Which Mini Component system

vjkumarr

Folks,

I have Onkyo CR-305x Mini component system for the past 10+ years and its doing well. However I want to upgrade this to a mini component system which plays MP3 via CD/DVD or USB sticks and other format. Please suggest which player system should I buy? would prefer something in Onkyo or similar(??) mini component system.
My budget is ~25K

Thanks,
-Vijay

Have you looked up the Onkyo India site? The new CS-N755 Network Hi-Fi Mini System seems to be what you are looking for if you want to stay with Onkyo. I am a big fan of these systems and I still use my Onkyo Liverpool system extensively in my bedroom.

ONKYO CS-N755 Network Hi-Fi Mini System

Another really nice option is the CS-1045 CD Hi-FI Mini System

ONKYO CS-1045 CD Hi-FI Mini System

Last edited:
I bought a NAD C715 + PSB Alpha B1. Bought the combo for around 35K. Quite happy with it.
The USB interface plays mp3 and I have found the playback to be an improvement over my laptop's onboard. It even records mp3 from CD to the USB and that recording is also quite good. You can make out the slight difference between CD and mp3 though.
THanks.

@Nikhil: Thanks for the info. Yes, I have looked at Onkyo site and CS-N755 looks inviting. Not sure on the cost. will find out tomorrow.

@rkoti: where did you buy NAD C715 + PSB Alpha B1 ?

Any recommendation where in Bangalore to have a look at mini hi-fi systems?

Thanks,
-Vijay

A lakozy reseller in Pune. Didn't really invest too much time and energy hearing a lot of systems. Had a reference in my mind after listening to some high end systems so knew what to expect.
This seemed good to my ears, fitted my budget and was available so I bought it.

Update: Purchased Onkyo CR-N755 along with ELAC BS 53.2 speakers.
Its delightfully sweet sound to the ear and enjoying it.

NW radio is awesome and the best part is I can control the system using the Onkyo App installed in the Android phone.
I now need to setup a DLNA based server and start streaming to the device. Any suggestion on this.

Thanks,
-Vijay

I am planning to buy Onkyo CR-N755. How is it doing for you? How much did it cost?

I checked with a Chennai dealer. His price is 36K for the System and 14K for the speakers (DB10BX or D325).

Good buy?

You can also consider Denon RCD-N7 or Ceol or even Ceol Piccolo. They pack more output. Also, I am hearing Marantz CR609 is really good. I saw that for 32K in hifimart.

Thanks indy70

Yes, I considered both Denon RCD Ceol (latest is N8) and Marantz CR610 (Did you mean 610?).

But the price for Denon RCD N8 excluding speakers is 58K in amazon.in and the price of Marantz CR610 excluding speakers is 54K in hifimart, but sold out.

While I appreciate that the above products are superior, Onkyo CR-N755 including speakers can be done in 50K. There are some conflicting reviews about its wi-fi effectiveness though, as Onkyo CR-N755 requires a dongle. So, cost factor is driving me towards Onkyo.

I am planning to buy Onkyo CR-N755. How is it doing for you? How much did it cost?

I checked with a Chennai dealer. His price is 36K for the System and 14K for the speakers (DB10BX or D325).

Good buy?

50K very expensive for a compact hi-fi system..... Any reason you like the CR-N755 ?

Thanks indy70

Yes, I considered both Denon RCD Ceol (latest is N8) and Marantz CR610 (Did you mean 610?).

But the price for Denon RCD N8 excluding speakers is 58K in amazon.in and the price of Marantz CR610 excluding speakers is 54K in hifimart, but sold out.

While I appreciate that the above products are superior, Onkyo CR-N755 including speakers can be done in 50K. There are some conflicting reviews about its wi-fi effectiveness though, as Onkyo CR-N755 requires a dongle. So, cost factor is driving me towards Onkyo.

If you are ready to overlook this hi-fi & if you have a budget of 50K, then you can look @ Onkyo TX 8050 Stereo amplifier & try to add any BS speaker for 15K, and you can expect a far better performance than any of the products mentioned above....

