which tv to buy?

I have to disagree with you,if you have read those enough threads about lcd vs plasma i am in 90% of those threads.
The lcd vs plasma threads has no closure,its still an ongoing debate in every forums.

While plasma still have the edge in some areas mainly viewing angle which won't matter for everyone unless they are unfortunate to view a tv at those extreme off angles,IPS based lcd tvs have wide viewing angles with only contrast shift and no color shift and tech used in HX92 series has neither,SPVA offers more then enough viewing angle for a couch of 3 people.

Color accuracy in lcd are more then a match for plasma what do you think the pros use a when adding CGI in movies/animation ,photoshop etc its a lcd monitor or trimastar pro monitor.
Infact a plasma produces color by dithering.

As far as Black level sure in pixel level the panasonic FHD plasma have the edge,but that edge can only be seen in a dark environment.
In day time or living room with significant ambient light the lcd still has the edge in contrast.
In the night time the VA based lcds can match or even surpass the samsung/lg plasmas,while the panasonic FHD plasma still have that edge,but then again you have local dimming lcd to challenge the panasonic VT plasmas.

Widely accepted by many pro review sites as the best tv is still a lcd the sharp elite apart from viewing angle its has the edge in pretty much every area.

which is why I said given the same price............the HX92, Sharp elite no doubt are some of the BEST tv's around but at what price? And yes I do agree LCD/LED are brighter and would have an advantage in bright ambient light but plasmas would still outperform most tv's in a dark room. And I'm not talking about comparing the BEST LEDs with the best plasma's. We all know for how long the Pioneer kuro was the king and why no LED/LCD tv could even come close..........and nothing can take that way from them. It is only until recently LED/LCD have got their act together and managed to come out with great tv's to match or ever surpass the kuro.

For someone on a tight budget I would still recommend plasma over LED/LCD, unless viewing in an extremely bright room with lot of ambient light.

In the link : LED vs. plasma vs. LCD TVs - TVs - CNET - CNET Asia
since you talk about LED/LCD having better contrast ratio, black level, etc.......let me highlight the below from the same link:

Black level
Winner: Plasma TVs
Loser: LCD TVs
Runner-up: LED TVs

Contrast ratio

Viewing angle
Losers: LCD and LED TVs
Runners-up: IPS-based LCD and LED TVs

you cant deny that it is plasma that was considered as reference level and NOT LED/LCD.

Plasma displays are not always the best option. In fact, their cheap price advantage is offset by really bad muddy blacks and bad reflection. LG is a prime example of how bad a Plasma can get. In the last few years they released one respectable display - PK550, the rest are pure garbage.

Plasma television are mainly appreciated for their inky blacks, ability to handle motion and viewing angles. However, need to acknowledge the fact that not all Plasma exhibit these strong traits.

I really like the Sony HX925, EX720, Samsung D6600 series and above. Back-light unevenness, viewing angles and trouble with motion are undoing of LED-LCD but since last year the technology is catching up quite fast.

I own a LG PK550 but have maintained that I miss my Samsung 550 LCD as it offered better sharpness and dynamic range. Maybe my next purchase is an expensive LED-LCD. It all boils down to individual's requirement and taste. So do not blindly recommend Plasma. Offer advice of both and help FM make a wise decision.

Plasma displays are not always the best option. In fact, their cheap price advantage is offset by really bad muddy blacks and bad reflection. LG is a prime example of how bad a Plasma can get. In the last few years they released one respectable display - PK550, the rest are pure garbage.

Plasma television are mainly appreciated for their inky blacks, ability to handle motion and viewing angles. However, need to acknowledge the fact that not all Plasma exhibit these strong traits.

I really like the Sony HX925, EX720, Samsung D6600 series and above. Back-light unevenness, viewing angles and trouble with motion are undoing of LED-LCD but since last year the technology is catching up quite fast.

I own a LG PK550 but have maintained that I miss my Samsung 550 LCD as it offered better sharpness and dynamic range. Maybe my next purchase is an expensive LED-LCD. It all boils down to individual's requirement and taste. So do not blindly recommend Plasma. Offer advice of both and help FM make a wise decision.

