Which lcd tv should i buy...

jaikothari

hi frnds...i am new to this community....i am from mumbai....have been moving around and checking a lot of lcds....i am confused between Panasonic and Sony...i guess i was very happy with Panasonc 32 LX 80...the picture quality is far far better than dat of Sony...also sound quality is better then dat of sony....but still i want some honest views which 1 i should go for....damn confused...hope to hear from some of u guys soon....thanx in advance

Last edited:
well the sony is better in many ways it has far greater contrast,better shadow details,the S and V series are much better then the panasonic,if u look at reviews internationaly even the newer 09 lcds from panasonic don't match the overall performance of sony and samsungs who have improved their image processing considerably and not to mention the improved contrast .
the only thing panasonic has the edge is the viewing angle and the price.

hi frnds...i am new to this community....i am from mumbai....have been moving around and checking a lot of lcds....i am confused between Panasonic and Sony...i guess i was very happy with Panasonc 32 LX 80...the picture quality is far far better than dat of Sony...also sound quality is better then dat of sony....but still i want some honest views which 1 i should go for....damn confused...hope to hear from some of u guys soon....thanx in advance

Been using it for nearly 6 months now. PQ is great for Tata Sky and DVD rips i.e. SD content. Compared to Sony it's great VFM considering Sony costs so much more.

well the sony is better in many ways it has far greater contrast,better shadow details,the S and V series are much better then the panasonic,if u look at reviews internationaly even the newer 09 lcds from panasonic don't match the overall performance of sony and samsungs who have improved their image processing considerably and not to mention the improved contrast .
the only thing panasonic has the edge is the viewing angle and the price.

I am not for "S" series. If you go for Sony it should be minimum "V" series or above. And they are really good.

I am not for "S" series. If you go for Sony it should be minimum "V" series or above. And they are really good.

well whe u bought ur V300A their was a siginificant difference b/w the S310A and V300A .but the models from S400 and V500A have only cosmetic differences,performance is similar.
but the new V550A model is different is has a 1080p panel and sony have increased the price.so compared to the panasonic the sony S series is the one that is a fair to compare in terms of price and features.

well whe u bought ur V300A their was a siginificant difference b/w the S310A and V300A .but the models from S400 and V500A have only cosmetic differences,performance is similar.
but the new V550A model is different is has a 1080p panel and sony have increased the price.so compared to the panasonic the sony S series is the one that is a fair to compare in terms of price and features.

good analysis:clapping:

heyyyy...thanx a ton for responding

hi frnds....thanx a lot for responding back to all my queires...thanx a lot.......the decision is really confusing....one of the reasons i am going in for the panasonic is the deal i am getting....its costing me 28500...and the sony S series to be honest dint excite me tat much...but the V and the X series truly are amazing....but the costing goes straight 15000 more....i have to fit in a home theathre system additional 25000....so is panasonic a good deal....also the picture quality is not bad at all....

Last edited:
Since you have kept a limited budget, it maybe a good option. Price difference is huge. And since you are convinced about the picture quality, you should be fine.

Re: heyyyy...thanx a ton for responding

hi frnds....thanx a lot for responding back to all my queires...thanx a lot.......the decision is really confusing....one of the reasons i am going in for the panasonic is the deal i am getting....its costing me 28500...and the sony S series to be honest dint excite me tat much...but the V and the X series truly are amazing....but the costing goes straight 15000 more....i have to fit in a home theathre system additional 25000....so is panasonic a good deal....also the picture quality is not bad at all....

If you can consider spending 15K more, you should probably be having a demo of 42" plasma as well. Probably you would like the PQ and delay the HT a bit to accomodate.
The screen height of a 32" Wide screen TV is in fact less than a regular 29" TV. So, the images may seem more stretched wide than feeling bigger for SD content when compared to a regular 29". Just adding another point to consider, especially since you are planning for a HT setup :)

The screen height of a 32" Wide screen TV is in fact less than a regular 29" TV. So, the images may seem more stretched wide than feeling bigger for SD content when compared to a regular 29". Just adding another point to consider, especially since you are planning for a HT setup :)

Did you mean 4:3 when you mentioned SD?

Irrespective of what size wide-screen LCD/Plasma we have, a 4:3 picture is always displayed stretched side-ways if we switch to stretch/full screen mode. Size of the LCD/Plasma will not matter in this regard.

