Why is the idea of active HT not so popular?

Consumers will start considering active speaker options when companies like Topping, SMSL, Schiit or Sabaj come up with inexpensive surround processors using something like the ES9038Pro which can do 8 channels of processing and measure well objectively..

Until then, the price of AV processors will be the bottleneck.

A few of the points mentioned seem more relevant to designers than end users. Many might however translate to audible improvements to end-users.

Thanks for the post.
Yes.. even if it's relevant to designer it effects the end result.

I would be happy if more excellent measuring affordable AV processors say for 9.1, 11.1 are around. The separates of Marantz/mono price/emotiva etc turns me off…..I mean they cost more than the total active speakers (off course not considering Genelecs )

(If anyone have some links, kindly share )
One can use the pre outs of AVRs like denon and marantz which have improved a lot ..
To make it cost effective the surrounds can be passive while the LCR can be active.

I have read that the Crown amplifiers have limiters built in. Is that for the amp or the speakers ? Am guessing for the speakers in which case it should be able to provide the same protection as actives.

IIRC, Bose used to do this with their speakers.

Yes limiters are for speakers. I don't know which crown amplifiers you are referring to but not all limiters (just like speakers,amplifiers) are created equal. With limiters you need to know how to set them for the speakers in question, in this regard it is best to ask the manufacturer for the settings and again the limiters will be different for different amplifiers/dsp. Most manufacturers which offer an active product will likely be using limiters to reduce warranty claims. If limiters are not setup ideally then you may loose usable output and in some cases may sound bad as the system hits the limiters. One final point of note, limiters are not a brick wall, you can still damage a speaker by pushing the signal, even with a limiter.

Yes limiters are for speakers. I don't know which crown amplifiers you are referring to but not all limiters (just like speakers,amplifiers) are created equal. With limiters you need to know how to set them for the speakers in question, in this regard it is best to ask the manufacturer for the settings and again the limiters will be different for different amplifiers/dsp. Most manufacturers which offer an active product will likely be using limiters to reduce warranty claims. If limiters are not setup ideally then you may loose usable output and in some cases may sound bad as the system hits the limiters. One final point of note, limiters are not a brick wall, you can still damage a speaker by pushing the signal, even with a limiter.
Crown says that "The limiter on the XLS Drive Core is just a very basic clip limiter which is just a on and off function. The limiting is only a dB or 2, you would be better off using an external limiter if needed."

Clip limiters are usually found on almost all professional amp, as the name suggests these are clip limiters, trying to prevent a "hard clip" that would damage the speakers attached to the amp. The limiters I mention would typically function in two ways by limiting the voltage. One it would limit voltage so as to not mechanically damage a speaker, this would be peak volage. Two it would limit long term voltage so as to not thermally damage a speaker.

It is very important to note here that thermal damage occurs much more easily than people think in terms of power, as long as the duration is long enough. What I mean by this is hours upon hours of play on the system, like a festival/concert or a nightclub. In this scenario you can easily thermal a speaker with around 20% of rated program power if it is continuous for 10 hours +, it is recommended to stay with 10% approximately. Rated program power is typically defined as twice the AES rating.

One can use the pre outs of AVRs like denon and marantz which have improved a lot ..
To make it cost effective the surrounds can be passive while the LCR can be active.
Not exactly my solution.

I mean I have a very good Media player/streamer in form of Shield TV....I just need the TrueHD channels to be decoded (hopefully by a Sabaj AV 11.1 processor...hehe I am dreaming)......and use active speakers for all the channels.

Why spent ₹ on things I won't use - phono/FM/and other not-necessary features of INFLATED PRICED AVRs.

(I have a not so palatable experience with my Denon 2500H......the update firmware causing a near frightening brick. which gave me a lots of thoughts on the way things are pushed to us consumers. I like the way the Chinese companies are going)

Reviving this thread for a query -
1 - Does anyone know of any active/powered in wall speakers? For Surround & height duty?
2 - Budget is flexible!
3 - Larger speakers for surround and smaller/round for height.

Gear Available -
1 - A 11 channel AV processor
2 - 3 channel amp running LCR (No sub & centre yet) - but that will be added later!
3 - Provisions made for in-wall rear & heights - with power cable & rca cables already laid out to rear & height.

Points to note -
1 - It is a drawing room so visible speakers is not an option! Plan to hide the rear speakers with acoustically transparent prints.
2 - Passive speakers are not an option currently - (unless there are no fitting options) - as that will need us to buy another amplifier etc.
3 - Looking for good quality actives for the rears - the height actives can be anything really - not too picky on those!

1 - Does anyone know of any active/powered in wall speakers? For Surround & height duty?
2 - Budget is flexible!

Gear Available -
2 - 3 channel amp running LCR (No sub & centre yet) - but that will be added later!
3 - Provisions made for in-wall rear & heights - with power cable & rca cables already laid out to rear & height.

Points to note -
1 - It is a drawing room so visible speakers is not an option! Plan to hide the rear speakers with acoustically transparent prints.
2 - Passive speakers are not an option currently - (unless there are no fitting options) - as that will need us to buy another amplifier etc.
3 - Looking for good quality actives for the rears - the height actives can be anything really - not too picky on those!

Never heard of in wall/in ceiling powered speakers, people usually use exposed powered speakers if they wish to use them as in walls etc usually just come with the baffle and drivers and use the wall for a box.

What speakers do you have, maybe consider some from the same company. I think you had genelecs.

You may have to choose aesthetic passive in walls or exposed actives.

The other choice is use regular actives and make a wall cutout for them, not sure if it will work as the amp may need some ventilation, you could check with the manufacturers if this is okay.

2 - Budget is flexible!

Gear Available -

Points to note -
Nakamichi Dragon with 11 surround channels. I guess it must be super expensive after duty. Cost price is around 3500 usd. All speakes are wireless.

Found something- lithe audio speakers! I believe that should be fine, planning to order one to see if they work fine as they seem to have some limitations!!

Found something- lithe audio speakers! I believe that should be fine, planning to order one to see if they work fine as they seem to have some limitations!!
Is it Lithos or Lithe. Just in case it is a type Lithos Speakers (the Indian brand) has been discontinued which used to be in busisness in the early 90's

Just in case!!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back