Which DVD player is best?

justinsekar

Hi,

I planned to buy a new DVD player. My budget is Rs. 5000/-. I have selected two models(LG-DV 388 & Samsung DVD-1080PK). Now i confused because some one telling samsung is good and some one saying it's bad. Same situation in LG also. I read one review that samsung plays scratched DVD's smoothly. They tested some experiments with DVD-1080PK. Is it true because some one saying samsung won't play DVD's smoothly. Please suggest me which one is good in performance and play DVD's smoothly?

Thanks,
Justin Sekar. V

there is a new model from Sony as well - that has hdmi out, usb in, upscaling and all bells and whistles. It is the first sony I have seen with USB. I think it should be a good buy. Price was 4990 in reliance digital at shipra mall ghaziabad.

regards

Hi,

I planned to buy a new DVD player. My budget is Rs. 5000/-. I have selected two models(LG-DV 388 & Samsung DVD-1080PK). Now i confused because some one telling samsung is good and some one saying it's bad. Same situation in LG also. I read one review that samsung plays scratched DVD's smoothly. They tested some experiments with DVD-1080PK. Is it true because some one saying samsung won't play DVD's smoothly. Please suggest me which one is good in performance and play DVD's smoothly?

Thanks,
Justin Sekar. V

okay let me add to the confusion by adding philips 5996 to the list - which plays all cds peerfectly well, is region free (can be made) and is upconverting and the quality is actually pretty good - anyday better than the LG. I do not have experience of watching the sammy in action so cant say much.

Then again if you can stretch the budget and get the pioneer 610 from the grey market nothing like that. Is a good cd player and a much better upscaling dvd player. I watched a lot of action movies on this babe and think it rocks.

If if you dont want to get into this go safely buy the philips 5996 and you what you get is good VFM.

okay let me add to the confusion by adding philips 5996 to the list - which plays all cds peerfectly well, is region free (can be made) and is upconverting and the quality is actually pretty good - anyday better than the LG. I do not have experience of watching the sammy in action so cant say much.

Then again if you can stretch the budget and get the pioneer 610 from the grey market nothing like that. Is a good cd player and a much better upscaling dvd player. I watched a lot of action movies on this babe and think it rocks.

If if you dont want to get into this go safely buy the philips 5996 and you what you get is good VFM.

+1 to this. Check out the Philips DVP3996 too. Costs around 3-3.5K and comes with a free HDMI cable, has USB support, etc. Also Philips is the best at handling scratched discs and varied media as well as also copied content.

I have 5996 but think Sony may be better. No practical reason to believe it - except that my philips 5986 got bad in less than an year, and my 5996 ran into problems on day one with hdmi. Thankfully I got it resolved ( I need to update the other thread) by sending it back twice. The lens etc module change on 5986 cost me extra 1k because it ran out of 6 months warranty period.

Not sure how good/ bad the new sony is.

regards

I had bad experience with philips 3166 DVD player. Purchased from Reliance store 8 months back and now they say that main IC has to be replaced as making cracking sound

thanks for all of ur comments. I heard Phillips service support is very poor. thats i rejected it.

I won't need HDMI option because i don't have such TV. I need component out and Optical digital audio out.

Any idea about that two models i mentioned?

You can strech your budget & get Pioneer 610 which is best in this range.(6.6k grey)

I have 5996 but think Sony may be better. No practical reason to believe it - except that my philips 5986 got bad in less than an year, and my 5996 ran into problems on day one with hdmi. Thankfully I got it resolved ( I need to update the other thread) by sending it back twice. The lens etc module change on 5986 cost me extra 1k because it ran out of 6 months warranty period.

Not sure how good/ bad the new sony is.

regards

One of my friends got a Sony HTiB with USB and HDMI.. I'm not sure about the model no. One issue I noticed with this player is that it doesn't play DivX files from USB. You have to cut a CD and play it! Better check this if at all you are considering a Sony.
My experience with Philips players has been quite good.

Back