Which is more "Immersive", 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 ?

No wife approval for anything bulky even in back surrounds. I am thinking of using angled surrounds for sides and back. Laying off my C1 as well. what do you say?

Ok.. Then Polk OWM 3/5 would make a great fit for it is compact dimensions..

From what I heard, most movies are mixed in 5.1 format and up mixed to 7.1. Movies mixed in Atmos could be different but most of non atmos movies are 5.1.

Ok.. Will try to see the info..

Can I put Back-Surrounds in this orientation ? If yes..it will help a lot (for some reason :)). My receiver offcourse is not THX ASA certified)
speaker-placement-7.1.jpg

Last edited:
I am zeroing in OWM-3 (for Back Surround) and Polk Audio RC-60i for Ceiling (Atmos). Any better suggestions are Welcome.

OP, excuse me for this post..

1. Most of the movie are encoded in 5.1 mode, very few movie in 7.1

From what I heard, most movies are mixed in 5.1 format and up mixed to 7.1. Movies mixed in Atmos could be different but most of non atmos movies are 5.1.

Yes.. You both are right..

I did check most of the remux files (copies of BR Disc) that are aval, and most had DTS -HDMA 5.1 & very few in 7.1.. Same with Dolby True HD, most aval are 5.1 and few in 7.1..

Atmos has True HD (7.1) + height..

DTS X has DTS-HDMA (7.1) + height..

I stand corrected..

I did check most of the remux files (copies of BR Disc) that are aval, and most had DTS -HDMA 5.1 & very few in 7.1.. Same with Dolby True HD, most aval are 5.1 and few in 7.1..

I stand corrected..
So, In my opinion, 5.1.4 will be a better choice. This 0.4 will handle several objects in atmos and restricting it to just 2 speakers means, loosing a lot of positional audio.
If possible, go with 7.1.4 :)

Can I put Back-Surrounds in this orientation ?
Sure, but it will defeat the purpose of using two Rear speakers. Can you put your 3 front speakers right next to each other? Sure. Will the lack of separation sound good?

Sure, but it will defeat the purpose of using two Rear speakers. Can you put your 3 front speakers right next to each other? Sure. Will the lack of separation sound good?
Without proper distance between each speaker those three speakers will sound like a single speaker..
Be careful.

I stand corrected..
I went through this discussion on most of the international AV forums recently, while I was setting my Atmos channels. 7.2.4 works very well provided there's considerable distance (>6ft) between your sitting position and back wall. So I settled with 5.2.4. You can use dipoles for side surround for better effects.

So, In my opinion, 5.1.4 will be a better choice. This 0.4 will handle several objects in atmos and restricting it to just 2 speakers means, loosing a lot of positional audio.
If possible, go with 7.1.4 :)
My AVR supports upto 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 with out external amp, which I am not deploying, right now.

I went through this discussion on most of the international AV forums recently, while I was setting my Atmos channels. 7.2.4 works very well provided there's considerable distance (>6ft) between your sitting position and back wall. So I settled with 5.2.4. You can use dipoles for side surround for better effects.
So one option is front ceiling, 2.5 feet ahead Up from MLP and Dipoles for side surrounds and OWM-3 for Surr-Back. Looks good?

2 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. 4 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. So there is a real benefit to using 4 heights instead of 2.

However, is it worth sacrificing 2 rear speakers? Keep in mind that most of the content in an Atmos soundtrack (theatrical or home) is in the 7.1-channel base layer (ALL Atmos soundtracks have a 7.1 base layer). By comparison, there is relatively little sound in the height layer.

So, do you compromise spatial resolution where most of the sound is for the sake of having greater spatial resolution (more speakers) where there is very little sound? What is your priority?
When base layer is 7.1, so 7.1.2 may make more sense than a 5.1.4. Right?

When base layer is 7.1, so 7.1.2 may make more sense than a 5.1.4. Right?
If I already had a good 7.1 set-up, I would simply add 2 height speakers rather sacrifice the Rears to do 5.1.4. But that's MY priority. You have to decide what's more important to YOU.

For rear surrounds I am vacillating between Polk-OWM3 and Polk-TL15. Please suggest asap.
P.S. I have polk RtiA1 and CSi-4 as mains. Also finalized Polk RC60i for ceiling.

With your room size you can go for 7.2.4. Many have done 7.2.4 in smaller 10x15 room setups.
Also there is practically nil space between seating and rear surrounds/ceiling speakers.
Calibration after installing speakers is a must to achieve good balance.

My experience after few days....ceiling speakers set as front ceilings, are making a lot of difference with dolby surround or neural X. I have added 2 back surrounds, as well, I almost, do not feel their presence. May be they are contributing and are not noticable, so much in the mix.

5.1.4 is more immersive experience than 7.1.2 because...
1. Most of the movie are encoded in 5.1 mode, very few movie in 7.1
2. Very limited information presented in surround back channels with weak output relative to front and surround.
3. You can use bipole or dipole surround speakers to fill the gap behind MLP.
4. Four over head ceiling speakers give more panning of overhead surround effects.
5. Four overhead speakers have independent information for four channels gives more discrete and exact location of objects
6.Front to rear overhead effect have larger panning across the surround sound field in case of hight speakers.
7.Front height speakers are close to screen so can give more realistic feel.

7.1.2 will be more immersive, coz ....

1. Less titles are in True Atmos ATM, almost every movie is in 7.1 these days.
2. Surround back channel has the more or less same information as overhead channels in terms of effects
3. bipole speakers not for filling gap, and should be avoided at all costs, unless huge space constraints for the Surround and S.Back speakers
4. yes, but when it comes to "immersion" 2 Atmos speakers paired with 4 surrounds gives a better experience
5. same as 4
6. same as 5
7 same as 6.

And this is by my personal experience, as a Home Theater enthusiast and installed couple personally by me I can vouch..... 7.1.2 gives more immersive experience than 5.1.4

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back