Which one to go for : Rel HT1508 Predator, SVS SB3000 or Rythmik (small form factor)

Nitin K

Hi Friends,

I needed your advice on this. I know that auditioning is the best way to go but due to the ongoing covid conditions, it may not be possible to do that.
Currently I am having the SVS PC 2000 & I am very much satisfied with it for movies & it's decent for music though may not be like a sealed sub.
Although it occupies very less floor space it is tall & is big for the room (14 feet L X 11 ft W X 11 ft H.)

Hence I would be going for a sub with a smaller form factor & reasonably light in weight (less than 35 kgs) to shift it just in case (looks like age is catching up). The above mentioned subs are on my list & I am open to other brands as long as they sound good for movies & music as my preference for both is 50:50. I don't mind sealed or ported as long as they sound good for both. I do understand I may not get the best of both but somewhere close is also fine.

I know that the SB 3000 would go much lower down but I am assuming that the quality & articulation of the bass in the Rel may better( I may be wrong on this). Hence I don't mind sacrificing low frequency extension for that. I have heard a lot of good reviews about the Rythmiks, but the good ones seem big & heavy. If there is a smaller one which can pressurize the room size then great. The above subs are in a similar price bracket. Thank you.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Ok sealed subs are small and see if u can manage to go dual. You can just keep one at front and another behind or below the couch. Dual 12 sealed should give u a smooth response for both movies and music. Going for an expensive 15 inch with space limitation and no home audition is a risk.

Ok sealed subs are small and see if u can manage to go dual. You can just keep one at front and another behind or below the couch. Dual 12 sealed should give u a smooth response for both movies and music. Going for an expensive 15 inch with space limitation and no home audition is a risk.
Agreed Navin, but absolutely no space for the 2nd sub to the extent that my fronts are also wall mounted. Hence want to go for good single sub.

Agreed Navin, but absolutely no space for the 2nd sub to the extent that my fronts are also wall mounted. Hence want to go for good single sub.
Ok but getting a good single sub is no guarantee for good bass is what I am saying given the limitation to place ur subs at different spots. Better try to get home demo.

Hi Friends,

I needed your advice on this. I know that auditioning is the best way to go but due to the ongoing covid conditions, it may not be possible to do that.
Currently I am having the SVS PC 2000 & I am very much satisfied with it for movies & it's decent for music though may not be like a sealed sub.
Although it occupies very less floor space it is tall & is big for the room (14 feet L X 11 ft W X 11 ft H.)

Hence I would be going for a sub with a smaller form factor & reasonably light in weight (less than 35 kgs) to shift it just in case (looks like age is catching up). The above mentioned subs are on my list & I am open to other brands as long as they sound good for movies & music as my preference for both is 50:50. I don't mind sealed or ported as long as they sound good for both. I do understand I may not get the best of both but somewhere close is also fine.

I know that the SB 3000 would go much lower down but I am assuming that the quality & articulation of the bass in the Rel may better( I may be wrong on this). Hence I don't mind sacrificing low frequency extension for that. I have heard a lot of good reviews about the Rythmiks, but the good ones seem big & heavy. If there is a smaller one which can pressurize the room size then great. The above subs are in a similar price bracket. Thank you.

Regards,
Nitin
Hi Nitin

We discussed this on another thread. Can you give me an idea about the price you are getting for both REL and SVS ?

SB-3000 I have not heard but I don’t think you can go wrong with 1508.

Ok but getting a good single sub is no guarantee for good bass is what I am saying given the limitation to place ur subs at different spots. Better try to get home demo.
Sure Navin, will try if the dealer is willing to send the sub to my place.

Hi Nitin

We discussed this on another thread. Can you give me an idea about the price you are getting for both REL and SVS ?

SB-3000 I have not heard but I don’t think you can go wrong with 1508.
Hi Adeep,

Thanks for the advice. I am getting the Rel at 1,35k inclusive of GST.

For SVS, I have not yet asked the latest price. Assuming it may be around 1,40k when I had enquired quite some time back.

REL predator series is very good for HT purpose.
If i remember a youtuber in US said that there is a fuse issue in this series with frequent blow outs reported. so also check abt the service part with dealer.

Get
Hi Friends,

Regards,
Nitin
What AVR do your have?
You need to consider subwoofer calibration.
If you have AVR with EQ feature then HT 1508 is a no brainer.

REL predator series is very good for HT purpose.
If i remember a youtuber in US said that there is a fuse issue in this series with frequent blow outs reported. so also check abt the service part with dealer.
Thanks a lot, will surely keep the fuse issue in mind.
Get

What AVR do your have?
You need to consider subwoofer calibration.
If you have AVR with EQ feature then HT 1508 is a no brainer.

Thanks, the avr is Marantz SR 7011. I can calibrate to some extent in XT 32, but I don't know to use REW.

Last edited:
Any compact Rythmik model recommendations for music and HT ?

Last edited:
Have just recently heard the KEF KC62 and I have not heard a better sub in that price range. Ofcourse it can't beat the laws of physics but for music it was excellent. For music a sealed sub with a smaller driver or multiple small drivers are best imho.

Hi Adeep,

Thanks for the advice. I am getting the Rel at 1,35k inclusive of GST.

For SVS, I have not yet asked the latest price. Assuming it may be around 1,40k when I had enquired quite some time back.
That's a crazy price. US equivalent. :eek:

Hi Friends,

Regards,
Nitin
Since u r looking for small form factor , please do checkout for mjacoustics reference 1 MKIII subs in your list .It's very good for movies and music.
The bass resolution is fantastic and very very impressive. As per spec it's goes down to 13 hz.
This brand is started by Ex.REL engineers.

Below is the link for further specs info.

Hi Friends,

Regards,
Nitin
Since u r looking for small form factor , please do checkout for mjacoustics reference 1 MKIII subs in your list .It's very good for movies and music.
The bass resolution is fantastic and very very impressive. As per spec it's goes down to 13 hz.
This brand is started by Ex.REL engineers.

Below is the link for furt specs info.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back