Which receiver would you recommend..?

The TV does not return audio to the receiver. It returns only when both the input and return audio are connected to the ARC port via single cable.

So connecting PC to HDMI 1 and receiver to HDMI 2 ARC won't work.
That is how it is supposed to work.

I have 3 HDMI ports on my TV. HDMI 2 port is connected to my xbox, HDMI 4 is connected to my computer. HDMI 3 (ARC) is connected to the ARC port of the receiver.

"TV audio" is the input selector on the receiver. HDMI ports have to be manually selected on the TV depending on which input I want to connect to.

Edit:

One advantage of connecting the sources to the TV instead of the receiver is that the receiver need not be on say, if I am browsing Hifivision on my computer connected to the TV. Most of the issues faced by receivers are HDMI card related. I feel safer using only the ARC port of the receiver and other connections directly to the TV. My TV is connected to a UPS and hence less prone to electrical fluctuations.

Last edited:
Gosh!
Didn't know prices are so far up north!
This means they have doubled in the last 12 months... Very sad, indeed.

I'd suggest OP to hold his horses right now.

Prices are indeed very high and it only makes sense if you need the AVR now to see for pre owned options which is again limited but available over OLX or Quikr etc.

That is how it is supposed to work.

I have 3 HDMI ports on my TV. HDMI 2 port is connected to my xbox, HDMI 4 is connected to my computer. HDMI 3 (ARC) is connected to the ARC port of the receiver.

"TV audio" is the input selector on the receiver. HDMI ports have to be manually selected on the TV depending on which input I want to connect to.

Edit:

One advantage of connecting the sources to the TV instead of the receiver is that the receiver need not be on say, if I am browsing Hifivision on my computer connected to the TV. Most of the issues faced by receivers are HDMI card related. I feel safer using only the ARC port of the receiver and other connections directly to the TV. My TV is connected to a UPS and hence less prone to electrical fluctuations.!
Excellent idea!!
This is a fantastic way to shield the receiver from hdmi issues. Many thanks for the idea.

I wonder if you can knock out the HDMI ARC, and use optical instead for 5.1 ch audio (DTS and Dolby).

From what you have described, your TV supports audio Passthrough functionality, which is why it works for you. Many TVs on market today do not support this as yet.
However, this is what your TV manual specs mention about ARC,
ARC (Audio Return Channel) (HDMI IN 3 only)
(Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz, 16 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS)

If I upgrade my TV to one which has audio Passthrough, I think the problem is solved. Only issue, Sony is the only manufacturer who provides audio Passthrough for both DTS and Dolby. I work at Sammy with fantastic discounts, and looks like of no use for me!

A few quick questions, hope you will be able to help me out here.
1. Does your TV pass audio to receiver when the TV is on standby? I would prefer my TV off when listening to music from PC.
2. Does your TV Passthrough 5.1 channel for both DTS and Dolby via HDMI?
3. How about for optical?

Last edited:
Excellent idea!!
This is a fantastic way to shield the receiver from hdmi issues. Many thanks for the idea.

I wonder if you can knock out the HDMI ARC, and use optical instead for 5.1 ch audio (DTS and Dolby).

From what you have described, your TV supports audio Passthrough functionality, which is why it works for you. Many TVs on market today do not support this as yet.
However, this is what your TV manual specs mention about ARC,

If I upgrade my TV to one which has audio Passthrough, I think the problem is solved. Only issue, Sony is the only manufacturer who provides audio Passthrough for both DTS and Dolby. I work at Sammy with fantastic discounts, and looks like of no use for me!

A few quick questions, hope you will be able to help me out here.
1. Does your TV pass audio to receiver when the TV is on standby? I would prefer my TV off when listening to music from PC.
1. Does your TV pass audio to receiver when the TV is on standby?

No, it will not pass audio when in stand by. I normally turn off the picture when listening to music.

Yes. Tested DTS by playing Spectre on blueray via xbox.

