Which DAC to buy?

ame

Dear Friends

After reading 17 pages of discusion about Beresford DAC ,I am confused.

Will someone guide me on a good VFM DAC?

Thanks in advance.

ame

Dear Friends

Thanks in advance.

ame

Beresford is the VFM one. Others like Cambridge Audio DacMagic are more expensive/not available just about everywhere.

Scott Nixon USB DAC..simple and pure ..based on the venerable Phillips TDA1541 DAC...brilliant.... 250$ new..can find it for 220 used.

Last edited:
Scott Nixon USB DAC..simple and pure ..based on the venerable Phillips TDA1541 DAC...brilliant.... 250$ new..can find it for 220 used.

Once you get used to the non oversampling Philips TDA15xx sound, its very very hard to go back to oversampling DACs. They just sound so mechanical and boring :D.

Once you get used to the non oversampling Philips TDA15xx sound, its very very hard to go back to oversampling DACs. They just sound so mechanical and boring :D.

absolutely dude...however I am optimistic about the upgrade/s I am undertaking to my DIY DAC which as you know is 8x oversampling. ..I am expecting huge gains from Nelson Pass' D1 Clone class A I/V stage that I am putting in.

Hi,
Posting here since my question is exactly the title of the thread. Except I have narrowed down to the following candidates, listed in no particular order:

M-Audio Transit $70

NuForce uDAC $99
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HRT MusicStreamer $99
SoundStage! - The Digital Domain - High Resolution Technologies MusicStreamer Digital-to-Analog Converter (5/2009)

EMU 0202 $99
EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Fubar II $137
6moons audio reviews: Audio Candy from Audio Magic, BPT, Eastern Electric, Firestone Audio & Skylan

Let me describe the system I am trying to configure for my friend, in which the DAC will play an important role:
It is a system that is built for both stereo and HT use. WHF 9.5s form the fronts, and the rest of the 9 series for centre and surround. A NAD T742 AVR (5.1) is used as a preamp, which connects to a Marantz PM7001 (in pure power amp mode). The 7001 powers the fronts and the NAD powers the centre, sub, and surrounds. An HTPC connects to an old Creative soundblaster external card via USB. The Creative connects to the NAD inputs via RCA analog. Foobar with an ASIO plugin bypasses the horrible default Win audio drivers, directly to USB.

The system sounds balanced (to our ears at least). The NAD and Marantz sounds complement each other and the 9.5's characteristics. However, I do feel the Creative is the weak link currently and needs to be improved. Can the forum members please rate these DACS with respect to how well they would suit this particular system's sound signature? Is the $37 of the Fubar II worth the sonic upgrade over the NuForce and HRT Streamer? Is the EMU still better than the others? My friend's budget cannot exceed around $150 so we are not looking at costlier DACs, though I know they exist and sound beautiful.

Thanks for all advice and help in advance,
Jinx.

Last edited:
Bump for post.
If anyone does have any suggestions regarding the 5 DACs in my earlier post, it would be helpful to have some feedback before the sales period (going on now) is over. Thanks again,

Jinx.

Hi,
Posting here since my question is exactly the title of the thread. Except I have narrowed down to the following candidates, listed in no particular order:

M-Audio Transit $70

NuForce uDAC $99
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HRT MusicStreamer $99
SoundStage! - The Digital Domain - High Resolution Technologies MusicStreamer Digital-to-Analog Converter (5/2009)

EMU 0202 $99
EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Fubar II $137
6moons audio reviews: Audio Candy from Audio Magic, BPT, Eastern Electric, Firestone Audio & Skylan

Let me describe the system I am trying to configure for my friend, in which the DAC will play an important role:
It is a system that is built for both stereo and HT use. WHF 9.5s form the fronts, and the rest of the 9 series for centre and surround. A NAD T742 AVR (5.1) is used as a preamp, which connects to a Marantz PM7001 (in pure power amp mode). The 7001 powers the fronts and the NAD powers the centre, sub, and surrounds. An HTPC connects to an old Creative soundblaster external card via USB. The Creative connects to the NAD inputs via RCA analog. Foobar with an ASIO plugin bypasses the horrible default Win audio drivers, directly to USB.

