Which home theater to purchase for 18x30 size living room

ncm123

Hi,
I want to purchase a home theatre system for my living room which is 30 feet x 18 feet .
I wanted to know if Yamaha YHT 2910 will be enough for this size of the room? I want to basically setup the home theatre + projector in a budget of 1.5 lakh.

I have posted the plan of my living room below so that you can advise better.

HAWTERJ.jpg

That is a big room. IMHO 1.5 lakh might be low budget if you consider projector as Full HD projectors are still expensive (90k and above). Going for a 720p projector will save you good money and you can do much better than the Yamaha 2910. Buying separates will get you much better system than an htib. You being in Mumbai, i suggest going out and auditioning different packages, and see what is out there. Usual Brands for receiver's is Yamaha, Denon, Marantz. Speaker wise try to audition Dali,Polk, Wharfedale etc. I am sure more people will recommend further down.
Make sure you have no direct sunlight or bright ambient light coming through the windows. Projectors like dark rooms.

Projectors are expensive in India, I have LG minibean which I got from UK for 800pounds which costs more than a lakh in India.

Personally, I would not recommend projector in living room beause you will need to cut of all the light evertime. Why not go for 55inch 4k TV instead?
(No problem with light, Better clarity but smaller screensize)

For HT, not much experienced, even I wanted to buy yamaha2910. Now, thanks to this forum I am going for Marantz 1508 with taga5.0 (approx 60k)

Thanks for the replies. I am mostly going to watch movies on netflix/amazon prime or tv sports. Do you think hd is enough or i need to go for fullhd projector.

How do i know or judge if yamaha 2910 or any other speaker is good enough for the size of room ??

@ncm123 Try to audition at different dealers. Cinebels , ProFX, the Shop, HifiMart, MZ distribution etc . Experience what they have to offer and judge it for yourself. Once you listen to a few systems, it will start getting clear which direction you need to go. Most bookshelf speakers with Subwoofer/s should be fine, it all depends how loud you intend to play.
@elangoas and @efernand1 should be able to provide further more details, on how to go about it. You also need to decide before hand how big a screen you intend to have and an approx. viewing distance.

Projectors are expensive in India,

Yes.. They are.. Freaking expensive, especially LG infibeam..

I have LG minibean which I got from UK for 800pounds which costs more than a lakh in India.

I was lucky to get two pieces of LG minibeam, LG PF1500 FHD-LED(35K) & LG PF 1500W FHD-LED(45K), both from US thru my friends.. When i checked here with local retailer, he said 110K.. So all chances you can get 3 projectors from US for the cost of one Projector in India..

Personally, I would not recommend projector in living room beause you will need to cut of all the light evertime. Why not go for 55inch 4k TV instead? (No problem with light, Better clarity but smaller screensize)

Why compromise big screen experience (100+) for smallish 55inch 4K resolution?..

A dark good room is good, but doesn't mean that the images in a living room will look completely washed out.. I have used a low lumen HD projector & a higher lumen FHD projector in my living room for the last 2 years and no regrets.. User can always cut light reflecting to the screen via blinds (or) curtains..

living room which is 30 feet x 18 feet . I wanted to know if Yamaha YHT 2910 will be enough for this size of the room? I want to basically setup the home theatre + projector in a budget of 1.5 lakh. I have posted the plan of my living room below so that you can advise better.

Thanks @tuff .. Yamaha HTIB wouldn't be enough for your room size (or) atleast the speakers that come part of HTIB may be insufficient to fill such a big room..

My suggestion would be, to get a FHD projector from US if you can for abt US $500.. A rough guess, you can easily have a 130 inch screen in your room..

For AVR & speakers, you can consider getting them in India.. Assuming you have 100K budget, you can look at 5.1 AVR + speakers / subs for your room.. Once you have completed the set-up, then upgrade to a 7.1.4 Atmos/Dts X capable AVR (if you wish to)..

Yes.. They are.. Freaking expensive, especially LG infibeam..

I was lucky to get two pieces of LG minibeam, LG PF1500 FHD-LED(35K) & LG PF 1500W FHD-LED(45K), both from US thru my friends.. When i checked here with local retailer, he said 110K.. So all chances you can get 3 projectors from US for the cost of one Projector in India..

Why compromise big screen experience (100+) for smallish 55inch 4K resolution?..

A dark good room is good, but doesn't mean that the images in a living room will look completely washed out.. I have used a low lumen HD projector & a higher lumen FHD projector in my living room for the last 2 years and no regrets.. User can always cut light reflecting to the screen via blinds (or) curtains..

Thanks @tuff .. Yamaha HTIB wouldn't be enough for your room size (or) atleast the speakers that come part of HTIB may be insufficient to fill such a big room..

My suggestion would be, to get a FHD projector from US if you can for abt US $500.. A rough guess, you can easily have a 130 inch screen in your room..

For AVR & speakers, you can consider getting them in India.. Assuming you have 100K budget, you can look at 5.1 AVR + speakers / subs for your room.. Once you have completed the set-up, then upgrade to a 7.1.4 Atmos/Dts X capable AVR (if you wish to)..
Thanks for such a detailed reply.

1) How do i judge that a particular speaker is enough for my room. One consultant told me that you need speakers of atleast 100watts.

2) most of AV receivers have only 1 hdmi output. Do you think i can just use a hdmi splitter to pass hdmi output to projector and tv?

@ncm123 Try to audition at different dealers. Cinebels , ProFX, the Shop, HifiMart, MZ distribution etc . Experience what they have to offer and judge it for yourself. Once you listen to a few systems, it will start getting clear which direction you need to go. Most bookshelf speakers with Subwoofer/s should be fine, it all depends how loud you intend to play.
@elangoas and @efernand1 should be able to provide further more details, on how to go about it. You also need to decide before hand how big a screen you intend to have and an approx. viewing distance.

Thank you for giving the shop names. I am planning to visit 2-3.

I have few questions.
1) projector lifts- are 12 inch heights also available in the projector lifts?

2) how big is the difference between 720 and 1080 projectors?

3) Can a budget of 1.5 to 2 lakhs get me a good setup? I want to spend as less as possible with a great value to money setup.

@ncm123 I ave a wall mount. Never used a lift.
I think it makes a big difference, but 720 p is not bad depending on how far you sit. The further up your seating area is ,the lower resolution you may get away with .Your budget is being mostly eaten up by the projector. Screen and stand will be additional. You may want to go to your nearest Reliance digital or Croma to get a good idea for comparison between 720 and 1080p resolution. A good setup is what you will enjoy without thinking of upgrading in the near future. One more reason to sample different budgeted systems at the dealers.

1) How do i judge that a particular speaker is enough for my room. One consultant told me that you need speakers of atleast 100watts.

Choose a speaker with highest efficiency / sensitivity (dB) in your budget.. The amplifier needs to produce 100 watts or so and the speaker should be able to produce the sustained Sound Pressure Level (SPL) at your listening position..

2) most of AV receivers have only 1 hdmi output. Do you think i can just use a hdmi splitter to pass hdmi output to projector and tv?

Most 5.1 AVR have only 1 HDMI output.. AVR with 2 HDMI output would mostly be associated with 7/9 channel AVR and would start with a 50K + budget.. One example is Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 capable AVR, abt 60K..

VSX-LX303%28B%29_back.jpg

3) Can a budget of 1.5 to 2 lakhs get me a good setup? I want to spend as less as possible with a great value to money setup.

I would suggest you to use the full budget towards a 5.1.4 capable AVR + speakers.. Then finally add the projector.. At-least that way you wouldn't need to upgrade..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back