A 4:3 image on 32" wide-screen TV (in normal display mode) is equal to 26" CRT TV in size.

If you are budget conscious and the watching distance is ~10ft (wall to wall), a 32" LCD is optimal. Take a call...

Last edited:

Did you mean 4:3 when you mentioned SD?

Irrespective of what size wide-screen LCD/Plasma we have, a 4:3 picture is always displayed stretched side-ways if we switch to stretch/full screen mode. Size of the LCD/Plasma will not matter in this regard.

A 4:3 image on 32" wide-screen TV (in nromal display mode) is equal to 26" CRT TV in size.

If you are budget conscious and the watching distance is ~10ft (wall to wall), a 32" LCD/Plasma is optimal. Take a call...

Buddy, I was just comparing the height of 29" regular and 32" wide screen and meant - "It would only seem stretched rather than bigger". Its understood that watching 4:3 would be stretched laterally in full screen mode on any wide screen TV.

I was tempted to suggest considering 42" plasma since there seems to be a contemplation on similar priced 32" LCD models.

Would not suggest 32" plasma since there is NO good model available, atleast in India, at this size. At this size LCD is the only option. I'm sure there would be no opposition to this statement in this forum. :)

Finally, no offense meant, but 10ft would be a good distance to have a 42" screen for immersive effect - Just my opinion - could vary based on perception differences between people. Best way is to audition and see for oneself.

Cheers!

hi frnds....once again thank you so much....had gone to the sony showroom yday...again 1 thng i discovered is if i have to measure 32" thn i have to measure it like diagonally which comes to less thn my current 25" Sony Wega tv...which makes no sense at all to go for 32"...so i guess il have to start my field work again....and probably il zero in on either Sony or Samsung...wat say guys...???

il settle in for 40"...coz dats the least....32" is small and 37" nt available
....so 40" looks the best bet....yah dats for sure....il not go wrong with sony...nd thanx to all of u guys....for helping....now il go nd check more SONY....

il settle in for 40"...coz dats the least....32" is small and 37" nt available
....so 40" looks the best bet....yah dats for sure....il not go wrong with sony...nd thanx to all of u guys....for helping....now il go nd check more SONY....

I have also shortlisted the 40" V Series (KLV-40V550A/B with BE3) in my mind for LCD. If I go in for a Plasma, it will be the Panasonic PV8/80.

Please let us know your experience in detail from buying to viewing it. Would be very useful to many of us.

I have also shortlisted the 40" V Series (KLV-40V550A/B with BE3) in my mind for LCD.

Is it already available in India? I was also recommended the 550 series and would be keen to know the performance for SD (Tata Sky) viewing as compared to PV8/80 as far as PQ is concerned (I suspect from the VFM perspective PV8/80 may still be the winner)

Has anyone compare it with the new samsung "LED" TV. I know it is not really an LED TV, but the picture looks stunning and would look pretty neat on the wall, almost like a picture frame. Again the same question for SD viewing.

Is it already available in India? I was also recommended the 550 series and would be keen to know the performance for SD (Tata Sky) viewing as compared to PV8/80 as far as PQ is concerned (I suspect from the VFM perspective PV8/80 may still be the winner)

Has anyone compare it with the new samsung "LED" TV. I know it is not really an LED TV, but the picture looks stunning and would look pretty neat on the wall, almost like a picture frame. Again the same question for SD viewing.

well yes the new sony V series is available in india.well it has improved the SD performance but a plasma like Pv8/80 having a lower resolution as the edge.but the sony can give blacker blacks and has a higher contrast compared to pv8/80,plus the sony has a NON-glossy screen so its not prone to much of reflection and u will notice those deep blacks much better then tvs with glossy screen.offcourse in a dark room it doesn't matter if its a glossy or non glossy.

regarding the LED lcd the only advantage is the thickness and power consumption there is NO improvement in image quality,however the upcoming samsung series 9 LED tv has the local dimming LED which does improve the contrast.

hiii.....frnds....hopw all of u doing fine....yah i will definitly be goin in for Sony V series 550....and mostly il b goin ahead and buying it in next 10 days or so...nd as soon as i get il b sharing with u guys the expirence in viewing....m sooooo excited in getting the SONY....have decided to get the home theatre after 6 months or so....may b the dollor prices come down....i may get it for cheap....wat say guys....i hope it the right decision.....so il spend a good amount on the SONY for the moment....

Back