The system sounds balanced (to our ears at least). The NAD and Marantz sounds complement each other and the 9.5's characteristics. However, I do feel the Creative is the weak link currently and needs to be improved. Can the forum members please rate these DACS with respect to how well they would suit this particular system's sound signature? Is the $37 of the Fubar II worth the sonic upgrade over the NuForce and HRT Streamer? Is the EMU still better than the others? My friend's budget cannot exceed around $150 so we are not looking at costlier DACs, though I know they exist and sound beautiful.

Thanks for all advice and help in advance,
Jinx.

Sir ,
I Can Get Anything In Nuforce If We Have Some Orders Like 15 NOs Of udac .

Thanks for the replies.

Amarbir,
I have need for only one DAC and that too, as fast as possible. So I will buy online this time but will keep you in mind for bigger orders next time.

PraveenRaja,
I am not looking for new DAC candidates but any inputs/reviews/sound feedback on how the 5 will fit in the existing system.

Jinx.

Thanks for the replies.

Amarbir,
I have need for only one DAC and that too, as fast as possible. So I will buy online this time but will keep you in mind for bigger orders next time.

PraveenRaja,
I am not looking for new DAC candidates but any inputs/reviews/sound feedback on how the 5 will fit in the existing system.

Jinx.

Well ,
The EF2A Head Direct Has a USB DAC + Twin Tubes .The Specs Of The Same Are Here - > Head-Direct.com | YUIN .The Model Is The EF2A .You Can Get The Same From Me And It Does Not Cost a Arm And Leg

Specs

Improved Output and USB volume.
Input Impedence: 47k
Output Impedence: 32-300 Ohm
Output at 32 Ohm: 3 v, 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 6.2 v, 256
Freqency: 20-20khz +/- 0.2db
S/N: 95db
DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM2702
Tube: China 6J1 * 2 pcs
Input Voltage: 16 v to 18 v; 500 mA
Power Supply: 110 v or 220 v
Size: 14cm*8.5cm* 4.5cm or 5.6"* 3.4" * 1.8"
Defaut computer volume for EF2 USB DAC is 50%. Customer will have to maximize computer volume after connect EF2 as USB DAC.

Last edited:
Dear Friends

Thanks in advance.

ame

This could be the mother-of-all VFM DACs, the Fiio E7. Launch date is within a month from now
In Ear Matters: FiiO E7 + E9 News Update

The price point is expected to be $50-$80 and the finishing looks awesome!

Fiio has released revolutionary VFM products, i'm counting on this one to build my desktop hifi

I'd like to recommend the Pico DAC from headamp.com

Very decent for the money.
Another one is Audio GD 19MK3..go for the one with the PMD100 digital filter for a more warmer musical sound or the DF1704 if you want slightly better detail level.

I'd like to recommend the Pico DAC from headamp.com

Very decent for the money.
Another one is Audio GD 19MK3..go for the one with the PMD100 digital filter for a more warmer musical sound or the DF1704 if you want slightly better detail level.

Sachi, anything you would recommend with usb and digital inputs? Any of those coming in $200?

Amarbir, at what price would you make the head direct dac available?

Last edited:
ajinkya

im sure you read the post on head fi and were convinced that the 202 is only marginally better than the 404
however ive heard a few cards and dacs

the 404 is quite a step up for the price
the dac chip it uses is used in many higher end dacs

i would really advice you to get the 404 over all your 5 choices
the 404 is better by a good margin
the cost difference is not that high to deter one me thinks

i audio
same advice to you too

Last edited:
Dear Friends

Thanks in advance.

ame

I had been looking for the answer to the same question and I found these HOTAUDIO products the cheapest USB DACs that you can buy

USB DACs : HOTAUDIO.COM, Hand Made Audio Perfection!

Prices from $53 to $119 including worldwide USPS shipping.

Prices vary slightly from the ebay store of the same guy (Dave)

eBay Store - Personal Audio: DACs, HEADPHONE AMPLIFIERS

I have read good reviews the net and he seems to be using the popular chips from Wolfson and TI for his DACs, he also uses silver solder which is supposed to be good for output quality and all his DACs are handbuilt.

Dave is extremely responsive on email.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back