Which Amplifier will go best with Harman Kardon HKTS9 5.1 setup?

apoorvasheth

Hello,

This is Apoorva from Mumbai, India. I have Harman/Kardon Home Theatre in my house. The setup is of Harman Kardon AVR 1700 Amplifier + HKTS 9 5.1 Speakers (2 Rear + 2 Front + 1 Center + 1 Woofer) – All images enclosed. Now, the AVR 1700 has died and the cost of repair is approx Rs. 28’000/- (USD $408.37).

So, I am planning to buy a new Amplifier (Audio Video Receiver). I did an extensive search on the internet and have decided to buy Yamaha RX-V583 Amplifier (Images of this Amplifier and its specs are enclosed) which has all the latest features which includes DTS-X & Dolby Atoms. The complete details can be obtained from this link:

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v583/index.html

I need to understand from all of you on this forum whether buying Yamaha RX-V583 will be the correct choice as I have no idea how well will it create Powerful sound from my HKTS 9 5.1 speaker sets and how deep, clear and true to life + original the sound quality will be?

Does anybody out here have a better Amplifier in mind apart from the Yamaha Amplifier than please do suggest. My budget is upto Rs. 50’000/- (USD $729.24) if I can get a better amplifier than this Yamaha RX-V583 which I presently get for Rs. 44’000 (USD $641.73) from one of the Yamaha Authorized dealers here in Mumbai.

Also, this Yamaha RX-V583 is very soon to go outdated and will be replaced with RX-V585BL. But as I noticed on Yamaha’s website: https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v585/index.html

…the features offered in RX-V585 is much lesser compared to what’s being offered in RX-V583.

So, please provide the best possible suggestion. I just hope my HKTS 9 speakers or the Audio Video receiver, either of it doesn’t get damaged.

Thanks for your time & support in advance!

Regards,
Apoorva.

Attachments

• AVR 1700 Amplifier - Front.jpg
    AVR 1700 Amplifier - Front.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 8
  • AVR 1700 Amplifier - Back.jpg
    AVR 1700 Amplifier - Back.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Yamaha RX-V583 Amplifier.JPG
    Yamaha RX-V583 Amplifier.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Yamaha RX-V583 Specs.JPG
    Yamaha RX-V583 Specs.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Sony TV Setup.JPG
    Sony TV Setup.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 24
It's a good mid level avr. As far as you find useful features it's a good thing. But if you don't use extra features, it's money wasted. Look at Marantz and Denon too. Yamaha service is good in Mumbai, but have seen complaints for Denon and Marantz. What is your source?

It's a good mid level avr. As far as you find useful features it's a good thing. But if you don't use extra features, it's money wasted. Look at Marantz and Denon too. Yamaha service is good in Mumbai, but have seen complaints for Denon and Marantz. What is your source?

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well, I visited one of the authorized dealers of Yamaha who suggested me to buy Yamaha b'coz its not only a Mid Level very good Amplifier but post sales if the Amplifier goes bad than, its cost of repairs are quiet reasonable compared to other Amplifiers.

Even if I go with any other amplifier, it will cost me no lesser than Rs. 35'000/- so its better to go-ahead with the best spending a few more thousands. Even if I decide to buy a new Harman Kardon AVR 171S which come closer to the features that Yamaha Amplifier offers presently, than the cost of it is no lesser than 58k to 65k and with the absence of DTS X & Dolby Atmos and many other features which Yamaha offers but Harman Kardon AVR 171S doesn't. Again, Yamaha RX-V583 is a 7.2ch so I can look at no lesser than 7.2ch if I have to consider an option & AVR 171S is the only Amplifier in Harman Boutique of products that offers 7.2ch while others (151S & 161S) are 5.1ch which will than be a total waste of money for me to invest into.

There is one more challenge if I decide to buy Yamaha or any other Amplifier. The authorized dealer said we will only deliver the product. No setup will be done in it. If I want a professional setup to be done than, I have to pay an additional Rs. 2'000/-. I told the dealer that the speakers are already hanging on the wall. Its just that I need the wires to be connected to the Amplifier and On screen settings related to the speakers to be done. The dealer replied that sending a professional engineer from his office will involve atleast 3-4hrs of his time so he has to charge for this.

