Which one is the ideal stereo amp for Dali Zensor 3?

Hi everyone,

I am going to audion Dali Zensor 3 based on my research and recommendations by various dealers. The kind of music I am mostly going to listen to is Classics, Hindi OST for 70% of times, Jazz and Rock for 30%, via Fiio X1 as the main sound source. I will also keep them plugged with TV to watch movies on Netflix (may add a subwoofer later, if required).

I already auditioned Zensor 1 but was not impressed with its high range and bass response. However, heard that Zensor 3 are miles ahead than Zensor 1.

Here I need your great help to decide the right amp within the budget of Rs. 60,000. I was getting lured of getting an AVR (to get 5.1 in future) but it seems it's a compromise when your main purpose is listening to high fidelity music.

I also need your help on deciding the right kind of under stereo category also like a pure stereo amp without any digital interference e.g Marantz PM6005 or the one with Bluetooth, USB support e.g Yamaha R-N602.

Some of the AMPs I shortlisted are:

Onkyo A-9010, Rs. 29,000

Cambridge Audio CXA60, Rs. 63,200

Marantz PM5005, Rs, 36,000

Marantz PM6005, Rs. 50,000

Marantz PM6006 Integrated Amplifier, Rs. 32,000

Yamaha R-N602, Rs. 40,000

Kindly share your choice on above and please add if you have any other better option.

Please also share your thought on after sale service (heard Yamaha is the best). Above prices are from Amazon, hope it's safe to buy from there.

Hi Prish....

If you want to listen to classical, old Hindi and rock, then please bear in mind, that these recordings especially the old ones are on the bright side. So we need a system that has to be warm sounding, to take away this brightness. Plus if you are sitting in a room with bare walls, and minimal furnishings it will again add to the brightness.

So unless you are completely sold on the zensor 3, I would advise to try out different speakers from warmer brands like Qacoustics and wharfdale. However, if you are already sold on the zensor 3'S, then you need very neutral or warmish amps. The zensor 3 are capable of some amazing bass, so I would ideally add a arcam integrated amp to bring out that punchy presentation..

By the way, there is a pair of pmc db1i golds on sale in our forum..They are in a completely different league to the zensor's or the Qacoustics. I have heard them a lot of times in the sellers place. And they are awesome. Very very tiny, with awesome scale, great bass that belies their size , and highly detailed. It took a ATC SCM11 to match them. And the ATC is well upwards of the 1L.mark..So please give it a thought.

Hi Prish....

If you want to listen to classical, old Hindi and rock, then please bear in mind, that these recordings especially the old ones are on the bright side. So we need a system that has to be warm sounding, to take away this brightness. Plus if you are sitting in a room with bare walls, and minimal furnishings it will again add to the brightness.

So unless you are completely sold on the zensor 3, I would advise to try out different speakers from warmer brands like Qacoustics and wharfdale. However, if you are already sold on the zensor 3'S, then you need very neutral or warmish amps. The zensor 3 are capable of some amazing bass, so I would ideally add a arcam integrated amp to bring out that punchy presentation..

By the way, there is a pair of pmc db1i golds on sale in our forum..They are in a completely different league to the zensor's or the Qacoustics. I have heard them a lot of times in the sellers place. And they are awesome. Very very tiny, with awesome scale, great bass that belies their size , and highly detailed. It took a ATC SCM11 to match them. And the ATC is well upwards of the 1L.mark..So please give it a thought.

Oops sorry...the pmc db1i golds haven't yet been put on the forum for sale, I think my friend prefers to sell them locally in hyderabad first, to save on shipping hassles. But worth every penny, and please keep an eye out for them in the "for sale by owner" section. Thanks

Hi Prish....

+1. This is some advice which you won't get reading any review. I had burnt my fingers earlier buying bright speakers like KEF Q300 paired with Marantz which sound great with reference recordings and terrible with bad and bright ones. Unfortunately most of what I like are not mastered that well or are bright sounding. I switched to a Wharfedale diamond 225 and now realize the importance of speaker sound signature and our source material

Auditioned Dali Opticon 2 with Emotiva amplifier and blown away by the experience.

So I am planning to go ahead with Dali Opticon 2+ NAD C368 (Recommended by the dealer). Yes, it increased my budget by 2x but I really loved the sound. I may listen to some other brands (Monitor Audio, B&W) but kind of made up my mind for this combo.

Please let me know your thoughts on this combination, especially if you have any view on NAD C368 or any other 80 W+ amplifiers under 1L range.

+1. This is some advice which you won't get reading any review. I had burnt my fingers earlier buying bright speakers like KEF Q300 paired with Marantz which sound great with reference recordings and terrible with bad and bright ones. Unfortunately most of what I like are not mastered that well or are bright sounding. I switched to a Wharfedale diamond 225 and now realize the importance of speaker sound signature and our source material
I can relate to this now. Based on my research Zensar 3 was the go-to speaker. I felt it was great for vocals and classical but not versatile and missing that punch and clarity on high notes. Opticon 2 was Zensar 3+ what was missing in it. (Yes, but at the double cost :))

I can relate to this now. Based on my research Zensar 3 was the go-to speaker. I felt it was great for vocals and classical but not versatile and missing that punch and clarity on high notes. Opticon 2 was Zensar 3+ what was missing in it. (Yes, but at the double cost :))
Excellent choice, Opticon and NAD should be a perfect match:). While auditioning also do play the badly recorded albums to see if it sounds harsh

Can you mention how much the Dali Opticon and the NAD are individually are costing you ?
I hadnt heard of the NAD C368, but on paper it sounds like a winner. You will get all the conveniences of digital inputs (+ bluetooth), and a powerful 80W output too

Can you mention how much the Dali Opticon and the NAD are individually are costing you ?
I hadnt heard of the NAD C368, but on paper it sounds like a winner. You will get all the conveniences of digital inputs (+ bluetooth), and a powerful 80W output too
70 and 80 k respectively

Can you clarify, did you say that Marantz is warm hence you paired it with Whaferdale? May I know which model you had? Thanks

Can you clarify, did you say that Marantz is warm hence you paired it with Whaferdale? May I know which model you had? Thanks
I'm using Marantz PM6004 which is on the bright side of neutral hence paired with Wharfedale which are warm sounding. KEFQ300 lacks the low end punch and in turn can give the impression of lean and bright sound signature. So that pairing was not ideal for bad/bright recordings neither for extended listening on any material.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back