which laptop is best for htpc..

Thanks and I'm flattered. But I do really want the best for all my brothers and sisters on HiFiVision hence I keep pushing/suggesting the PC.

True that, rallynut. Moser has been at the helm of opening our eyes to the power of the pc as a music player solution at par with dedicated cdps.

I am also in a fix, trying to decide whether to assemble a pc with an asus soundcard or to go for a tangent cdp50/cdp 100( friend coming from uk can get it for 40/80 pounds) and a separate dvdp like lg dv388! the thing is that most of my music and movies are on pc, rather than cds, but the fact that I have to boot up the pc and the higher power consumption are making me think about the cdp plus dvdp combo.

Sorry for all the OT!:p

Threadstarter, go for a laptop with a decent core 2 duo processor, 2gb ram, hdmi, preferably a remote too! You can add a portable hdd to increase storage space as most laptops have hdd space in the range of only 320gb.
You can also think about using an external usb sound card like the one from asus/creative.
:)

hey guys.. so im goin to purchase dell studio 15 ati 4570(512) and apart from my work i want to use it to watch hd movies via my pv8

i have to buy laptop only,, so pls tell me wthr i shd go for it..or any other options? video cards?

pls suggest me

bro we already tried telling you that for a HTPC ( in true terms) a laptop is still not suited as the HW specs have not reached that stage. Believe me I have used multiple laptops from Dell, Toshiba, HCL etc. So if you just want to play movies off a laptop your HW will do fine. Soudn will be 2 channel too of a RCA jack from line out of your dell. I had used a similar setup before my htpc came into being and before I got my AVR and speaker setup done. You will suffice.

However a HTPC is one

Act as a storage house of all movies - currently I have over 200 movies (dvd rips) - more if I had not lost a 500GB hdd due to data loss.
That plays Blueray or Blueray rips (with HD audio or at least D5.1)
DVD rips and playback (with D 5.1)
FLAC, Audio CD (for better stereo output a dedicated sound card is required)
Output didital audio through hdmi or spdif so that an external AVR can take advantage of it .........the list goes on.

What i understand you want a laptop (chosen dell studio) for playback of movies on your PV8 - yes it will work with VGA cable with resoltuions upto 1024x768 and HDMI upto HD resolutions though text will be unreadable. Audio will be 2 channel.

And forgive me if I come across as rude - do not use the term HTPC loosely. It seems you just want a solution for playback of movies on you PV8. As a well wisher my 2 cents:
................get a toshiba netbook for 18k (will give you uptime of 6-8 hours easily, work on office, surf the net and do all the necessary work). Get a WDTV which will play great on pv8. Save the money - take your wife/gf/parents out for dinner or gift them something. You and your family will have more:rolleyes: fun.

Ever ready to help. Just shoot the budget and the requirements and I'm sure me and lots of others too on this forum will be very helpful.

moserw,ur welcome.will be eventually goin in for one so need all the help i can get then!!esp fom u:eek:hyeah:.cheers,bro

You can go for the Dell though it seems somewhat of an overkill and expensive based on your requirements. I suggested WDTV in my very first post and will reiterate that too along with a cheaper laptop as suggested by suprateep.

But if your heart is set on the Dell then by all means go for it. It will work perfectly for all that you require of it.

hey guys.. so im goin to purchase dell studio 15 ati 4570(512) and apart from my work i want to use it to watch hd movies via my pv8

i have to buy laptop only,, so pls tell me wthr i shd go for it..or any other options? video cards?

pls suggest me

Yesterday I asked for HTPC case & dealer didnt know what I was saying:sad:

He called his supplier & he told its spk system with remote.:lol:
I asked to google images,then he said still not available.

So where can HTPC case be available in Mumbai?
Any cheap brand?

Why do you need a HTPC case? Invest the money on an Asus soundcard instead. With a HTPC case you will not hear or notice any difference unless its cosmetic/attraction factor. With the Asus at least you will hear very good music and movies.

If you still want it then only place is to get it online as far I know. Most PC traders/vendors have not heard of HTPC case or even the term HTPC. Check 20North for it.

Yesterday I asked for HTPC case & dealer didnt know what I was saying:sad:

He called his supplier & he told its spk system with remote.:lol:
I asked to google images,then he said still not available.

