Which is better Yamaha YHT-299 or any other HT combination ?

sudarsan.dabburi

Hi Friends,

I am planning to setup a new Home Theatre(No BR/DVD) and connect my 2 yr old Samsung 40F5500 LED TV and videocon D2H STB. Could you please help me pick the right combinational HT for the best possible 5.1 surround sound ?

1. My HT budget is around Rs 25-30k. Im looking at Yamaha YHT-299. Would like to know if there is any other better combination of AV Receiver and 5.1 speakers from same/different companies ? Pls let me know.
Between seems this Yamaha AV receiver does not have Dolby Prologic 2, though it has Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio.
Is that a problem ? I heard that Prologic 2 has the capability to deduce 5 channel from DTH.. Kindly let me know your views please.

2. TV has the below HDMI IN ports
HDMI IN 1(STB)
HDMI IN 2
HDMI IN 3(DVI)

It has the optical output port. So, it does not have HDMI(ARC) and from different posts I heard that optical output just gives PCM(some say 5.1 can be retrieved from PCM but some say we can't). One observation is that when TV is connected to external HDD the optical output supports PCM and DTS. But it supports only PCM when connected via HDMI from STB. On the other hand, STB has the SPIDF port as well.

Considering the above existing configurations, could you please suggest the best possible Audio and Video connections from STB, TV to the upcoming AV Receiver so I can get the best possible 5.1 surround sound ?

The only use of optical out from TV to HT would just be for the external Hard disk(HDD) which is directly connected to TV. As only in this case, optical supports DTS. Please correct me here, if Im wrong.

Thanks in advance,

//Sudarsan

Same tv,same stb and hence the advice.. optical out gives 5.1 but not for d2h to tv to optical out setup.. Best way for d2h delivered 5.1, d2h to hdmi in of tv, stb spdif to avr, avr hdmi out to tv with hdmi cec enabled on tv as well as avr.. Select the spdif in on avr as audio source and set tv volume to 0 while watching in dd5.1/using avr.. Otherwise if you connect stb hdmi to avr you need avr as on whenever you want to watch tv
By the way it does support prologic2 and if you just want surround sound then might as well go for cheaper htibs from sony that support 5.1 in
Another correction tv optical out also supports dd upto 5.1 depending on the source, it also can upconvert pcm to dts neo i believe.. Only issue is that with d2h stb hdmi in it isnt decoding dd5.1 nor bitstreaming it to avr.. So better use coaxial to avr

Hi

If it is the question of using with TV and STB you can look @ Sony HT IV300 which is true VFM....works with bluetooth too...the key is to audition and decide..

+1 to above, 25-30k wont get you good results from htib perspective, if it's just 5.1 you want go for Sony else raise your budget to 33k minimum for 299

Many thanks for the advice.
I have purchased Yamaha YHT-299 today. Awaiting the delivery tomorrow :)
The above suggestions would definitely help me in the needed configurations.

Back