Why am I getting 480p on a 1080 p disk?

manishk13

Hi

Not sure why this is happening. I have a optoma hd projector connected to sony bd player bd370. Even for full HD disks with 1080p, when the projector and blue ray player comes up, it says 480p/60hz at the bottom of the screen. Does this mean I am not getting 1080 p? why could this be happening?

Thanks
Manish

Hi

Not sure why this is happening. I have a optoma hd20 projector connected to sony bd player bd370. Even for full HD disks with 1080p, when the projector and blue ray player comes up, it says 480p/60hz at the bottom of the screen. Does this mean I am not getting 1080 p? why could this be happening?

Thanks
Manish

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the video setting for Optoma PJ and select the output as 1080P/50Hz or 24Hz, it will work/ also vice versa for BDP

Last edited:
assuming that u have connected the BDP directly to the PJ via HDMI cable,also you cud go into the settings of the BDP and set output to either Auto or select 1080p output or if BDP connected via AVR u cud set pass thro in AVR to PJ from BDP

Last edited:
Re: Getting 480p on a 1080p disk?

How did you connect the Proj. with the Player....use HDMI or RGB (DSub) or RCA (Component) for 1080p. If RCA (Composite) or S-video is used its 480 resolution.

Yes. you are getting 480p only,.The signal is finding the first available analog SD souce which you may have conected through composite/s-video. Component RCA will never give you 1080P as it maxes out at 1080i

To overcome this try the following.
1. Set the output BD player to 1080P (or auto). I beleive you PJ will auto select the resoultion as per the input. Just make sure you have selected as auto source or HDMI enabeled
2. shut down BD Player/ (power off)
3. Remove any cable except HDMI (test its working properly before)
4. Start the PJ first (or if its already running)
5. When it starts displaying full lumens ( may be 1 min after power on)
power on BD player (with HDMI plugged). Your PJ should search the available singal. In this case its having only one souce i.e:1080p so it will diplay as it gets.

This trick works many times when there is a HDMI handshake issue. Try it once.

apologize for posting in 2 sections. since the problem related to bdp as well as projector i wasnt sure. sorry if i violated the rules

rgds

thanks for all the replies. i have connected rca out of bd player to the av player (which does not support HDMI) AS WELL AS the hdmi out directly to the projector. the reasoning was to see any analog video out through rca. also digital coax out of bd player goes to receiver for dolby, like i said it does not support hd . my logic (incorrect i guess) was that when i choose hdmi source on projector, it will ignore analog rca through receiver whiich i am setting to take digital coax as default. maybe it is taking the video by default through the rca , ignoring the hdmi. so as suggested, i will disconnect rca and only do it thru hdmi

regards.

Dear Viper08

I tried it (removes all RCA cables ) and my joy was shortlived after seeing only 1080p at the bottom since it only shows it momentarily and starts looking for other inputs. So no picture shows up. This on sony bdp370 with a full 1080p dis,optoma hd20. The strange thing is when I press HOME button on bd player (so that I can watch from NAS) it struggles as shown above (some times no display sometimes only grains and then goes away) , however when I press the PLAY button directly, it plays the disc with out a problem. Assuming the problem was with the cable (I have a joint in between the HDMI cable), how would it do the disk flawlessly on the play button. Royally confused

Thanks for help

Regards

@manish

So you mean the disk played at 1080p or 480p? Get a good HDMI cable without joints. (Dont spend more than 500 bucks. Not worth) and try again. Also try disabling auto source on pj and select only HDMI.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back