So where can HTPC case be available in Mumbai?
Any cheap brand?

Thanks,

I m emailing Asus to get best SC for Buleray mov for ana7.1 output,but they say its not possible.When checked speci, ciruss & BB Dac can handle 192/24bit ,but Asus say no.It may be that AsusAV100(200) processor is not capable.lets see?

Spiro,

I'm just curious. Are you looking for an all in one solution? Even in AVRs that's not possible. AVRs are good for movies, stereo amps are good for music. In a PC its a lot better since music on 5.1/7.1 cards does sound good and they are great for movies too.

The first thing is I am ordering Blu-Ray discs on Amazon and not one of them is with even DTS, only Dolby Digital. HD Audio I think you can forget for a while (maybe even longer). So concentrating too much on a soundcard to play content that is not even there is maybe asking for too much. Once HD Audio comes to Blu-Ray media then the technology to play it too will come. In that case something cheaper like a Blu-Ray player or an updated version of WDTV will come along and you can go for it at that time. Even then you will need to upgrade your AVR to decode 7.1 in digital or even play 7.1 in analog unless you are already having an AVR that does it. Or are you planning to use your PC to watch HD content and use a compatible soundcard to output 7.1? In this case you will need to wait for HDPC (High Definition PC) and I'm not too sure how long it will take for HDPCs to come out.

Thanks,

I m emailing Asus to get best SC for Buleray mov for ana7.1 output,but they say its not possible.When checked speci, ciruss & BB Dac can handle 192/24bit ,but Asus say no.It may be that AsusAV100(200) processor is not capable.lets see?

Thanks,

for analog 7.1 output the best card is the HDAV Deluxe (comes with daughter card for analog outs - thats the only diff with the normal HDAV)- which is great for stereo music too.

BTW if you don not mind spending 7.5k you can try the silverstone LC13/LC10 (check primeabgb.com and speak to Meenal) - its a good case. Intially I planned to get that but then decided for the LC16 MR220 - tehn dropped it totally because of the ImON SW with remote was buggy at max.

Best is to get the LC10 cabinet and order a 3.5 " remote bay from ebay US. Comes for as less as 30USD with remote and can be attached with any case with 5.25 bay.

Any way if you do want a HTPC go for

AMD 7750/5600 with M3N78EM (~8k)
2 GB RAM or 4GB for something with vista (1.3k for 2 GB)
Liteon writer if possible (i did not find any) (1.1k)
Wireless kyd/Mouse - logitech (1.4k)
HDD (as much as you can)
OS - XP 32/64 bit is best atleast from a driver perspective
Cabinet - don not spend too much intially - get your HW right first

belive me you will spend a month before you get your HTPC functioning right. 2 fresh installs later finally my setup is complete minus the remote and HTPC case with 8 channel LPCM via HDMI to Onkyo 606 to Panny pv8. I feel elated....:clapping:

Thanks Suprateep & moserw,

I have already Intel C2D E4500(looks weak), 945 MSI MB, 2GB ram, 7300GC(capable of 1080i)onbrd aud

I was looking for Xonar,but they have terrible driver issue.Only for music,its OK,when come to HD mov they can Bitstreame & my AVR is old(330)

So was looking for SC with HD capabilities.Once I buy SC,I will not change it for atleast 5 to 7yrs(& why to)So I found nocard can support 192/24bit(only stereo mode)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892863&page=2

btw guys anyone who wants to built a HTPC minus the AVR can look at the 5.1 live MSI diva amplfier card option or someone with AVr can look at the MSI diva wiht 7.1 preamplifier card. Great base to build a HTPC with AMD processors.

Also based on micro ATX form factor - get more for less.

Thanks Suprateep & moserw,

I have already Intel C2D E4500(looks weak), 945 MSI MB, 2GB ram, 7300GC(capable of 1080i)onbrd aud

I was looking for Xonar,but they have terrible driver issue.Only for music,its OK,when come to HD mov they can Bitstreame & my AVR is old(330)

So was looking for SC with HD capabilities.Once I buy SC,I will not change it for atleast 5 to 7yrs(& why to)So I found nocard can support 192/24bit(only stereo mode)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892863&page=2

hey bro did not get you properly on this issue.....

