Which speaker set up would you vote for?

Which additional placement of speakers excites you with existing 5.1 setup?

• Total voters

Murlidher

If you have a 7.1 set up at home and apart from the existing fronts, center and surround side speakers, if you are left with selecting only one of the following 4 options, which one would you vote for and why? (please use voting poll above)

1) Surround Back speakers
2) Front Heights speakers
3) Front Wide speakers
4) Would never go beyond 5.1 even if I have options

I know it's matter of personal preference but would like to know what kind of set up most of our FM's are enjoying with ?

Last edited:
My choice would be 9.1 set-up... Regular set-up 5.1 + Front wides + Front heights....

If 7.1 then front wides....

Last edited:
:) I Would prefer 3.1 One Center and two Rears+Sub.Since I love the setup for Small room. Sorry my preference is Out of your Option.

Front height speakers for the Dolby Atmos experience.

Don't see the point in front wide speakers, most of the surround SFX are typically in the rear speakers - creaking doors, glass shattering, background vocals and crowd cheering in concert videos, background noises, etc.

Usually I switch to stereo mode on my receiver for enjoying the movies.

Surround tracks usually sound too artificial for my liking and so I switch them off. I do enjoy the surround sound where there is total immersion like in firearms, rain, sea side, ambient noises in forests etc but usually I dislike the rear speakers in '5.1' .

Audysseey recommends Front Wides if possible over Front Heights...

Agreed, but that's only from the perspective of room correction.

For some scenes front heights elevate the experience to a different level, especially chopper scenes or any action taking place above you (and not in front of you).

Transformers movies are a good example, but one recent experience I had was with Godzilla... the SFX were mind blowing and I mean literally as the SFX were coming from the top of the head. Of course this was a 7.2 setup, but it did point me in the right direction of upgrading my 5.1 setup.

Highly recommend checking out any action sequences that take place overhead with a Dolby Atmos type setup. Its a more immersive and complete experience aurally and not limited to simply surround sound, but sound in 360 degrees coming from overhead.

Of course I've not seen any true Dolby Atmos Blu-rays yet (there are not that many), but based on what I've seen (and heard) I've to say it offers a lot more than a 5.1 setup that only moves sound in a circular/around you pattern.

Audysseey recommends Front Wides if possible over Front Heights...

Yes... From reading, i understand that Audyssey made some research and found that Front Wides create more impact than front heights... Hence they made Audyssey DSX surround mode that expands 5.1 -> 11.1

Same for DTS Neo X Cinema which can expand 5.1 up to 11.1, but not much emphasis on which speakers layout....

Agreed, but that's only from the perspective of room correction.

Nope.. Room correction has nothing to do with front wides...

For some scenes front heights elevate the experience to a different level, especially chopper scenes or any action taking place above you (and not in front of you).

Transformers movies are a good example, but one recent experience I had was with Godzilla... the SFX were mind blowing and I mean literally as the SFX were coming from the top of the head. Of course this was a 7.2 setup, but it did point me in the right direction of upgrading my 5.1 setup.

I think you have Onkyo 616 which supports Audyssey DSX in front wide mode... Not sure if you have tried them....

Hope you meant 2 fronts, center and sub....

No Sir,
Its 2 Rear+Center+Sub. I had Yamaha Pro Logic system where there was such set-up exist.When I saw the recommended connected Just Laughed On How does it sounds if we have only rear and not Fronts.

Then I played a normal Movie with the Set-up.Believe it or Not the Voice was coming from Front and the Music\Movements were coming from left and right speakers, I was amazed with that effect.

Just for good effect I used nice Full range speakers for Surrounds (Rear). Just imagine the Voice would be coming from Center with no cross sound or music from Fronts and suddenly (According to the Video) the sound\music comes from rear left to right and right to Left :eek:hyeah:

I always prefer 3.1 Just because it gives clear Movie Experience for a Small size room.

Nope.. Room correction has nothing to do with front wides...

I meant Audyssey for room correction, not front heights vs. wides.

I think you have Onkyo 616 which supports Audyssey DSX in front wide mode... Not sure if you have tried them....