So, what I have decided is that let the amplifier be delivered at my house. I'll connect all the wires by myself as I had disconnected the wires from the dead AVR 1700 earlier. Once ON, I'll connect the Mic and use auto function for Yamaha to decide the best settings. This should most probably do the job and that too more accurately without the need to spend another 2k. Its better to get an Amazon Prime Video year subscription in that cost and still save lots of money....(-:

I couldn't understand this question - "What is your source"?

Regards,
Apoorva.

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well, I visited one of the authorized dealers of Yamaha who suggested me to buy Yamaha b'coz its not only a Mid Level very good Amplifier but post sales if the Amplifier goes bad than, its cost of repairs are quiet reasonable compared to other Amplifiers.

Even if I go with any other amplifier, it will cost me no lesser than Rs. 35'000/- so its better to go-ahead with the best spending a few more thousands. Even if I decide to buy a new Harman Kardon AVR 171S which come closer to the features that Yamaha Amplifier offers presently, than the cost of it is no lesser than 58k to 65k and with the absence of DTS X & Dolby Atmos and many other features which Yamaha offers but Harman Kardon AVR 171S doesn't. Again, Yamaha RX-V583 is a 7.2ch so I can look at no lesser than 7.2ch if I have to consider an option & AVR 171S is the only Amplifier in Harman Boutique of products that offers 7.2ch while others (151S & 161S) are 5.1ch which will than be a total waste of money for me to invest into.

There is one more challenge if I decide to buy Yamaha or any other Amplifier. The authorized dealer said we will only deliver the product. No setup will be done in it. If I want a professional setup to be done than, I have to pay an additional Rs. 2'000/-. I told the dealer that the speakers are already hanging on the wall. Its just that I need the wires to be connected to the Amplifier and On screen settings related to the speakers to be done. The dealer replied that sending a professional engineer from his office will involve atleast 3-4hrs of his time so he has to charge for this.

So, what I have decided is that let the amplifier be delivered at my house. I'll connect all the wires by myself as I had disconnected the wires from the dead AVR 1700 earlier. Once ON, I'll connect the Mic and use auto function for Yamaha to decide the best settings. This should most probably do the job and that too more accurately without the need to spend another 2k. Its better to get an Amazon Prime Video year subscription in that cost and still save lots of money....(-:

I couldn't understand this question - "What is your source"?

Regards,
Apoorva.
Source means ,do you intend to use Bluray disk player or computer playback/TV. If you play disc's, you will get the best output as far as quality goes. Dolby atmos requires you to have additional speakers installed on the ceiling.
The AVR you have selected is a 7.2 channel system. You have a 5.1 system. Unless you intend to upgrade to more speakers, this avr would be an overkill. You can get 5.1 AVR for lesser.

Source means ,do you intend to use Bluray disk player or computer playback/TV. If you play disc's, you will get the best output as far as quality goes. Dolby atmos requires you to have additional speakers installed on the ceiling.
The AVR you have selected is a 7.2 channel system. You have a 5.1 system. Unless you intend to upgrade to more speakers, this avr would be an overkill. You can get 5.1 AVR for lesser.

Thanks for your reply! Well, my Amplifier will be connected to my SONY KD-65X8500D LCD TV so I look forward to 4K level clarity (Since this has 4K HDR in it) and a fabulous Sound Quality from my HKTS 9 speakers. At the moment, I am not at all satisfied with the picture quality of my such an expensive SONY TV. It is just like some other ordinary TV. Airtel HD Box has been connected to this TV. I had been expecting a neat, clean, crisp and beautiful picture quality out of this SONY TV but it turned out to be Rubbish & Pathetic in terms of picture quality. The people from SONY came at my house just for a mere formality and said customer's TV receives 720p resolution and demands for 4K level clarity and why shouldn't I when I have spent above 2 lakhs on this TV just to watch a standard level of picture quality?