Thanks for your response Elangos. :)

No particular reason for choosing Onkyo CR-N755 really. I have been looking for a mini Hi-Fi System which sounds musical and that has a CD Player, AM/FM Radio, and Network capabilities. I have come across this system which is cheaper compared to Marantz and Denons with almost the same features and also this system has got 5 ratings in whathifi.

I am open to look for better systems almost at the same cost. I see Onkyo TX-8050 has got good reviews.

Just a few questions though:-
1. I don't think Onkyo TX-8050 has a CD Player. Correct? I know, its not relevant anymore, but songs recorded in CD with high quality will sound better than an mp3? Am I right?

2. It seems Onkyo TX-8050 also requires a wi-fi adapter.

3. What speakers could be paired with this system for 15K please?

Thanks again for your suggestion. It is helpful! :)

Thanks for your response Elangos. :)

No particular reason for choosing Onkyo CR-N755 really. I have been looking for a mini Hi-Fi System which sounds musical and that has a CD Player, AM/FM Radio, and Network capabilities. I have come across this system which is cheaper compared to Marantz and Denons with almost the same features and also this system has got 5 ratings in whathifi.

I am open to look for better systems almost at the same cost. I see Onkyo TX-8050 has got good reviews.

Just a few questions though:-
1. I don't think Onkyo TX-8050 has a CD Player. Correct? I know, its not relevant anymore, but songs recorded in CD with high quality will sound better than an mp3? Am I right?

2. It seems Onkyo TX-8050 also requires a wi-fi adapter.

3. What speakers could be paired with this system for 15K please?

Thanks again for your suggestion. It is helpful! :)

Take a rating of any magazines as a guidance.... They are rated for the price prevailing in that region....

1) Nope.. It doesn't have CD player...Onkyo TX 8050 is a modern stereo amplifier which has digital inputs, USB input, FM reception... CD (hard copy)/FLAC,WAV (soft copy of CD) are the same losless format... Yes.. YOu are right... CD/FLAC/WAV will sound better than MP3.... BTW Onkyo TX 8050 USB unput can play most of the digital formats like FLAC/WAV/MP3...

2) If you can hardwire with Ethernet cable, you don't need an wi-fi adapter

3) Some speakers for you to consider in no specific order...

Sonodyne Sonus 1501 V3 Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) - 12K

Q Acoustics 2010 Compact Bookshelf Speaker (Pair) - 15K

Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Speaker (Pair, Black Finish) - 19K

Cambridge Audio Minx XL Bookshelf Speakers - 14K

If you have more CD's, it makes sense to buy a CD player... If you have more digital collection (MP3/FLAC/WAV), getting an amplifier like these is better as it doubles up the functionality....

Many Thanks for your detailed response Elangos! Much appreciated. :)

I will be auditioning both Onkyo TX-8050 and Onkyo CR-N755 this week. I will let you know how I get on.

Having read the reviews, I may go for either Q Acoustics 2010 speakers or Boston acoustics. That's an 'hand-picked' list of quality speakers at my budget! Thanks for that.

I still need to decide about whether or not I need a CD player. I don't have a vast number of CDs, but I thought I could purchase when I have a good hi-fi system. My preferences are 80's and 90's Ilaiyaraja and A.R.Rahman songs, not sure if I will find FLAC format of those songs. I will do some research on this.

Thanks again! :)

If you rip CDs into Flac or Alac (iTunes) then you don't need CDs. In fact I am just hoping that we will have access to Flac 24 songs in future than the CDs or iTunes quality music. If you want to sacrifice the CD Player then you can check out Marantz CR510 (CR610 without CD Player). I think it is about 35 K in Hifi mart. Pair it with above bookshelf suggestions. Convert your CDs to Flac or Alac and you are done !

Thanks indy70 for your inputs! :)

Marantz CR510 seems to be available on hifimart for 36K. However, it does not seem to have an FM/AM Tuner. I think, I really need to decide what I can sacrifice (CD Player, FM/AM Tuner etc), so I will be able to take a decision on this.

Thank you!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back