Yes to the 616 and no to the front wides. I only have a 5.1 setup and most of my content is also limited to DTS and 5.1 output so I never bothered to upgrade to 7.1/2. Still I've heard a proper 7.2 setup with front heights (it was akin to a Dolby Atmos setup, but without an actual Dolby Atmos Blu-ray disc) and the SFX coming from the top of the head (as opposed to front-wide or even front-top) is a completely different experience especially if you've been listening to a traditional 5.1 setup like I've for years.

No Sir,
Its 2 Rear+Center+Sub. I had Yamaha Pro Logic system where there was such set-up exist.When I saw the recommended connected Just Laughed On How does it sounds if we have only rear and not Fronts.

Then I played a normal Movie with the Set-up.Believe it or Not the Voice was coming from Front and the Music\Movements were coming from left and right speakers, I was amazed with that effect.

Just for good effect I used nice Full range speakers for Surrounds (Rear). Just imagine the Voice would be coming from Center with no cross sound or music from Fronts and suddenly (According to the Video) the sound\music comes from rear left to right and right to Left :eek:hyeah:

I always prefer 3.1 Just because it gives clear Movie Experience for a Small size room.

I am somewhat in agreement. I've used FS in a 5.1 setup previously and never found the front floorstanders doing much. It might make sense in a 5.0 setup without a subwoofer, but otherwise I found them unused for the most part. The most impact came from the center channel (I guess since dialogues form 70-80% of the SFX) and the sub. The surround SFX only kick in with the rear speakers. I've since moved to satellites for the HT setup and find it a more balanced approach even in terms of looks/aesthetics especially for the bedroom.

I am somewhat in agreement. I've used FS in a 5.1 setup previously and never found the front floorstanders doing much. It might make sense in a 5.0 setup without a subwoofer, but otherwise I found them unused for the most part. The most impact came from the center channel (I guess since dialogues form 70-80% of the SFX) and the sub. The surround SFX only kick in with the rear speakers. I've since moved to satellites for the HT setup and find it a more balanced approach even in terms of looks/aesthetics especially for the bedroom.

Yes Sir, When the Fonts sounds along with Center, The Center would be dominating since its in the Straight ,So the Front's magic would be interrupted get correlated .But in case of Rear, It comes from different direction so no correlation in Waves atleast compared to fronts.

Also No need for very sharp ears to listen, since the sou round managed by only two speakers and they would be placed Just left and right from seating positing,So effect would be efficient and make your head to NOD left and right very easily:eek:hyeah:.

+ Voice will be amazing,No interruption from the Fronts :) So Center work like King

Yes to the 616 and no to the front wides. I only have a 5.1 setup and most of my content is also limited to DTS and 5.1 output so I never bothered to upgrade to 7.1/2. Still I've heard a proper 7.2 setup with front heights (it was akin to a Dolby Atmos setup, but without an actual Dolby Atmos Blu-ray disc) and the SFX coming from the top of the head (as opposed to front-wide or even front-top) is a completely different experience especially if you've been listening to a traditional 5.1 setup like I've for years.

Even 90 ~ 95% of my movies are 5.1...I use surround expansion modes (Audussey DSX, Dolby PL IIz, Dts Neo X) to enjoy them in my 9.0 set-up...

When you say 7.2 setup, i guess the front heights were moved to ceiling (above listener's head).. Any idea on the surround mode used...

I've since moved to satellites for the HT setup and find it a more balanced approach even in terms of looks/aesthetics especially for the bedroom.

Right... If you have sub, satellites are apt fit for HT experience as you have mentioned....

Even 90 ~ 95% of my movies are 5.1...I use surround expansion modes (Audussey DSX, Dolby PL IIz, Dts Neo X) to enjoy them in my 9.0 set-up...

When you say 7.2 setup, i guess the front heights were moved to ceiling (above listener's head).. Any idea on the surround mode used...

Yes, 2 front heights (kind of like in ceiling speakers, but only protruding out) and 2 subs. The soundtrack was DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 for Godzilla and in direct mode with no upmixing. The Godzilla scream was from the top and apt for the situation as in the scenes it towers over the people.