It was the fault of the engineers in Japan where SONY manufactures these TVs wherein they should have had to do a research of the content that is available in India before going ahead with the manufacturing of such an expensive TV and their research could have revealed that 4K in India is no-where to be seen so rather than waiting for the 4K content to be out, it would have been immensely better for them to create an internal upscale technology in the TV itself to atleast uplift the picture quality to 80% of the 4K which would have then made the picture clarity look just amazing but sadly, that's not the case out here. I have escalated the matter to their Chairman & Customer Care team via emails after emails after emails but SONY employees & their Top Management are such SHAMELESS & PATHETIC that they have turned away their faces from my complaints and have CHEATED ME with this CHEAP PICTURE QUALITY SONY product just b'coz they got the money that I paid them. SONY IS A WORSE COMPANY & SO ARE THEIR PRODUCTS.

Anyway'z, coming back to this discussion, kindly suggest which will be the best amplifier to achieve an outstanding audio effects? Someone suggested me that it is the speakers which has to be the best and not an expensive amplifier. An amplifier's job is to just boost the sound from all the speakers. So unless I am on a look out for best features, to buy this Yamaha RXV-583 is a complete waste of money. I am completely confused....

Apoorva.

Thanks for your reply! Well, my Amplifier will be connected to my SONY KD-65X8500D LCD TV so I look forward to 4K level clarity (Since this has 4K HDR in it) and a fabulous Sound Quality from my HKTS 9 speakers. At the moment, I am not at all satisfied with the picture quality of my such an expensive SONY TV. It is just like some other ordinary TV. Airtel HD Box has been connected to this TV. I had been expecting a neat, clean, crisp and beautiful picture quality out of this SONY TV but it turned out to be Rubbish & Pathetic in terms of picture quality. The people from SONY came at my house just for a mere formality and said customer's TV receives 720p resolution and demands for 4K level clarity and why shouldn't I when I have spent above 2 lakhs on this TV just to watch a standard level of picture quality?

It was the fault of the engineers in Japan where SONY manufactures these TVs wherein they should have had to do a research of the content that is available in India before going ahead with the manufacturing of such an expensive TV and their research could have revealed that 4K in India is no-where to be seen so rather than waiting for the 4K content to be out, it would have been immensely better for them to create an internal upscale technology in the TV itself to atleast uplift the picture quality to 80% of the 4K which would have then made the picture clarity look just amazing but sadly, that's not the case out here. I have escalated the matter to their Chairman & Customer Care team via emails after emails after emails but SONY employees & their Top Management are such SHAMELESS & PATHETIC that they have turned away their faces from my complaints and have CHEATED ME with this CHEAP PICTURE QUALITY SONY product just b'coz they got the money that I paid them. SONY IS A WORSE COMPANY & SO ARE THEIR PRODUCTS.

Anyway'z, coming back to this discussion, kindly suggest which will be the best amplifier to achieve an outstanding audio effects? Someone suggested me that it is the speakers which has to be the best and not an expensive amplifier. An amplifier's job is to just boost the sound from all the speakers. So unless I am on a look out for best features, to buy this Yamaha RXV-583 is a complete waste of money. I am completely confused....

Apoorva.
LOL! Dont blame Sony . To enjoy 4k from local channels is a long way off. You can hook up something to stream YouTube and other online content in 4K to enjoy it. For broadcast it is useless.
But the same goes for Home theater systems. You have to use the best source to enjoy high quality sound. Bluray in this case is a clear winner. Next is Internet stuff. last is broadcast. Also speaker placement is paramount for great experience. SO take it slowly and think about it. More features are handy if you use them. Else it is just a sad mental satisfaction. Your speakers will be the bigger deciding factor in the over all sound quality you get. Yamaha 'might' deliver better quality than the Harman Kardon AVR, but it will not give you significant quality boost.
Think about it, never rush, and take advice from old fart's like us.(or not);)

Also looking at the image of your setup, is see your spekaers are way higher up than they should be. Bring them down to your earlevel when seated. Maybe put the center channel below the TV. Try it.

Also looking at the image of your setup, is see your spekaers are way higher up than they should be. Bring them down to your earlevel when seated. Maybe put the center channel below the TV. Try it.

