Which is more "Immersive", 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 ?

Recently installed 4 over head speakers Klipsch R51m's. Kindly excuse me for the shabby room.

Attachments

• IMG-20190109-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20190109-WA0014.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi Guys, Sorry for being OT. A quick question though . I have a 11.2 Channel Yamaha Z11 AV Amplifier . Will it make sense to go for the latest receivers just for the sake of Atmos and DTS X . Thanks in advance.
Cheers

How does one install the Polk OWM5 o the concrete ceiling?? I see another great option from Polk- Atrium 8 , any idea how much that costs?

@rajuisback : How much did the Klipsch cost and what is the ceiling mount that you are using?

From what I heard, most movies are mixed in 5.1 format and up mixed to 7.1. Movies mixed in Atmos could be different but most of non atmos movies are 5.1.

No Bluray is "Mixed" to any sound format. Once you rip and encode then you can do all this stuff, but that also no one dose. If a move has 5.1 soundtrack on Bluray, rippers do not upmix to 7.1, that's practically ruining the sound stage. Today most of the movies are 7.1 DTS-MA or DD-THD. And many movies are coming with Atmos, which is growing day by day. Also all movies which are released in Atmos will almost always have DTSMA or THD 7.1 track

A list of all movies can be found here ..

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/sear...titles=&synopsis=&submit=Search&action=search

Last edited:
How does one install the Polk OWM5 o the concrete ceiling?? I see another great option from Polk- Atrium 8 , any idea how much that costs?

@rajuisback : How much did the Klipsch cost and what is the ceiling mount that you are using?
No idea about Polks but mine costed 27,000/- each pair.

Coming to the ceiling, I got it made locally at a Neighbouring Welding shop. It has a 3 Level adjustment for adjusting the height.

Hi Guys, Sorry for being OT. A quick question though . I have a 11.2 Channel Yamaha Z11 AV Amplifier . Will it make sense to go for the latest receivers just for the sake of Atmos and DTS X . Thanks in advance.
Cheers
If you have proper content then Yes, it sounds amazing.

7.1.2 will be more immersive, coz ....

1. Less titles are in True Atmos ATM, almost every movie is in 7.1 these days.
2. Surround back channel has the more or less same information as overhead channels in terms of effects
3. bipole speakers not for filling gap, and should be avoided at all costs, unless huge space constraints for the Surround and S.Back speakers
4. yes, but when it comes to "immersion" 2 Atmos speakers paired with 4 surrounds gives a better experience
5. same as 4
6. same as 5
7 same as 6.

And this is by my personal experience, as a Home Theater enthusiast and installed couple personally by me I can vouch..... 7.1.2 gives more immersive experience than 5.1.4
Thats why 7.1.2 it is... :) I am watching most of the movies again now.

Okay... I am a little confused with the Dolby speaker placement guidelines. I am attaching a few pics of my Living room , i intend to go full 7.1.4 Atmos. The guidelines just give a side profile of the overhead speakers and tell that the top speakers should be 45 degree ahead and top back should be 45degree behind the listener.

I have a false ceiling that juts about 2 feet into the room .. you can see in the attached pics.

My question is :

Would it be possible to install some in-ceiling speakers into this false ceiling or would i need to attach them on the bare concrete ceiling?

There is no requirement for them to be "looking into" / tilted to the listener , right? they could be just downfiring direct speakers?

Attachments

• Room Pic 2.zip
    767.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190111_122425.jpg
    IMG_20190111_122425.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190110_181335.jpg
    IMG_20190110_181335.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190111_122412.jpg
    IMG_20190111_122412.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190110_181311.jpg
    IMG_20190110_181311.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190110_181406.jpg
    IMG_20190110_181406.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 34
top speakers should be 45 degree ahead and top back should be 45degree behind the listener
Easy way to figure out the locations: measure from your ears to the ceiling, that same distance ahead & behind the listener is 45 degrees elevation.
Would it be possible to install some in-ceiling speakers into this false ceiling or would i need to attach them on the bare concrete ceiling?
Since you are seated close to the back wall, it looks like you'll have to install the rear height speakers in the false ceiling. The front heights location will likely be on the concrete ceiling (assuming you want to place them at the Dolby recommended locations).
There is no requirement for them to be "looking into" / tilted to the listener , right? they could be just downfiring direct speakers?
Speakers almost always sound best on-axis. Why would you aim speakers at some random spots on the floor instead of pointing them towards the listeners?

Ear to ceiling height is 6'. That doesn't leave any space for the top rear. So might as well only do top middle layer. 5.1.2 or 7.1.2.

