Who Has got Garrard 2025T or 2025Tc Turntable

Was this thread helpful and informative ?

• Very much

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Ok to some extent

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Not really

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waste of time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey man,

After scouring the internet, message boards, and talking to a few different local dealers - I still haven't made much progress (and am starting to consider other options..).

Any chance you have a name/item number in your files for the mounting plate for my Garrard 2025TC (trying to convert one-hole mount to two-hole)? I've been told I should be able to find one on eBay, etc - but, I haven't had any luck. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong item?

Please advise! Thanks again.

Your current cart is a ceramic cart with a flip stylus. The Grado Green1 is way superior and you'd also have the advantage of being able to use it with any of the modern amps with Magnetic phono input. If you plan to retain the ceramic, then you'll need a ceramic phonostage to go with it. Not sure about the part number (let me check my Garrard files tonight and see if I can dig it out) but you can even have that made at home with a small piece of aluminium.

Having said that, on another note, the Garrard 2025 series of turntables came with tonearms that were designed for (1) record changers and (2) ceramic carts. Record changer tonearms are usually designed to track heavy so that hopping does not happen. Also ceramic carts are designed to track at 4-7 gms or more. The usual tracking force for magnetics is in the 1.5 to 3 gms range.

Hope this helps.

I've got a Garrard 2025TC and it turns on, but moves only at a creep. My first thought was a belt repair, but research (which I started less than an hour ago) suggests no. I'm right now simply trying to find out more about this old family friend. The cabinet is from the 1940's, but the turntable was replaced in the 1960's/early 1970's? It has been well-loved since then, but hasn't had a lot of care. I talked to a repair guy about a year ago and (without seeing it, or having all the details) he was convinced it would be several hundred dollars to repair. Not having several hundred dollars to spend on it, I'm hoping that I can find enough information online to at least consider doing the repairs myself. At worst, I'm back where I started with an unusable turntable.

So, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I've got a Garrard 2025TC and it turns on, but moves only at a creep. My first thought was a belt repair, but research (which I started less than an hour ago) suggests no. I'm right now simply trying to find out more about this old family friend. The cabinet is from the 1940's, but the turntable was replaced in the 1960's/early 1970's? It has been well-loved since then, but hasn't had a lot of care. I talked to a repair guy about a year ago and (without seeing it, or having all the details) he was convinced it would be several hundred dollars to repair. Not having several hundred dollars to spend on it, I'm hoping that I can find enough information online to at least consider doing the repairs myself. At worst, I'm back where I started with an unusable turntable.

So, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Repairing a Garrard 2025TC will not be as easy as it sounds as this is a record changer and its a well known fact that Garrard record changers are complex machines. Also these are idler driven and not belt driven. Here's a pic of the idler wheel and mechanicals under the platter.

hqdefault.jpg

From what you've said, understand that the platter turns slowly. This can be due to a few reasons. Firstly, turn the table on and using your little finger, try to apply so friction on the turning platter. If it stops almost immediately without any apparent torque, then its a worn idler wheel or the idler wheel tension spring has stretched. The next step would be to carefully remove the platter (the service manual can be downloaded online and it will tell you how to do this) and do the same test on the motor pulley (with the motor turned on). Garrard motors usually have decent torque and hence, you should be able to stop it only with considerable effort. If the motor is not running well, it has to be stripped and cleaned up, lubed and fitted back. If the idler is worn, then it replacing it is the only option. If both the motor and idler are ok, then turn your attention to the platter's bearing assembly and the break mechanism (not sure if the 2025 has this (my RC210 does have a breaking mechanism). You may need to open up and clean the bearing assembly which is definitely not an easy task. Run these prelim checks and let us know what you find.

Hi,

I just bought an 2025TC, which wasn't working. So freed up, degreased and re-lubed and finally got it working as it should.

Now I am looking into making a plinth for it, as it is currently sat in a huge decaying unit.

Lifewater, I noticed you said you have information on building a plinth and would be extremely grateful if you would share them with me.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hi,

I just bought an 2025TC, which wasn't working. So freed up, degreased and re-lubed and finally got it working as it should.

Now I am looking into making a plinth for it, as it is currently sat in a huge decaying unit.

Lifewater, I noticed you said you have information on building a plinth and would be extremely grateful if you would share them with me.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Hi Kevin, congratulations on being able to get the TT working. You see I have sold off the TT along with the Original design pland for the plinth from Garrad to a forum member. If he is reading your post, I am sure he will help you out with a scanned copy of the plan.

regards,

Lifewater

Kevin, I have found the drawing - both the tracing and a 1:1 photocopy. PM me your address and I can mail you a copy. Or I can send a scan to your email if you share the ID.

I just received a Garrard 2025tc stereo center. When I tested it the radio worked great as did the player, with the exception of the auto play. However I brought it home the record player no longer carried to the speakers. I quickly figured that the porcelain needed to be replaced. However in taking it off (really I was being delicate and gentle) the wire broke for the red connector at the stylus. I suck at soldering and made it a little worse by breaking the wire a little shorter again.
So I called into a few record repair places and 1. Got told they do not work on the stereo centers, just mobile record players and 2. That the arm is near impossible to re-thread and that I should kiss the unit goodbye.
Is it really that impossible to re-thread the arm? There is only .25 inch wire cover showing from the arm.
Any thoughts? I hate to gI've up on it so easily.

I just received a Garrard 2025tc stereo center. When I tested it the radio worked great as did the player, with the exception of the auto play. However I brought it home the record player no longer carried to the speakers. I quickly figured that the porcelain needed to be replaced. However in taking it off (really I was being delicate and gentle) the wire broke for the red connector at the stylus. I suck at soldering and made it a little worse by breaking the wire a little shorter again.
So I called into a few record repair places and 1. Got told they do not work on the stereo centers, just mobile record players and 2. That the arm is near impossible to re-thread and that I should kiss the unit goodbye.
Is it really that impossible to re-thread the arm? There is only .25 inch wire cover showing from the arm.
Any thoughts? I hate to gI've up on it so easily.

Hi, the repairers are talking nonsense. If you are comfortable with electronics, just use the wires inside a PS2 mouse or for that matter splice up any thin USB cable and have access to the thin wires inside. use these to wire up your cartridge..

Regards,

Lifewater

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back