Thanks for your suggestion which even I had thought of but I really now wouldn't want to take any risk of changing these speakers position as I need to appoint a person to do this job and his one mistake will cost me my SONY TV worth more than 2 lakhs.

LOL! Don't blame Sony . To enjoy 4k from local channels is a long way off. You can hook up something to stream YouTube and other online content in 4K to enjoy it. For broadcast it is useless.
But the same goes for Home theatre systems. You have to use the best source to enjoy high quality sound. Bluray in this case is a clear winner. Next is Internet stuff. last is broadcast. Also speaker placement is paramount for great experience. SO take it slowly and think about it. More features are handy if you use them. Else it is just a sad mental satisfaction. Your speakers will be the bigger deciding factor in the over all sound quality you get. Yamaha 'might' deliver better quality than the Harman Kardon AVR, but it will not give you significant quality boost.
Think about it, never rush, and take advice from old fart's like us.(or not);)

Thanks for explaining it so well to me, appreciable! But the reason to blame SONY is b'coz they should have not taken more than Rs. 50'000/- from customers if their products cannot deliver the desired results & at par performance (in this case - sharp picture quality), be whatever the source may be. Its a serious failure in their product's performance, which I haven't paid my hard earned money for.

Just like in any MNC, employees that get recruited at higher post with salary of 1 Lakh and above have to deliver performance and at par results than no matter whatever the stress, situation, challenges, health condition in their life be, a company has nothing to do with it, else they can get easily replaced with a better one but in this case, I cannot now even think of replacing this hopeless good for nothing SONY TV with L.G. OLED TV which had cost just 14k more than this CRAP SONY TV at the time of my purchase but it was that cheater Sales Representative from SONY at one of the shops from where I bought this garbage who convenienced me to buy SONY TV. The biggest mistake I made and now there isn't a U-turn.

Thanks for explaining it so well to me, appreciable! But the reason to blame SONY is b'coz they should have not taken more than Rs. 50'000/- from customers if their products cannot deliver the desired results & at par performance (in this case - sharp picture quality), be whatever the source may be. Its a serious failure in their product's performance, which I haven't paid my hard earned money for.

Just like in any MNC, employees that get recruited at higher post with salary of 1 Lakh and above have to deliver performance and at par results than no matter whatever the stress, situation, challenges, health condition in their life be, a company has nothing to do with it, else they can get easily replaced with a better one but in this case, I cannot now even think of replacing this hopeless good for nothing SONY TV with L.G. OLED TV which had cost just 14k more than this CRAP SONY TV at the time of my purchase but it was that cheater Sales Representative from SONY at one of the shops from where I bought this garbage who convenienced me to buy SONY TV. The biggest mistake I made and now there isn't a U-turn.

No TV in the world can upscale it like that. That's like making a rocket run on regular diesel and expect the same acceleration and speed as rocket propellant.

Didn't you take a demo of the TV before buying it? Did the salesman assure you that the TV would play all content like the 4k clip they play on loop in the showroom? If he did, then you have a reason to complain.

No TV in the world can upscale it like that. That's like making a rocket run on regular diesel and expect the same acceleration and speed as rocket propellant.

Didn't you take a demo of the TV before buying it? Did the salesman assure you that the TV would play all content like the 4k clip they play on loop in the showroom? If he did, then you have a reason to complain.

Well, the source is not but my huge amount paid for this product is more than rocket! Now, if the company like SONY takes more than 2 lakhs from consumers, it has to be ready to deliver that level of performance. No excuse like diesel, petrol, etc... are acceptable! As I mentioned earlier, it has to perform at its best (near to 80% of 4k clarity) else its not a Rocket (SONY).

Demo doesn't & will never give complete picture until a product is bought home and used for couple of months atleast. They can just connect anything and everything to show in a demo. But until I used this product, I had a very strong mis-conception that SONY is the best when it comes to picture quality but I was so wrong after its usage. I now feel that my L.G. 32inch LCD TV is equally better which I bought for Rs. 25'800/- in 2015. Salesman will never speak truth else he will not be called a Salesman...(-:

If the Salesman speaks the truth than who will complete his targets? (-: Its only after a product is purchased and used for 3-4 months is when one starts noticing its weaknesses. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to those customers who had already bought this SONY 65inch TV at their respective house so that I could have got to see & discuss their experience about the product.