I did not try out Optical, so I don't know.

Only issue, Sony is the only manufacturer who provides audio Passthrough for both DTS and Dolby.

Are you sure about this as a lot of new TVs including Samsung come with eARC which I feel should support all formats.

Last edited:
My TV is 10 yr old Panny plasma, looking to get a 4K this diwali.

The prices look ridiculously high. I am already kind of reluctant to get a new one, and this post is only convincing me more :). But for how long? I doubt the prices will fall in 6 months.
What is the best price at which Marantz 5015 can be obtained with warranty?
I've got a Panasonic XT50 plasma. It is about 10 years old.
When I used it as the main TV, I connected a 4k Firestick to My Yamaha AVRs HDMI & output to TV's HDMI port. Since TV is not 4k, it made sense this way. Panasonic do support HDMI ARC, though this setup worked well for me.
When I shifted to a 4k OLED last year, I connected Firestick directly to TV & Optical out from TV to the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure about this as a lot of new TVs including Samsung come with eARC which I feel should support all formats.
Its been a few years now since Samsung and LG have dropped DTS from their TVs. I'm not sure if they have got it back. Maybe I have missed something, but numerous posts have reported this.

Even 20 year old receivers have DTS support, I know it's crazy.

Last edited:
Its been a few years now since Samsung and LG have dropped DTS from their TVs. I'm not sure if they have got it back. Maybe I have missed something, but numerous posts have reported this.

Even 20 year old receivers have DTS support, I know it's crazy.

I went and checked this in couple of stores.
Confirmed, this is an issue with Samsung and LG TVs.

No audio Passthrough for DTS from TV to receiver. So sources cannot go via TV. It has to go via receiver and ARC. Also, if one wants to play content from apps on TV, like from Netflix, and if the content has DTS, you are stuck.

Bummer!

From what I'm aware, Sony seems to be the only option.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new receiver. Was looking for some info and suggestions.

Any particular recommendations on a manufacture and model?

Who provides it at a better price? I'm located in bangalore.
Please choose Yamaha anyday. Their power amp section are very powerful providing fuller sound

I went and checked this in couple of stores.
Confirmed, this is an issue with Samsung and LG TVs.

No audio Passthrough for DTS from TV to receiver. So sources cannot go via TV. It has to go via receiver and ARC. Also, if one wants to play content from apps on TV, like from Netflix, and if the content has DTS, you are stuck.

Bummer!

From what I'm aware, Sony seems to be the only option.
That is sad. Thankfully, there are not many DTS movies in streaming services. Blue-ray movies on disks will be a problem.

That is sad. Thankfully, there are not many DTS movies in streaming services. Blue-ray movies on disks will be a problem.
So, coming back to the issue,
#1 option is get a Sony TV (makes most sense, can upgrade receiver in a couple of years or so) .
#2 is to get an overpriced receiver
#3 wait or use an splitter

So, coming back to the issue,
#1 option is get a Sony TV (makes most sense, can upgrade receiver in a couple of years or so) .
#2 is to get an overpriced receiver
#3 wait or use an splitter
I would say, get a Sony. Marantz and Denon are making quite a few changes to their AVR lineups which you will get full access to a year or so down the line. You can then choose what AVR suits you best rather than get an overpriced receiver now.

This is top of the line, but am sure they will come out with other models too.

Last edited:
why is no one strongly recommending Yamaha AVRs, aren't they good ?
They are monster for their price and very robust build with good number of service center in India. But, of late; their stocks are not available for unknown reasons. Many dealers are also not sure when the stock will be available.

They are monster for their price and very robust build with good number of service center in India. But, of late; their stocks are not available for unknown reasons. Many dealers are also not sure when the stock will be available.
I have been looking at the Yamaha Aventage receivers. One downside is that they do not have Audyssey calibration (As i understand Audyssey is a better solution than what yamaha offers).

Either way, this is one of the two on my list - Marantz and Yamaha.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back