Which one of these JBL 5.1 speakers should I buy?

What other receivers are available for 20k?

Pretty much bottom of the barrel. The onkyo 609 goes for around INR 45000 (USD 1000). Last week it was selling in Frys store in US for $299. Pricing sucks in India big time. :mad:

I have formed an opinion from my serach that HK AVRs are priced at a very high premium when one compares Aple-to-apple with the likes of onkyos, dennon, Yamaha etc. The AVR 255 is comparable to 508 if I'm not mistaken, and the price difference is huge. In general, for a given price range, onkyos prove to be most feature rich.

In your extended budget range, onkyo txsr508+sks ht728 has been a popular choice. You should get it for @45k

You should also get Denon 1612 (or 1611) with Polk Audio RM705 for less than 40k (1312 + RM705 was going for 32k at ProFx). I had tried the Onkyo 508 AVR + SKS 728 speakers - and thought Onkyo HTS5300 (HTiB) available for a similar price (47k) was much better than that.

I have formed an opinion from my serach that HK AVRs are priced at a very high premium when one compares Aple-to-apple with the likes of onkyos, dennon, Yamaha etc. The AVR 255 is comparable to 508 if I'm not mistaken, and the price difference is huge. In general, for a given price range, onkyos prove to be most feature rich.

In your extended budget range, onkyo txsr508+sks ht728 has been a popular choice. You should get it for @45k
==========================================================

paritosh,

i can tell you one thing.. JBL power figures are much more honest than Onkyo's.

Features - are person specific and that alone cannot be a guide.

regards,
mpw

This is getting confusing :(

AVR-

I had almost decided on Denon AVR 1311 and had to chose the speakers. But now I see that Onkyo 508 and Yamaha 371 are also the options.

The issue is that I do not know how to compare these AVRs in terms of sound quality.
since I cannot listen to them side by side and make a comparison.

If I am correct Yamaha and Onkyo have burr brown which Denon doesnt have. Is it a important feature to have or is it over hyped?

(Although I told the dealer that I had almost finalised the Denon 1311; when he connected the Boston speakers he connected them to the Marantz. When I told him about this he said that AVR wouldnt affect the sound quality of speaker in entry level avrs????????? )

Speakers-

I listened to the Onkyo and Denon dht 390 which I didnt like very much. Also listened to the Boston soundware xs 5.1 which the dealer spoke very highly of but sounded just about ok to me.

I am inclined to buy JBL Cinema 300 and hope that after an audition tomorrow would finalize atleast on the speakers. 20,000 Rs is the MRP and the person quoted 19,500 Rs as the final price. I have read in this forum that 1 person got it for 18k! So what kind of price should I expect? I may have to come to Delhi after 2-3 days so can buy from there also if getting a good price.

Dear Sanchit,
Kindly note that the 200.5 has been discontinued.You can call me @09971531735 for any clarifications regarding JBL and HARMAN KARDON.i am from JBL DELHI.

Update-

Speakers Decided- JBL Cinema 300

Now not sure which AVR to buy with that? Denon or Yamaha or even Onkyo though more inclined towards Yamaha or Denon.

Also was told by one dealer that Denon service is not good. Has anyone faced any issues with Denon after sales service?

Regards

You should consider denon 1611 or Onkyo 508 as your AVR. Denon 1611 is available for 25K.

I am also looking for denon 1311 / 1611. But I am getting the 1311 for 24,900/= in Pune. Shouldn't that be the price for the 1611? can there be so much of a price diff in Pune? getting the 1611 for 25k, is that even possible?

Update-

Bought Denon avr 1311 for Rs 18,000 from hi fi zone Chandni Chowk, New Delhi.

Also saw profx speakers there which were priced around Rs 28,000. Sounded quite good. anyone has any idea about the quality of profx speakers?

dear Alto, sorry for replying late. Used to stay majorly off line recently.

Well, what I meant to say, in plain words is tat the two combos sound very much different from one-another. As per my feeling, I thought, SKS728 hooked to 508 sounded less sharp as compared to denon + Polk combo

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Hello everyone

Have almost decided on the Home theatre setup just 1 final choice between the speakers and thus requires some suggestions. Both would be paired with AVR 134.

Option 1-

Combo- AVR 134 + JBL SCS 200.5

Price- 32,000 Rs.

Specs-

JBL - Product Support - SCS200.5BK - Complete 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package

Option 2-

Combo- AVR 134 + Cinema 300

Price- 35,000 Rs.

Specs-

JBL CINESYSTEM 300

So which one looks like a better option for both movies and music based on the specs?

Also read on the forum that it does not support HD, Blu-ray etc? Now what could that possible mean? I know that it does not process video signals over HDMI but it should support all audio formats or it doesnt?

Please shed some light on this.

Regards

Hi, please do not go for harman receivers, better to pair the cinema 300 with denon 1311/1611.

Dear Sanchit,

If you have heard that onkyos are bad for music, have you really HEARD them? I would recommend a close audition of the shortlisted JBLs and Onkyo before you make a decision.

And, my friend, you have to look for a better AVR than 134. Depending on your movie to music preference-you can go for Onkyo or Denon in that order. The best option in your kind of budget would be

Onkyo 3400 (less than 25k)
Onkyo 308 with 728 (should be around 45k-hears them during my rounds of auditions, quite good for movie and music)
Denon 1311 + Polk RM6750 (has a completely different sound signature to onkyos)
Denon 1311 + Jamo 102

If you are lucky enough, you will find Energy Take Classic, which, according to many, is the topper amongst the Sub -sat gang for music

Also, do not give a miss to Yamaha.

Now, from my experience (the little that I have) is that for a g.ryood music experience, nothing is comparable to a pair of good floor standers with two ch amp. So, get your priorities set, and focus on auditioning as many systems as possible before making a choice.

And, as far as the debate of HOW CAN A SYSTEM BE BIASED TOWARDS MOVIE OR MUSIC, I would say, its the processing technique of sound codecs that separates one AVR from the other. Audio wise, the function of an AVR is two folds: 1. Decoding the ditital audio from source and converting it to analog format (read-electrical signal) 2. Amplification of the analog signal. So, the decoding is the stage which determines, majorly, how the AVR is going to drive the speakers. If you can imagine decoding section as a translator and source as a book of foreign language, you can guess if the translator knows the foreign language in depth and can read between the lines, he is going to translate the book with the closest precision to the original book.

For more info, refer the thread below:
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/11329-stereo-vs-5-1-sound-avr-vs-2-chn-amp-cdp-vd-dvdp.html

my vote would go with:
Denon 1311 + Polk RM6750 (has a completely different sound signature to onkyos)
Denon 1311 + Jamo 102
and I would also like to add:
Denon 1311 + Boston Acoustics XS (award winning 5.1 system)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back