It's very simple - SONY asked XYZ amount. We paid that expensive amount. Now we ask for super performance to match the amount paid, SONY failed to deliver & keep its promise! No excuses in between are acceptable by any consumer across the world.

Apoorva.

"No TV in the world can upscale it like that"....that's b'coz the method of it is yet to be cracked by these TV Manufacturers.

If Rocket can go out of this earth in the space, how difficult shall it be for these T.V. manufacturers to get it done with their skills, expertise & years of experience. But seems like everyone are waiting for each other to crack & come out with almost near to 4K level quality by means of upscale.

The attitude has to be like I'll get this done first before my competitor can even think of it.

There's a old saying. Garbage in, garbage out. I would suggest you calm down and accept your losses. everybody at sometime feels the way you do , but in the end doing diligent research is incumbent upon the buyer. When you see a demo, it is mostly the best any given product can perform. 4K discs are in the market because they are sharper than HD discs. If a TV could update PAL format to look like 4k, we would all be in heaven.
Advertising is a way to attract new customers.
You cannot have better tasting food because you gas stove is 25000 rupees.

There's a old saying. Garbage in, garbage out. I would suggest you calm down and accept your losses. everybody at sometime feels the way you do , but in the end doing diligent research is incumbent upon the buyer. When you see a demo, it is mostly the best any given product can perform. 4K discs are in the market because they are sharper than HD discs. If a TV could update PAL format to look like 4k, we would all be in heaven.
Advertising is a way to attract new customers.
You cannot have better tasting food because you gas stove is 25000 rupees.

Atleast I hope for some very good sound quality from which ever Amplifier I choose to hook up to these HKTS 9 speakers. Atleast good sound can help me forget the worse doings of the SONY. Anyway'z, thanks for your advice.

Also, just in-case I buy Yamaha RXV-583, do you know from where can I get perfect step by step help to connect this AVR and do the on-screen settings as I do not want to end up spending another Rs. 1'500/- to Rs. 2'000/- on an engineer.

Now, the AVR 1700 has died and the cost of repair is approx Rs. 28’000/- (USD $408.37).

This is the same with most of the AVR brands.. The cost of reinstating it (here) is sometimes half of the initial product cost..

Does anybody out here have a better Amplifier in mind apart from the Yamaha Amplifier than please do suggest. My budget is upto Rs. 50’000/-

Consider Onkyo TX NR 787, a 9.2 AVR.. Capable of 5.1.4 layout.. standard 5.1 layout + 4 overhead speakers.. Am not aware of the price.. So please check with any Onkyo dealer in your city.. Please, always negotiate with the dealer for better price..

I need to understand from all of you on this forum whether buying Yamaha RX-V583 will be the correct choice as I have no idea how well will it create Powerful sound from my HKTS 9 5.1 speaker sets and how deep, clear and true to life + original the sound quality will be?

Your new AVR would do a similar job as previous AVR, but with better flexible options to accommodate Atmos / Dts X layout..

I just hope my HKTS 9 speakers or the Audio Video receiver, either of it doesn’t get damaged.

No worries there.. If you have done the settings correctly, the damage to speakers is less likely..

The authorized dealer said we will only deliver the product. No setup will be done in it. If I want a professional setup to be done than, I have to pay an additional Rs. 2'000/-. I told the dealer that the speakers are already hanging on the wall. Its just that I need the wires to be connected to the Amplifier and On screen settings related to the speakers to be done. The dealer replied that sending a professional engineer from his office will involve atleast 3-4hrs of his time so he has to charge for this.

For just connecting wires to AVR, 2K is unreasonable IMO.. Please dot it yourself, and save 2K..

The people from SONY came at my house just for a mere formality and said customer's TV receives 720p resolution and demands for 4K level clarity and why shouldn't I when I have spent above 2 lakhs on this TV just to watch a standard level of picture quality?

