WHICH HTiB?

srikarkav

hello friends,

i am looking for a modest HTiB for my bedroom to power my Philips dvd 5.1 and my Tata Sky DTH with my Panasonic 29" CRT. I am in a rented apartment to be near to my son's college and my bed room is 10 by 8 only.

My budget is under 20k.I am confused between Philips hts 3569(not available in Philips arena,chennai now-wooden speakers are an attraction with this set) and philips hts3565(available but no demo) and Onkyo HTS3100.My concern with phlips is if the dvd player goes kaput then the entire machine becomes useless. Then i have never had a high opinion about Onkyo brand.Took a demo of philips hts4750 at the arena.These guys have only 5.1 video tamil songs for demo.:rolleyes:So i thought the system was ok. The demo guy said the 3565 will have a slightly lesser effect than the 4750, though both have the same wattage output.My requirement is 50% tv 30% movies and 20% music.Please guide me. Thanks in advance.
sridhar c

Last edited:
Well the problem you have quoted with the Philips is a possibility but lots of people on this forum do use Philips HTIBs and vouch great things about them too. The Onkyo 3100 too is a decent option in your said budget. I personally found the Onkyo sounding better but then I have to admit I could not audition the Philips 4750 and the 3569 was auditioned at E-Zone in an open and also a very noisy place so that might be one reason the 3569 was unimpressive to me at least. Either way lots of supporters for both in the entry level segment and for your specified budget of under 20K you will not go wrong with either of them.

Thanks a lot moser for the quick reply. I think the advantage with onkyo is speakers can be upgraded right? Do u think if i replace the system with better speakers down the line the system will give improved performance?
sridhar c

Thanks a lot moser for the quick reply. I think the advantage with onkyo is speakers can be upgraded right? Do u think if i replace the system with better speakers down the line the system will give improved performance?
sridhar c

Yup, and you can also use the AVR with just 2 speakers for stereo/music separately. In terms of connectivity options the Onkyo due to a separate AVR comes with a lot more options than the Philips.

hi guys,

any more opinions for me here? and how much the onkyo s3100 retails in chennai? phlips 3565 costs 15k. at arena. one advantage the phlips has is it has a usb port which can play movies.
sridhar c

I will also suggest Onkyo as better option to philips becos of power,connectivity,(specially 5.1 analoge input to connect Blueray in future)
Philips comes with stereo input or coax input which is not useful when to think of Blray.

You can upgrade to newer spk with Onkyo.
I have heard Phil3565 which sounds best in its class,but it is limited with options.

hello friends,

i am looking for a modest HTiB for my bedroom to power my Philips dvd 5.1 and my Tata Sky DTH with my Panasonic 29" CRT. I am in a rented apartment to be near to my son's college and my bed room is 10 by 8 only.

My budget is under 20k.I am confused between Philips hts 3569(not available in Philips arena,chennai now-wooden speakers are an attraction with this set) and philips hts3565(available but no demo) and Onkyo HTS3100.My concern with phlips is if the dvd player goes kaput then the entire machine becomes useless. Then i have never had a high opinion about Onkyo brand.Took a demo of philips hts4750 at the arena.These guys have only 5.1 video tamil songs for demo.:rolleyes:So i thought the system was ok. The demo guy said the 3565 will have a slightly lesser effect than the 4750, though both have the same wattage output.My requirement is 50% tv 30% movies and 20% music.Please guide me. Thanks in advance.
sridhar c

Hi

Have your own collection CD's, DVD s and dts audio CD for auditioning, there are dozen dts audio CD's available. By the way let me know where is arena is and post update of the prices.

hi,

philips arena is near the spencer signal on anna salai, beside the avin outlet.if u are going by a vehicle take the service lane from the wellington signal and pass the arena and take a left turn into the club house road.park ur vehicle there and come back to the arena.
they are quoting 22k for hts 4750 and 15k for hts 3565. ezone on OMR gives a better pricing for the same products. 20k and 14390 respectively.

guys,

myself and my son went to ezone for auditioning the onkyo 3100 and philips hts3565. unfortunately they had only philips 3265 for demo. so we listened to it and the onkyo. my son says the onkyo is better and i agreed with him. ofcourse the philips system is 75 watts per channel and onkyos 125 per channel.many guys here say that onkyo is not good for music. but my son says the music is better on the onkyos. he should know becos he hears all kind of crazy music.:) they guy there said they will be having philips hts3565 tomorrow for demo.

so i intend to go there tomorrow and hear out the 3565 and then decide between it and the onkyo 3100.
sridhar c

Last edited:
4750 with powered sub is very good music system that I can vouch and def better than starting models of Onkyo and yam. This is my exp.

You can drop in to my home at Velachery if you want to check out 4750. ezones 20 k is super duper VFM pricing :)

Also, check the HTiB thread, you will more reviews and detailed fbk.

hi,

philips arena is near the spencer signal on anna salai, beside the avin outlet.if u are going by a vehicle take the service lane from the wellington signal and pass the arena and take a left turn into the club house road.park ur vehicle there and come back to the arena.
they are quoting 22k for hts 4750 and 15k for hts 3565. ezone on OMR gives a better pricing for the same products. 20k and 14390 respectively.

guys,

myself and my son went to ezone for auditioning the onkyo 3100 and philips hts3565. unfortunately they had only philips 3265 for demo. so we listened to it and the onkyo. my son says the onkyo is better and i agreed with him. ofcourse the philips system is 75 watts per channel and onkyos 125 per channel.many guys here say that onkyo is not good for music. but my son says the music is better on the onkyos. he should know becos he hears all kind of crazy music.:) they guy there said they will be having philips hts3565 tomorrow for demo.

so i intend to go there tomorrow and hear out the 3565 and then decide between it and the onkyo 3100.
sridhar c

I can tell you music performance depends on your likings.
ie. If your son is younger than 25yrs, he must have liked the bass from Onkyo which is deep & heavier than the philips model you listen.

If you like vocals than bits,philips 3565 is very good(less bass)

But in general to me Onkyo wins due to connectivity ,upgrading options.
So decide with your needs.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back