Why do Home theaters result in huge electricity bills?

Donivlapog

I have noticed Home theaters consuming as much power as an AC 3 star. I had to install a solar to nullify it. Ofcourse I sometimes use my AVR as much as I use the TV, almost 5 to 6 hours a day. How many of you have had this problem? My HT consultant also warned me it would consume 4 units a day for 5 hours of use. But on an average i measured almost 8 units a day when i use them. These are passive speakers and so is powered by the receiver. Still is it likely to consume so much or is my dedicated 1 kva inverter and batteries the cause for it? If so should i use the power of the inverter alone so as to avoid a double power consumption if it is the case?

I have noticed Home theaters consuming as much power as an AC 3 star. I had to install a solar to nullify it. Ofcourse I sometimes use my AVR as much as I use the TV, almost 5 to 6 hours a day. How many of you have had this problem? My HT consultant also warned me it would consume 4 units a day for 5 hours of use. But on an average i measured almost 8 units a day when i use them. These are passive speakers and so is powered by the receiver. Still is it likely to consume so much or is my dedicated 1 kva inverter and batteries the cause for it? If so should i use the power of the inverter alone so as to avoid a double power consumption if it is the case?
I've always had the TV connected to output to the AVR. So the HT is running everytime the TV is on. I leave the sub on all the time too. So full 5.1.4 channels running all the time for the last 12 years. Don't know how much it contributes to the electricity bill though.

What AVR are you using? Are you using any power amp? And what projector/ TV?
My stereo rig consumes a bit. it is a 20-watt class A and the rated power is around 450 watts. So, it is all about the topology of the amp.
Yes, the inverter consumes power. Don't think it consumes significantly higher.

My stereo rig consumes a bit. it is a 20-watt class A and the rated power is around 450 watts. So, it is all about the topology of the amp.
Denon 2700 h. No power amp. 5.2.2 (2 subs five lcr and surrounds plus two heights.

The only device which will consume a huge amount of electricity is the AC. The rest of the components in a typical HT setup consume nominal current. Don't know about class A amps though. The load of my 5.1 HT at nominal volume is generally less than or max at 0.2kva as displayed on the stabilzer

The systems based on power transformers waste 10-15% of electricity whether you are playing/listening to it or not.

My system that consists of at least 10 transformers and a projector, at peak it consumes around 600W and when sitting idle (nothing in standby mode) consumes around 200W. Now these 200W X 24 hrs = 4800W which is 4.8 units/day.

There is something wrong somewhere because just on HT should not consume that much. Faulty meter?

Even for subs, these days, aren't subs are fitted with class-D amps that are very efficient.

See if you can get something like this below that will help you checking the actual consumption.

is your inverter an online/double converting one or regular ?

typical AVR will have an efficiency of 80% ..so just calculate the power consumed. I doubt it will consume more than 400-500W

if your inverter is an online one then assume a 10% loss as long as you have it on hence its 100W and if it is on 24 hours thats 2400 W a day and thats you reason,

Last edited:
AVRs don't consume much power under normal volumes. Subs might.

The systems based on power transformers waste 10-15% of electricity whether you are playing/listening to it or not.

My system that consists of at least 10 transformers and a projector, at peak it consumes around 600W and when sitting idle (nothing in standby mode) consumes around 200W. Now these 200W X 24 hrs = 4800W which is 4.8 units/day.

There is something wrong somewhere because just on HT should not consume that much. Faulty meter?

Even for subs, these days, aren't subs are fitted with class-D amps that are very efficient.

See if you can get something like this below that will help you checking the actual consumption.

1st image : at the end of Watching one episodes of Mandalorian and Picard.
2nd image : at the end of few Episodes of Mandalorian and The Night Agent. ( could be about 6-7 hrs) .