I have found just 2-3 speaker choice for concrete ceiling. Pretty pathetic..

My budget is upto 25-30K , and I would like a speaker that can go down well ,maybe 50-60Hz..

Any suggestions?

Ear to ceiling height is 6'. That doesn't leave any space for the top rear. So might as well only do top middle layer. 5.1.2 or 7.1.2.

I have found just 2-3 speaker choice for concrete ceiling. Pretty pathetic..

My budget is upto 25-30K , and I would like a speaker that can go down well ,maybe 50-60Hz..

Any suggestions?
I wanted something small, good looking, highly resolving speakers, which can be easily wall mounted and I went with this..
Monitor Audio MASS 5.0
They do not go below 80 hz, and I didn't expect them to. I'll be anyways using LFE+ to route all LF response to subwoofer, which is specifically designed for that purpose. I'm pretty happy with the performance of these. You can get them at 70k for 5 speakers. If you can get from UK each will cost around 10k from Amazon UK.

Getting a big sound, and better Low end punch from small speakers is a biggest challenge for speaker designers, and it's never adequate. A DIY with full range speakers from Fostex can be attempted to fulfill your needs.

Ear to ceiling height is 6'. That doesn't leave any space for the top rear. So might as well only do top middle layer. 5.1.2 or 7.1.2. Any suggestions?
Get as close as possible with the Top Rear (mount them as far back as you can). Even with the Top Rears not at 45 degrees elevation behind you, the benefits are still worth it. 2 speakers overhead let you hear left vs right movement. 4 speakers overhead let you hear left vs right AND front vs back movement.

Literally taking, neither. Need a 100% immersive experience, get a good pair of headphones. :)

MaSh

Should this be fine for front height.
45559599114_8aae6c387b_b.jpg

Hi, you may have to consider bringing your surround speakers by a feet down for more immersive experience.

Get as close as possible with the Top Rear (mount them as far back as you can). Even with the Top Rears not at 45 degrees elevation behind you, the benefits are still worth it. 2 speakers overhead let you hear left vs right movement. 4 speakers overhead let you hear left vs right AND front vs back movement.

Thank you @sdurani : Could I mount the Rear Atmos on the back wall, just where the false ceiling meets the wall below. That seems like an easier installation than on the false ceiling.

Went to Sound by Design, Gurgaon yesterday and got a few options for Atmos speakers (basically satellites/micros) , but they sounded awesome!!

I am thinking of something like Cambridge Audio Min/22, Bose Satellites, Dali Fazon(too expensive), PSB Alpha LR1

I wanted something small, good looking, highly resolving speakers, which can be easily wall mounted and I went with this..
Monitor Audio MASS 5.0
They do not go below 80 hz, and I didn't expect them to. I'll be anyways using LFE+ to route all LF response to subwoofer, which is specifically designed for that purpose. I'm pretty happy with the performance of these. You can get them at 70k for 5 speakers. If you can get from UK each will cost around 10k from Amazon UK.

Getting a big sound, and better Low end punch from small speakers is a biggest challenge for speaker designers, and it's never adequate. A DIY with full range speakers from Fostex can be attempted to fulfill your needs.

@drkrack : thank you , I will try to explore them as well.

Thank you @sdurani : Could I mount the Rear Atmos on the back wall, just where the false ceiling meets the wall below. That seems like an easier installation than on the false ceiling.

Went to Sound by Design, Gurgaon yesterday and got a few options for Atmos speakers (basically satellites/micros) , but they sounded awesome!!

I am thinking of something like Cambridge Audio Min/22, Bose Satellites, Dali Fazon(too expensive), PSB Alpha LR1

Yes you can mount them close to where the false ceiling meets the wall but you would have to bring your surrounds down.
If possible move your seating a bit forward and take the height speakers to the ceiling.
You can have rear ceiling speakers close to the wall.

After reading the whole thread,i have come to conclusion that 7.1.2 (with single or 2 subs) or 7.1.4 (with single or 2 subs)
is the winner to experience true surround/atmos effects,but you also need atleast 3 to 6 feet from sitting position to the
rear wall in order to install rear Surrounds.

The sweet spot position also depends on how big is the screen size is,after deciding this then comes the option of
6th and 7th rear channel whether it can be implemented or not,atmos spks (2 or 4) is of no issue in any room as it goes
in the ceiling.

i have a room size of 11x22 which can be extended by 5ft,so 7.1 is an easy option for me.

My few thoughts.

rajesh

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back