Which stereo/2ch upscale format do you prefer

corElement

Which stereo/2ch upscale format on which avr do you use?

I normally try to get proper cd's and run them but majority of the times I end up listening to pcm 128-192kbps mp3's from the pc as source. When I run do my preferred choice of upscaling is neo6 as my large fronts seem far richer in this mode compared to the dolby pcm upscale modes and the default multichannel stereo upscale ( pretty bad in comparison to my avr's neo6 upscale )

I dont know about the newer dolby hd and dts hd formats, do they upscale 2 channel stereo sources? Or does it only work with sources which have hd channels predefined? Eitherways thats not the reason why I made the thread - just a question.

So whats your preferred 2ch upscale format and which avr do you use?

Format : Neo6
AVR : Jamo AVR 693 / year 2005

Last edited:
DTS Neo:6 is a surround sound decoding format that uses multi-channel matrix from two-channel source similar to Dolby Prologic II and IIx. I don't think they upscale/upsample the signal. personally I use direct stereo mode when I am listening to music and If I am watching TV I usually apply Dolby Prologic II.

Format: Dolby Prologic II when watching TV with 2 ch source
AVR: Pioneer VSX-2016/ Yr 2007

DTS Neo:6 is a surround sound decoding format that uses multi-channel matrix from two-channel source similar to Dolby Prologic II and IIx. I don't think they upscale/upsample the signal. personally I use direct stereo mode when I am listening to music and If I am watching TV I usually apply Dolby Prologic II.

Format: Dolby Prologic II when watching TV with 2 ch source
AVR: Pioneer VSX-2016/ Yr 2007

Yes I meant that, just used the word upscale generally to refer to...decode/upscale 2 ch source >_<

I like dolby prologic II for movies too, neo6 for music. =) The standard stereo upmix on my avr dosnt do as nice a job as the neo6. I think the direct stereo multichannel mode probably varies greatly from avr to avr no?

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back