Which DVD Player plays the best with defective DVDs ?

I have tried the same with Brasso.(Read from computer magazine) and was successful a couple of times.Immediately make a copy and proceed.:).

Some recommend even toothpaste !...for the same purpose!

"lint free cloth" and "rub it outwards from the center".This is emphasized by most.

Try cleaning the disk with Gillete Shaving Form....Its realy good :p

Petroleum jelly, furniture wax, Brasso, and shaving foam !!!! I am impressed. :)

Do you guys know that any wax like surface on the CD or DVD will only obstruct the laser beam and create more issues? The lasers in these players are very weak, and any film like addition on top will only aggravate the issue. All the solutions suggested above are meant to reduce friction, and in laser based drives there is no friction at all !! Nothing touches the disc excepting a laser beam.

The other issue with a wax like cleaning method is that some of the wax will be left on the tray, and that will attract and stick dust like mad. In addition, the heat of the laser beam could melt the wax and get it coated on the lens thereby creating more issues.

Though you can use any method to clean the disc, it must be spotless before being inserted into the player. Buy a professional cleaning solution most of which use some form of isopropyl alcohol or weak detergent.

I have generally found that a few drops of pure drinking water and cleaned with a spotless soft cotton cloth is the best. There are some cloth available that actually lift the dirt off the surface such as those used in spectacles.

If there is a physical scratch on the surface, the way the discs are made, data is not lost unless the scratch is very deep. The outer surface is actually a protective layer, and the data is stored on an inner layer. If the scratch is very deep and the inner layer is also scratched, the data is gone, and no amount of cleaning or waxing will bring the data back. I suspect the wax just fills the scratches and helps the laser beam move forward thinking it reading the surface. You will certainly have a part of the video or music skipped, however small the skip will be.

If using wax is a suggested way, I would prefer to get a link and some professional opinion.

I am sure I will be bashed for this, but I find the solutions offered quite strange.

Cheers

Thats true Venkat,

But vasline gelly usually does the trick.
I was trying to copy one movDVD which DVD rom refused.I tried gelly.It didnt work initially,then I rub surface carefully till gel spread uniformly & it worked.

Using wax / cleaner / toothpaste etc. doesnt help much ..........tried it. The best way is to handle the disc with care or go for scratch proof discs in future......:)

Using wax / cleaner / toothpaste etc. doesnt help much ..........tried it. The best way is to handle the disc with care or go for scratch proof discs in future......:)

Nothing is scratch proof ideally.Take care while handling Discs.

Bit of an addendum to Venkats post above.
Gel/jelly/wax/foam fill in the scratches & help in the laser going forward & not getting stuck.
But Brasso is in a difft category; as you know, its' a liquid containing fine abrasive particles in an emulsion,so ,using Brasso properly actually removes scratches, i/o filling them up as the other agents do.
Use a soft lint free cloth & polish from the centre outwards.This'll take care of most scratches except the deep ones which have got to the data/reflective layer, & would enable playing of the discs.
This works.I've posted a detailed article in a thread dealing with scratched discs on this Forum.( post #18 of the thread at -http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/1223-cd-cleaning-2.html -copy/paste in your browser)
Of course, the best practice is to treat your discs with care & respect, e.g not leaving them lying around w/o the jewel cases, not cleaning them by rubbing on the backside of your trousers( I've seen people actually doing that!) etc.But if they do get scratched inadvertently, this method would help out.

Nothing is scratch proof ideally.Take care while handling Discs.

I have great doubt about the hard coating that manufacturers are claiming to be "scratch proof".......will have to check one of the moser baer or tdk cds and dvds to know it better........

Best DVD drive for reading scratched discs - TEST RESULTS / ON-GOING

I found a disc whose 4 VOBs will rip to a different percentage on different DVD-Writers, so have been testing a number of drives out recently to give an indication of their ripping potential. The drives that rip this one disc the best are also, generally, the more powerful and consistent I find - though more testing with different types of scratched discs would yield more accurate results. Also, some are more powerful at reading the TOC than others.

Has any other tests ever been carried out of this kind before? What other brands would you recommend I purchase? Are Blu-ray drives any better at reading DVDs?

Samsung SH-216BB OCT 2012 INT(SATA) 100.00%
Samsung SH-224DB JUN 2014 INT(SATA) 99.99%
Asus DRW-24F1ST APR 2014 INT(SATA) 85.25%
Plextor DVDR PX-891SAW SEP 2013 INT(SATA) 64.50%
Philips/Lite-On 2 eTAU-108 FEB 2010 (WHITE ROUND) EXT 49.25%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-U633F SLIM INT (SATA) 46.00%
Aopen DSW2012PA SEP 2007 INT(IDE) 41.75%
Emprex INT(IDE) 41.50%
BTC BDV-316B FEB 2002 INT(IDE) 41.50%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-U633J SLIM INT (SATA) 39.50%
Philips/Lite-On DH-16A6S INT(SATA) 38.75%
Philips/Lite-On DH-16AES INT(SATA) 38.25%
HITACHI-LG GH82N INT(SATA) 37.75%
Pioneer DVR-221LBK JAN 2014 INT(SATA) 34.00%
Philips/Lite-On PLDS DH-16ABS APR 2011 INT(SATA) 34.00%
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ890AS SLIM INT(SATA) 21.75%
Philips/Lite-On 1 eSAU208 JUN 2007 (BLACK FLAT) EXT 33.25%
BTC DRW1108 2005 INT(IDE) 29.00%
Matshita UJ8E1 SLIM INT (SATA) 25.00%
HP dvd1260i FEB 2013 INT(SATA) 25.00%
Samsung SE-S084 APR 2011 EXT 24.00%
Pioneer DVR-219L INT(SATA) 17.50%
BTC BCO 5216IM OCT 2003 INT(IDE) 14.75%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-H653G May 2009 INT(SATA) 9.50%
Philips/Lite-On 3 (BLACK ROUND) EXT 6.00%
Pioneer EXT On order
Sony AD-5260S-01 INT(SATA) On order
BenQ DW1640 INT(IDE) On order

The Onida DVD players advertised till a few years ago could play "phulkas". Burning a VOB file with video content on to a phulka might be a challenge though (in the first place).[emoji56]

hi
In my view the discs get scrached in the dvd player itself! if the 1.tray is not cleaned regularly in dusty conditions. 2. check the DVD players laser driver belt (strip that connects the lens to the pcb) normally its held to the body by a adhesive tape or nothing, in course of time this strip bends upwards & touches the disc in rotation hence the disc rotates in high speed the bottom side of the disc gets rubbed in cercular motion. so if u see a disc scratched circularly its the laser strip touching in some point. Solution: open ur dvd player insert a disc which is fully recorded, keep pressing next you can see how the laser strip moves, normally hit touches at the outer end of the disc. I had this issue so used a adhesive tape to press the laser strip down to the body. now its fine.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back