AVR 2310 in 7.0 ( sub is on different point ) + 65" lg ( on medium energy setting , on full, it may be another 3+ units )

energy consu.jpg

1681660745135.jpg

Class A amps run at full pelt all the time, there is that heat for testimony 😜. If it is rated for 20 Watts, then you can safely assume a factor of 3.5 to arrive at a continuous power draw of 70 Watts from the time you switch it on 😅
Edit : I used to have a big monotrous krell once upon a time. Its power draw on switching on was so immense, it used to trip the 10 amp breaker for the room, whenever I used to switch it on. Had to upgrade the breaker to 13 amps just to use the Krell. But subsequently got scared that the in wall wiring might burn. So sold it to a gentleman of this very parish, who is still enjoying it immensely even today. Iam on the lookout for effecient class D now 😀

Last edited:
The simple answer is that they don’t - with a couple of caveats, esp on standby draw. These numbers have been measured by me over the years so stating from memory but should be +/- 10% precise

TV: Will vary greatly but a typical 65” will draw 150-175W at high brightness levels . so say 1 unit for every 6-7 hours of use. Minimal standby consumption

AVR: 120-130W at moderately high volume levels. around 5-6W in standby with network on else 1-2 W. so 1 unit for every 8-9 hours of active use + around 3.5-4 units a month of standby drain

Sub: While active power consumption is not a major problem (draw is usually low except high bass scenes) but standby draw can be an issue. Some subs (e.g. Polk DSW series) can draw as much as 35W in active standby resulting in 25-30 units a month

Power Amp: If you use one, please try and use a 12v DC trigger for its power. There is no real standby with these amps and they can draw up to 70-100 W all the time resulting in 60-100 units a month with zero usage

TL;DR: ACtive usage draw is not really a major issue . You would be hard pressed to find a setup that crosses 400W average draw during real world usage (which would be a limited number of hours in a month)
Its the standby power of some compoenents that can result in bill shocks

Just happened to check the specifications of Denon 2700, it Is 500watt in power consumption ( for US models 110v, should be same for 230v as as well i think). So 6-7 hours is 3-3.5 units of power consumption. Check the specifications of your gear and Add sub, TV, inverter plus standby mode, plus any electricals linked to HT such as ac, light.. overall it can go up to 6-8 units easily I guess.

My tubeamp monoblocks consume exactly 93 watts each ( measured) at normal operation. Total for two 186 watts. All other equipment put together -30 watts ( cd player, field coil power supply).

Also, Read somewhere, Dolby vision / HDR 10+ the energy consumption can be more.
- I did not check - though prime stick is set to use HDR always ( a bit brighter even in medium Energy settings )

Another option is also to keep Avr's Eco mode on "Auto". But I am sure the Op's issue lies elsewhere and not due to the HT devices being used as most of the subwoofers also being used are class D.

a non faulty AVR should not go beyond a certain range of rated power consumption. I see your are in chennai..are you sure the air-conditioner and coming summer is not the reason?

Class A amps run at full pelt all the time, there is that heat for testimony 😜. If it is rated for 20 Watts, then you can safely assume a factor of 3.5 to arrive at a continuous power draw of 70 Watts from the time you switch it on 😅
Edit : I used to have a big monotrous krell once upon a time. Its power draw on switching on was so immense, it used to trip the 10 amp breaker for the room, whenever I used to switch it on. Had to upgrade the breaker to 13 amps just to use the Krell. But subsequently got scared that the in wall wiring might burn. So sold it to a gentleman of this very parish, who is still enjoying it immensely even today. Iam on the lookout for effecient class D now 😀
Exactly. With class A, the power it consumes is predictable. wow, krell is that powerful 😱
Just happened to check the specifications of Denon 2700, it Is 500watt in power consumption ( for US models 110v, should be same for 230v as as well i think). So 6-7 hours is 3-3.5 units of power consumption. Check the specifications of your gear and Add sub, TV, inverter plus standby mode, plus any electricals linked to HT such as ac, light.. overall it can go up to 6-8 units easily I guess.
I don't think AVRs will run at their full potential at normal listening levels. It consumes much less than what is specified.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back