Most of my content is DTS and my setup 5.1 so I've never used DTS Neo or Dolby's Pro Logic II for movies. I've tried these modes for music, but did not enjoy them much. Concert videos are again in direct mode. I do on occasion use upmixing with DTS Neo when watching TV (for the SD or stereo channels in Tata Sky) and can definitely say its an improvement.

Would love to listen to a 7.1 or 9.1 setup with DTS Neo 6 upmixing and see how it compares to the regular direct mode. For a standard DTS track in a 5.1 setup I feel upmixing kind of ruins it by excessive processing and as such prefer the direct AVR mode for DTS audio tracks.

Yes, 2 front heights (kind of like in ceiling speakers, but only protruding out) and 2 subs. The soundtrack was DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 for Godzilla and in direct mode with no upmixing. The Godzilla scream was from the top and apt for the situation as in the scenes it towers over the people.

Moving the speakers to the ceiling is really coool.. I think another FM (sdurani) suggested me the same when i wanted to move to 9.1 set-up....

If it is DTS-HDMA 7.1, then the soundtrack should have surround back channels.. Since you listened to front heights (ceiling), i think the soundtrack must be DTS-HDMA 5.1 with Dolby PL IIz processing that uses heights....

Most of my content is DTS and my setup 5.1 so I've never used DTS Neo or Dolby's Pro Logic II for movies. I've tried these modes for music, but did not enjoy them much. Concert videos are again in direct mode. I do on occasion use upmixing with DTS Neo when watching TV (for the SD or stereo channels in Tata Sky) and can definitely say its an improvement.

When you use the surround modes for stereo, sometimes it is good, sometimes it may sound awkward...

But when you use them with 5.1 content, then it is very good...

Would love to listen to a 7.1 or 9.1 setup with DTS Neo 6 upmixing and see how it compares to the regular direct mode. For a standard DTS track in a 5.1 setup I feel upmixing kind of ruins it by excessive processing and as such prefer the direct AVR mode for DTS audio tracks.

Having experienced movies in 5/7/9.x format using these surround modes, i feel that 5.1 is like "Broken egg on a plate", while 9.1 is "Yolk inside an egg" :eek:hyeah:

After 1 month of testing with front heights & front wides, I changed the speaker position to surround back and played a 7.1 DTS coded blu ray movie. Well, the sound stage and the background sound was phenomenal and now it looks like I would keep it this way going forward :)

If you have a 7.1 set up at home and apart from the existing fronts, center and surround side speakers, if you are left with selecting only one of the following 4 options, which one would you vote for and why? (please use voting poll above)

1) Surround Back speakers
2) Front Heights speakers
3) Front Wide speakers
4) Would never go beyond 5.1 even if I have options

I know it's matter of personal preference but would like to know what kind of set up most of our FM's are enjoying with ?

Currently I have a 7.1 setup with
1) Fronts - JBL Floors
2) Center - JBL
3) Front Heights - JBL
4) Surrounds - Bose 201
5) Sub-Woofer - JBL

Having tested out various Surround System Sound reference Blu-Rays like Pacific Rim, Dark Knight and Matrix Trilogy, I feel the Front Heights are not so impressive as the there is no discrete channel for Front Heights yet for most content. I did get a better localization of vocals on the picture when I switched from 5.1 to 7.1. The Matrix Blu-Ray(s) BTW gave a better immersive experience than the rest, especially with the surrounds. The Matrix BDs seemed to utilize all channels better. I don't have room to try the surround back so I am going to try the Front Wides setup over the next few days based on recommendations of Chris of Audyssey and other bloggers. Supposedly The Front Wides are better as they expand the sound stage.

Last edited:
I don't have room to try the surround back so I am going to try the Front Wides setup over the next few days based on recommendations of Chris of Audyssey and other bloggers. Supposedly The Front Wides are better as they expand the sound stage.

Yes... Try to get the placement right when adding front wides... They are by far the best sound stage expansion i have heard so far... I hope your AVR supports Audyssey DSX surround mode...

If you haven't checked the placement guidelines, here are some links

http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dts_111.jpg

Me too considering placing the speakers in a hemisphere position as shown in images...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back