Which Sound Card should I buy

mbhangui

I made a HTPC in 2010. I am using the onboard realtek audio. I am looking at adding a soundcard and narrowed down to the following cards

1) ASUS Xonar D2X
2) ASUS Xonar STX
3) ASUS HDAV1.3 deluxe

I listen to music most of the time. However the rare occasion when I see a movie, I need 7.1 audio. Which of the above cards will you suggest? Where do I get them in Pune or online? Any other card apart from the above?

NOTE: I do not have any empty PCI slot available. The two existing cards are being used by a wifi card and one capture card connected to Tata Sky. Hence cannot use ESI Juli@ or ASUS Xonar ST

For music purpose it is better to choose ASUS Xonar STX. I dont think ASUS HDAV1.3 deluxe is available here. Two weeks back i have brought the ASUS Xonar STX and installed in me HTPC.

ASUS Xonar STX along with Foobar(Kernal Streaming) is giving awesome SQ. You need PCI Express slot to install this card. I hope your PCIe x1 slot is free.

It is available in ebay, but the price is a bit high. I got it for 7.3K (Dealer Price) here at cochin. The available stock of the said card is very low. This month Rashi peripherals has sourced only 7 such cards.

Thanks,
Bibin

If you definitely want 7.1 Audio, you can strike out the Xonar STX. It does only 2-channel.

Between the Xonar D2X and the HDAV1.3 deluxe:
- The D2X is a one card solution, and less costlier. It will give you 7.1 audio when you want it.
- The HDAV dx is a 2-card solution. There's a daughterboard, along with the main board. You will need 2 PCI/PCIe windows free in the cabinet. I don't think the daughterboard needs a second PCIe slot in the computer motherboard, though. The HDAV is also more expensive than the D2X. And have you identified a source to buy the HDAV? I don't think it is easily available to buy.

For the occasional movie, I think the D2X will do the job. Both cards will be a compromise on 2 channel music, though.

D2X does decent job for me.I am using it for 2ch & used to use 7.1 out for Bluray movies until I changed AVR.
Now if you listen more music,then STX is good one & can output 5.1 via digital out.

For the occasional movie, I think the D2X will do the job. Both cards will be a compromise on 2 channel music, though.

The other option is to remove the wireless N card and use the ethernet port to connect to the router switch. This will free up a PCI slot and I can have two cards :sad:

Will applications support two soundcard? e.g. in the XBMC configuration, I can select the D2X and in mediamonkey I can select Xonar ST card. both the cards can be connected to different input ports on the AVR. Is this possible? Has anyone done this?

D2X does decent job for me.I am using it for 2ch & used to use 7.1 out for Bluray movies until I changed AVR.
Now if you listen more music,then STX is good one & can output 5.1 via digital out.

Spirovious, Which did you find superior, D2X or STX?

Note for others: Anyone selling their Xonar D2X, Xonar STX?

Edit: Have put up my requirement in the WANTED section and waiting for moderators to approve.

Last edited:
i am also on similar lookout but my problem is that my htpc cabinet only supports low profile cards, xonar stx is not low profile, but there is one xonar which is low profile. Also creative HD is another card with low profile but not sure if it is as good as xonar. Another option is to use pci extension cable to install full height xonar outside the cabinet but wondering if that will affect sq.

Another option is to use pci extension cable to install full height xonar outside the cabinet but wondering if that will affect sq.

Never knew that this could be done. THanks. Did a google search and found this
PCI Express to 4 Slot PCI Expansion System | StarTech.com Global

If your preference is music then I would recommend to buy a network or USB DAC instead of sound card. Network wireless DAC is a kind of future proof.

You dont need even Wi-fi router for NAD wireless DAC DAC 1 Wireless USB Digital-to-Analogue Converter - NAD Electronics

For 7.1.. What is the motherboard Model?

svk, the motherboard is MSI 790GX-G65

My Entire HTPC config is here.

The NAD Wireless DAC is awesome. Looks like cost is around 300$. Does any FM have this?

Last edited:
The d2x is the best multi channel soundcard. The HDAV card may have hdmi but in terms of sonics the d2x outperformed it in reviews.

I might be willing to part with mine if you're interested.

For movies you have Optical out and HDMI, why not use the same rather than using going for another sound card?

I feel stupid now:eek:

I am currently using the SPDIF out from the motherboard (realtek chip) for both movies as well as music. But I feel that I need a better quality when listening to music.

So I need not buy two cards. Instead I can buy Xonar ST/STX and use that for stereo and use the existing coaxial SPDIF for movies. Thanks for saving money. I owe you :cheers:

Last edited:
The d2x is the best multi channel soundcard. The HDAV card may have hdmi but in terms of sonics the d2x outperformed it in reviews.

I might be willing to part with mine if you're interested.

Have sent you a PM

Spirovious, Which did you find superior, D2X or STX?

Note for others: Anyone selling their Xonar D2X, Xonar STX?

Edit: Have put up my requirement in the WANTED section and waiting for moderators to approve.

I have not heard STX,but D2X does decent job.You need to select better drivers & config correctly to get most of it.Review says,for music STX is better.
For movies,D2X has wide sound stage & performs well.

I have not heard STX,but D2X does decent job.You need to select better drivers & config correctly to get most of it.Review says,for music STX is better.
For movies,D2X has wide sound stage & performs well.

From where do I download these better drivers?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back