Most good cards are capable of 24/96 - anything over that is an overkill and 192/24 is supported by the Xonars. For 192/24 - you will get 2 channel only IMHO. The case is same with my onboard NVIDIA Audio device which i use to pass digital audio ASIS to my receiver. SO the question of upsampling or downsampling does not arise. Only when you use the windows SW or others or the SC HW to upsample - there might be issues.

BTW can you receiver accept bitstream HD audio - most newer ones do, cant comment on older receivers. I have heard LPCM via ps3 and HTPCs and found no difference whatsoever between LPCM from HTPC (which any HTPC mobo does these days, LPCM from ps3 or True HD from receiver - though levels did vary a lil bit - thats that).

For nromal movies - a onboard HDMI digital audio out from integrated mobos is fine. When you want sood stereo sound - you can use the optical out from the mobos (say i can use the hdmi out as default device and use winamp or foobar to use the realtek aduio out simultaneously and output stereo soudn via optical from winamp to a external DAC to RCA to stereo amp - voila i am getting 192/24 stereo on a stereo amp)

I m concered abt HDaud(DD /Dts HD master etc)which comes with 192/24bit format.Soundcard can support 96/24bit only for multich.
So SW(powrDVD) downscale/samples 192 to 96/24 then SC can output 7.1.

Pls.read the link given in previous post.

I m concered abt HDaud(DD /Dts HD master etc)which comes with 192/24bit format.Soundcard can support 96/24bit only for multich.
So SW(powrDVD) downscale/samples 192 to 96/24 then SC can output 7.1.

Pls.read the link given in previous post.

a lot has been said and written regarding this - but believe me a ironman blueray audio output via LPCM from a ps3 was as good as anything. And though my receiver is capable of handling trueHD and other formats - i (after spendign 2 months in various forumsx) decided that there was no point spending 13k on a card that passes everything down to the receiver to decode.

I have a moderate system - no felt otherwise. If you have the top end B&Ws with the best receiver in town and cables to boot and want a HTPC - the HDAV or the yet to be released (nearly a year) Azuntech HD cinema is the other option.

The configuration is good. Will run HD rips. Soundcard specs are not given and it says "Integrated Stereo Sound with Subwoofer" meaning 2-channel? Either way make sure the soundcard has a digital out otherwise getting the audio in 5.1 will be tough especially if you are looking to connect to an AVR. Go with 512 MB graphics card if you can afford it as its a safer and better option for the future. Also, 320GB HDD is pretty limiting these days. Go for 500GB or even higher if available/affordable. Also, its listed at CD-ROM and DVD-ROM which is confusing as it means only reading? Is it with a DVD Writer? Make sure its a DVD Writer since you will need it to burn/backup data. Other specs are good.

Still if you can consider it do consider a PC instead of the laptop. PC will be much more powerful, cheaper, and much, much more upgradeable. Nothing wrong with this laptop, just that laptops age very rapidly like in 3-4 years and beyond that cannot keep pace with technology.

it has 5.1... hdmi1.3

Anyone seen this beast?

YouTube - HP Summit: The Dragon AKA Pavilion HDX notebook from HP

- Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X9000 (2.80GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 20.1inch diagonal WUXGA High-Definition HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen
(19201200), 1080p res
- Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
- 4GB DDR2 System Memory
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
- HP Imprint Finish (Dragon) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth
- 500GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (250GB x 2)
- Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
- Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner and 4 Altec Lansing speakers + the
HP Triple Bass Reflex subwoofer
- 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Wonder if it will ever leave the desk!

Another Video of HP Pavilion HDX Dragon Entertainment Notebook PC.

g80320021220071.jpg

Unleash_me - the HDX Dragon is an old model from HP and I dont think it is in vogue right now. However the HDX series surely is. It is the top of the tops in the Entertainment section. And yes, I have seen and worked with the HDX18 very recently.

Only by the greatest stretch of imagination can it be called a laptop:). The one I worked on was powered by a Core2Quad and an NVidia 9600MGT with 4 GB RAM and a 500 GB hard disk. Decent by any standards.

I was also reading a few earlier postings regarding laptops being used as HTPC's. They certainly can be. Imagine a laptop with a digital out being fed to the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic or a Moonlab Mark II or even a Valab NOS DAC. With a good amplifier and speaker chain a lot can be achieved - even with the USB out of a laptop. Of course the same can be said about a desktop too.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back