4K is 2160p.. Out HD Set top Box transmission is 1080i.. So even with best processing inside, upscaling video will not give you the same impact as demo.. During demo, very good 4K video quality Blu Ray Disc supplied by Sony will be doing the duty.. So that will always be impressive..

We don't even have 1080p transmission for Set top boxes..4K is some years away for us.. But the reality & disappointment is just as you explained..

All is not lost.. You can get back to the witness the same 4K impressive video quality in your place with Blu Ray discs (or) BR Rips.. Atleast your movie watching will be worthwhile..

BTW, i see you have spent 2Lacs for the 4K TV.. Hope you have got 2 yrs extended warranty from Sony.. If not, please get it at the earliest.. Trust me, this will give you some peace of mind for atleast 3 yrs..

W.r.t TV positioning, you have mounted it way higher.. Consider placing the TV on the stand and shifting the AVR below if you can.. Else you can drop the TV height som more inches less than your present position..

w.r.t speakers, as other member @tuff suggested, it is incorrectly placed.. Speakers are best placed / matched with ear level when you are seated in your room.. So consider redoing them for more impactful experience..

Hi All,

While doing further research, I came across this Denon AVR-X1500H Amplifier which offers sure shot 4K Upscaling - something which I had been desperately looking out for, especially after SONY cheated me with a pathetic TV.

Please see the enclosed screenshots. What puzzled me is that while the description mentions about sure shot 4K Upscaling but, the tech specs comparison has cross next to 4k upscaling. So why they have said 2 different things is what I can't understand.

Also, I do not see Denon India website so I aren't sure from where the product will be procured, how will be there after sales service through their service centre when the company itself doesn't have it's presence in India just like Yamaha, Harman, Bose, etc... have their presence.

Also, how good will be the build & quality of this product? Can it withstand the harsh India's climatic conditions, especially "Moisture level in Mumbai city"? These are the questions that doubts me on my purchase decision of any amplifier.

Please throw some light on these queries that I have. Thanks in advance!

Apoorva.

Attachments

• Denon AVR-X1500H.jpg
    Denon AVR-X1500H.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20180808-084037.png
    Screenshot_20180808-084037.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20180808-084223.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-084223.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 7
Also, I do not see Denon India website so I aren't sure from where the product will be procured, how will be there after sales service through their service centre when the company itself doesn't have it's presence in India just like Yamaha, Harman, Bose, etc... have their presence.
Distributor-Network-Details
Screenshot_4.jpg

Please see the enclosed screenshots. What puzzled me is that while the description mentions about sure shot 4K Upscaling but, the tech specs comparison has cross next to 4k upscaling. So why they have said 2 different things is what I can't understand.
Don't really on 4K upscaling very much, For 4K details you need to input 4K then only you can get 4K output.
If you play a 1080P video with upscaling it will look much better, but not = 4K

As of my knowledge till date, no technology can upscale 480P video to 4K.

While doing further research, I came across this Denon AVR-X1500H Amplifier which offers sure shot 4K Upscaling - something which I had been desperately looking out for, especially after SONY cheated me with a pathetic TV.

Denon x 1500 offers only 4K passthough & 1 HDMI output.. If you look at the pic with HDMI as header, there is a mention of 2 HDMI outputs.. So it is referring to x 2500..

May be Denon sales are minuscule here that Denon didn't bother to create a page for India.. Pro FX deal with Denon.. Sales & support is thru them..

Also, how good will be the build & quality of this product? Can it withstand the harsh India's climatic conditions, especially "Moisture level in Mumbai city"? These are the questions that doubts me on my purchase decision of any amplifier.

There have been plenty of Denon owners on the forum, in mumbai too.. This shouldn't be a concern..

Last edited:
Hi All,

Please throw some light on these queries that I have. Thanks in advance!

Apoorva.

Don't waste your money on buying anything which promises 4k Upscaling. Most of them use software to upscale the image which will look only slightly better/sometimes worse than the source image. There is no technology available which will magically make your standard definition cable/STB look like 4k.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back