Whirlwind Bangalore

prem

It was great visiting analogous, anilva, arj, coaltrain and Dr Bass homes in Bangalore.

Anilva’s place is the Mecca. It’s like a guided tour of how speakers have evolved (or maybe not :) ) over a period of time. The EMT 927 turntable was fantastic.

Arj over the years has kept fine tuning and now his system plays at a level. For me visiting arj’s place is like homecoming.

It was lovely meeting analogous for the first time. Heard various combinations of his amp, speakers and dac. For me the standout was the Zu plus Croft combo.

Coaltrain has a simple lovely system which is non fatiguing and serves his needs perfectly. Isn’t that what this hobby is all about?

And at Dr Bass, we tried out various phono and SUT combinations. The simple vintage Yamaha active phono really sounded good at his place. It eclipsed more expensive stuff. Also listening to the Slagle vs an active pre was interesting. To my ears the autoformer sounded more correct.

All in all a great trip. Thanks guys for the hospitality. Waiting to reciprocate when you guys come to Mumbai

Prem having you home is not just a pleasure but a truly learning experience on whats and hows of listening . Over the years knowing you i have been able to move my SLA around recognising good sound from days to a 15 minutes. but still a way away to get to the 5 seconds you take :)

But yes the experiments with so many combinations and their results were truly learning and some myths broken !

I am still blown by the size and scale of the 927 at @anilva 's thats the mothership of all TTs in size as well as the sheer sophistication in performance and engineering

Also listening to the Slagle vs an active pre was interesting. To my ears the autoformer sounded more correct.
Good to see this coming from you @prem. That’s what I felt too several years ago when I tried Music First Audio and later moved onto Silvercore Preamp 324 and have not been able to go back to active since.

Also, @prem, felt good to see your enthusiasm covering that many members in Bangalore knowing the city’s traffic. Btw, I am in Texas, whenever you visit USA.

Sure bornfi. If I come to Texas, will definitely get in touch with you. Thanks for the invite.

Arj and Dr Bass were kind enough to drive me to all places

@prem , it was a pleasure to have you and @arj visit and check out my set up.
I was truly amazed how you could characterise the sound of a setup within seconds of the music starting to play. This takes me weeks of listening to figure out ( if at all ). The session was enjoyable and educative for me. Thank you.

I’ve occasionally wondered to myself, am I really an audiophile? After meeting Prem, the answer is pretty obvious - an emphatic ‘no’! :)

Prem has a genuine interest in the sound of equipment, any and all types of equipment. And he has personally invested time and money to understand the nuances of different gear in his own home. Combine that knowledge with a keen ear for music and you get the essence of what it means to be an audiophile.

It was a pleasure having you over, Prem, and talking of many things - from music and gear to cabbages and kings. :)

Thanks @prem for coming over. It was a short session with hardly any conversation but fully focussed on trying different nuances of DD vs Acrylic platter vs Glass platter. Wanted you to listen to my Gaumont Kalee compression drivers, but didn't have enough time to mount the horns on them and do a changeover from the JBL 2440s.

It was a fun evening with @Dr.Bass whispering in your ear and convincing you on how good the Idler turntables are :) I am aware of my room being an audiophiles nightmare, with no regard to cables, speaker positioning, room acoustics etc., but I am helpless with constant changes and experiments.

We could have chatted over drinks, but @arj had to leave for a call. Next time.

Cheers

Nothing hard and fast.
You make friends and then visit them.
But there have been one or two bad experiences reported on forum members visiting each other.

Thanks for that, understood!
Check out this thread started by a Bangalore FM @raghupb

Oh wow, I visited Bangalore earlier this year to see my cousins; would love to have such experiences.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back