit do u need pre? U can directly use the power amp

Thanks
Pratim

Before suggesting anything, I have something to say. It is very easy to come up with all possible permutations and combination and get lost/confused within the choices. What is important (thus difficult) is to choose the most appropriate combination and work towards it.

The weakest link in your chain by a huge margin are the Ushers. The Leben is too good an amp and even though I have not heard the Ayon CDP, it seems to be a good piece of equipment providing good value. Changing these electronics would only take you backwards. Change the speaker !!!!!!

Get a good/better speaker for about the same budget you have for the amp, something more sensitive and easier to drive and you would be at the next level of audio reproduction immediately. Basically the speaker will allow you to hear what your electronics are capable of.

I am not recommending speakers here because this thread is not meant for that. When and if you start a new thread for the same, we can discuss.

It's a ML 23 with a factory upgrade to make it a ML 23.5.
In pristine condition. Going for about 1 or 1.1L

200 wpc @ 8 ohms (Class A + B)

it's interesting how the Be 718 polarises opinion. I really liked the speakers, but my knowledge and exposure to hi fi is not even a minuscule fraction of Dr. Bass's so I don't know how much it is worth.....but still, at both the experienced and inexperienced audiophile levels I've heard polarised opinion about these.

Dr. Bass just for my enlightenment can you tell me what aspect of the Be718's sound didn't appeal to you?

Before suggesting anything, I have something to say. It is very easy to come up with all possible permutations and combination and get lost/confused within the choices. What is important (thus difficult) is to choose the most appropriate combination and work towards it.

The weakest link in your chain by a huge margin are the Ushers. The Leben is too good an amp and even though I have not heard the Ayon CDP, it seems to be a good piece of equipment providing good value. Changing these electronics would only take you backwards. Change the speaker !!!!!!

Get a good/better speaker for about the same budget you have for the amp, something more sensitive and easier to drive and you would be at the next level of audio reproduction immediately. Basically the speaker will allow you to hear what your electronics are capable of.

I am not recommending speakers here because this thread is not meant for that. When and if you start a new thread for the same, we can discuss.

Dr. Bass just for my enlightenment can you tell me what aspect of the Be718's sound didn't appeal to you?

I will be more than happy to answer your questions about BE-718 or any other product but lets do it through PM.

This is neither a thread to discuss BE-718 nor has it been started by you or me, so let us not hijack it.

I imagine it would be relevant to the thread starter since your suggestion that he change the speakers is a response to his query. The reasons why you think that may be a good idea would by any reasonable estimation be relevant and useful to the querist and wouldn't amount to 'hijacking' the thread. But anyways, forget I asked. I think I've learnt what I need to :)

Omega super 8 might suit your amp and cdp combo well also you already have the brand omega in your options.

One of the hifivision member has real good experience with these speakers so you probably have to speak with him and get some insight.

I will be more than happy to answer your questions about BE-718 or any other product but lets do it through PM.

This is neither a thread to discuss BE-718 nor has it been started by you or me, so let us not hijack it.

I imagine it would be relevant to the thread starter since your suggestion that he change the speakers is a response to his query. The reasons why you think that may be a good idea would by any reasonable estimation be relevant and useful to the querist and wouldn't amount to 'hijacking' the thread.

I agree with Psychotropic here. As long as the discussion is going on in the general direction of the OP, is doesn't tantamount to hijacking the thread IMO.

Moreover, several other members would also get benefited in the process which would not be possible in PM route. PM should be used purely in literal sense. Of course this is my opinion and may not be acceptable to everyone.

I agree as well, it would be interesting to discuss the speakers in question, as the OP wants to improve his overall sound... If he (and us) can discuss the speakers as well, he might just end up saving his monies on wrong upgrades...

And in the end its gonna be his decision as to whether the speakes get changed or the amp!

Personally, I believe that Dr. Bass is on the right track. The Be718's are amongst the most disappointing speakers I have heard.

the culprit may not be the Leben. These speakers are not only hard to drive but also kinda muddy in the mids. Overall, tonally, I have seen a pair of small Proac BS's kill them (all on the same equipment, in the same room, on the same evening).

The power amp was an Usher (Class A+B, don't remember the model), the preamp was a passive...

And guys, please... no flame throwing... I am just expressing my POV. It may be completely different from many of yours, but that how I heard them...

@amitnoida
Ayon/Leben/Proac (Tablette Reference 8 or better still 1sc) sounds like a wonderful combination!
A few months back I had auditioned a (traded in) MBL 321 E with SF stands at Sound of Music,Delhi.It sounded very nice with SOM'S heavy weight gear.If its still around then check it out with YOUR amp and cdp.
Also with YOUR amp and cdp you could check out Viren's Harmony 1.My inclination was more for solid state at the moment which is why I wound up with the Bryston's but I remember the day spent at Lyrita with pleasure.Great amp!Great Speakers!Greatest collection of music!Great coffee and cake!And Viren of course is a wonderful person!
@malvai
Which Krell integrated at Boomarang?Is it a 300 iL by any chance?

I waited two months for the Krell 300iL and was finally told that it was NOT available!:sad:
Anyway I am happy with the Bryston's so no regrets!

It just came in last evening... The guy who originally owned it, bought something from them, hence it got available.
But, IMHO, your set up is waaaay better... because a pre/power is a pre/power at the end of the day.
That Krell is a darn good deal when compared to almost ALL the mass market stuff avaialable, but no match to what you have!

With a Leben, you should be looking at a Merlin speaker ! They are a match made in heaven.

Like Sid said, you can make a BE 719 work with the right kind of amplifier but since you have a leben amplifier which is a gem, you should be looking at the possibilities with this amp.

And please stay away from any krell integrated amps.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back