I agree and appreciate everything you say. However I would like to clarify that I do not blindly recommend plasmas. I am well aware of the current technologies and it's a matter of personal preference, each to his own. Being a THX certified video calibrator would make perhaps make me a bit aware of the current video technologies available!!! and yes, it is very encouraging to see how good LED technology has improved over the years matching plasma like black levels and contrast ratios. And irrespective of plasma or LED both once calibrated can give you jaw dropping picture quality.

If we talk about garbage plasmas the same applies with LCD/LED as well. Both have good and bad tv's depending on the model. I am not trying to promote any particular brand, just merely trying to substantiate a point not to dismiss plasma alongwith LED/LCD essentially when budget is a constraint while picture quality takes priority.

The debate of Plasma vs LCD/LED continues............and should perhaps be discussed in another thread. :)

which is why I said given the same price............the HX92, Sharp elite no doubt are some of the BEST tv's around but at what price? And yes I do agree LCD/LED are brighter and would have an advantage in bright ambient light but plasmas would still outperform most tv's in a dark room. And I'm not talking about comparing the BEST LEDs with the best plasma's. We all know for how long the Pioneer kuro was the king and why no LED/LCD tv could even come close..........and nothing can take that way from them. It is only until recently LED/LCD have got their act together and managed to come out with great tv's to match or ever surpass the kuro.

For someone on a tight budget I would still recommend plasma over LED/LCD, unless viewing in an extremely bright room with lot of ambient light.

In the link : LED vs. plasma vs. LCD TVs - TVs - CNET - CNET Asia
since you talk about LED/LCD having better contrast ratio, black level, etc.......let me highlight the below from the same link:

Black level

Contrast ratio

Viewing angle
Losers: LCD and LED TVs
Runners-up: IPS-based LCD and LED TVs

you cant deny that it is plasma that was considered as reference level and NOT LED/LCD.

Lcd and LED-lcd where always more expensive then plasmas and that won't change for some years,the current generation do research while buying stuff or atleast buy magazines.

They also do visit showrooms,multi brand showrooms and not all showrooms are well lit, the fact is people prefer buying lcds despite being more expensive be it in india or elsewhere,they outsell plasma in every size.This shows that people prefer lcd over plasma,you are free to interpret as to why ,pro plasma camp most common reply is its due to sales man,bright showrooms while it may have a minor role its not the primary reason why people buy lcd over plasma.
If they were inferior in every way like you put it, why would anyone even think of buying them considering they are expensive and you get a bigger plasma for the same price.

As far as the cnet asia link,

Black level not all plasma can beat the Samsung and Sony lcd or other lcds tv with VA panels.
Its only the panasonic FHD plasma that have the edge.
Thats nonsense to say that LED has inferior blacks vs LCD.CCFL or LED is just a light source the lcd layer just blocks the light.(only the local dimming LED-lcd have the edge) vs a lcd or non local dimming LED-LCD tv.

Contrast ratio
Plasma have poor real world contrast ,no point measuring the contrast in a dark room and covering the tv with a black curtain to measure.
The moment ambient light hit the screen there will be a loss in contrast and lcd are better in preserving the contrast under ambient light.

In living rooms with EAST and WEST facing windows or rooms with light source in front of the tv or towards the side of the person viewing it,the lcd huge on demand brightness capability makes it easier in defeating the glare

Plasma also have poor brightness,their brightness starts to decrease if the APL increases more so if the color displayed is of light color or white in color.
Brighntess of plasma drops to as low as 1/3rd their peak brightness.

Viewing angle is one area plasma have the edge.

So saying plasma is superior is nothing but statements from pro plasma camp.Both have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
I think we are digressing a bit. The OP has a budget of 45k for a TV, so please suggest the same, stop recommending TV's like HX920.

The TV's that would fall in the range would be typically around 42 inch lcd's or 32inch LED's typically in the mid range which is the 5 series in Samsung and a similar range in LG or Sony.

The top end 3d versions would be more expensive. Personally, go for a Samsung/LG at that price range. Sony is competitive in the high end, but the mid and budget range, you would be happier with Samsung/LG.

Nice to see a certified calibrator among us. Maybe you can demo next purchase with me.

Plasma vs. LCD is a long running debate, sometimes blown out of proportion.

To get the thread back on track... Samsung D5000,D5500 are good series. So are some budget LG. Sony EX720 will be good option too. Am not sure of the prices though 2011 models should be available at good discounts.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back