Why do we ever need HTPC ??

very nice thread! visiting the forum after quite some time.

all the features/facilties that i had felt were sorely missing during my regular use of my media player and could well be had by using an HTPC, have been covered here. from using XBMC, to looking up for subs instantly, to some occasional gaming, to watching YT and others, better PQ and AQ, connectivity options, etc., etc.

some weeks back i acquired an Android stick solely to watch YT on my TV. i had 'resolved' to get/build an HTPC some years back, which i forgot later on and ordered this thing in a fit of excitement. now that i recall that i had to get an HTPC, am now serious about it. gonna pester some members here soon. :D

Folks,

So much discussion happening around HTPC and it's advantage over Media Player. So I am also getting this itch to switchover to HTPC. Now please tell me what do I need? I have below things with me.

1.A laptop on which I have already installed kodi. Laptop model is HP Pavillion 15 P017TU which has this 1 hdmi connection. I have number of 5.1 DTS/AC3 rips loaded in it's internal HDD.
2. 40" Sony LED TV with 4 hdmi connections.
3. Yamaha RXV 473.

Now please guide me how do I make the connections? HTPC to TV or HTPC to AVR? AVR is already connected to TV via HDMI.

So if I play the movies through kodi, will I get the same 5.1 DTS/AC3 surround sound?

Also how do make up for the remote control for htpc? do i need to by wireless mouse for the laptop?

Any other additional hardware/software needed by me? please do let me know.

I am planning to move to htpc because of kodi's nice user interface and upgradation option.

1.A laptop on which I have already installed kodi. Laptop model is HP Pavillion 15 P017TU which has this 1 hdmi connection. I have number of 5.1 DTS/AC3 rips loaded in it's internal HDD.
2. 40" Sony LED TV with 4 hdmi connections.
3. Yamaha RXV 473.

A laptop is an option but it does not give room for upgradation and improvements. A desktop will be a better option.

Now please guide me how do I make the connections? HTPC to TV or HTPC to AVR? AVR is already connected to TV via HDMI.

Think of the HTPC as another DVD/Blu-ray player. Connect it to the AVR and let the AVR manage.

So if I play the movies through kodi, will I get the same 5.1 DTS/AC3 surround sound?

Yes and No. The combination is capable of sending audio codecs to the AVR. But that depends upon the sound card inside you laptop. Use the laptop audio settings to transfer 5.1 audio to the AVR.

Also how do make up for the remote control for htpc? do i need to by wireless mouse for the laptop?

A wireless mouse and keyboard in my mind is the best option. Today there are lots of Andoid apps available that can control the basic Windows functions as well as specific software functions. You would need a functional Wifi for this.

Any other additional hardware/software needed by me? please do let me know.

As I said before, there is hardly anything you can do with a laptop. Use it and see. Change settings to get the best you can.

Cheers

I have tried connecting my laptop to AVR but the problem is AVR is not decoding the signal which was showing PCM on it's display. Please guide me what kind of settings do I need tweak in my laptop. I am using windows 10. Also I am trying to use it as htpc with kodi.

Last edited:
I have tried connecting my laptop to AVR but the problem is AVR is not decoding the signal which was showing PCM on it's display. Please guide me what kind of settings do I need tweak in my laptop. I am using windows 10. Also I am trying to use it as htpc with kodi.

If your AVR is showing PCM, the laptop is decoding the signals and sending uncompressed audio to the AVR. When it receives PCM data, the AVR will do nothing but amplify it and play it.

Set your laptop to send bitstream data to the AVR. This thread may help you.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...49996-how-bitstream-hd-audio-htpc-laptop.html

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back