Why not listen to everything?

Analogous

I love the concluding para:
"The trouble with reproduced sound is that it is reproduced. An infinite amount of time and money could be spent in a never-ending quest to flawlessly recreate what can never be flawlessly recreated. No matter how lifelike the hi-fi, it will never have the energy, the punch, the mysterious chi, the vibe of life itself, expressing itself in natural, constant, unamplified sound."

I love the concluding para:
"The trouble with reproduced sound is that it is reproduced. An infinite amount of time and money could be spent in a never-ending quest to flawlessly recreate what can never be flawlessly recreated. No matter how lifelike the hi-fi, it will never have the energy, the punch, the mysterious chi, the vibe of life itself, expressing itself in natural, constant, unamplified sound."
It does resonate with my experience in audio so far. How realistic is it to expect a few speaker coils in a room to reproduce exactly the sound of musical instruments and singers ?
Though it may be much closer with electronic and techno music?

I read a few paragraphs before I got bored, the person who wrote it sounds like he's full of it to me. In any case, I prefer recorded, recreated, amplified music to live music (ie through speakers). Live music bores me. There is no warmth or tone (and way too much HF), it's just a mix of sounds with no real melody that can be attained with studio mixing, which is much more perfect in my opinion, I am of course talking about live music without any amplification or mics, and these seem to be rare. These days most live music is also amplified at concerts, assuming even that the musicians are actually playing instead of a lip sync. These sorts of events I find to be far too dynamic and artificial, these especially lack warmth as often the engineer in charge of the sounds overdoes it with clarity at the expense of musicality. Just my humble opinion of course. I'd like to note that I do appreciate live singing (unamplified), unaccompanied by instruments, professional or otherwise. But given the choice, always studio produced music. As a final note, the sound of the breeze and the sort can be appreciated sometimes when one is in such a frame of mind but I don't equate it to music. There may be more in the link but a few paragraphs were more than enough for me to understand it isn't for me.

I read a few paragraphs before I got bored, the person who wrote it sounds like he's full of it to me. In any case, I prefer recorded, recreated, amplified music to live music (ie through speakers). Live music bores me. There is no warmth or tone (and way too much HF), it's just a mix of sounds with no real melody that can be attained with studio mixing, which is much more perfect in my opinion, I am of course talking about live music without any amplification or mics, and these seem to be rare. These days most live music is also amplified at concerts, assuming even that the musicians are actually playing instead of a lip sync. These sorts of events I find to be far too dynamic and artificial, these especially lack warmth as often the engineer in charge of the sounds overdoes it with clarity at the expense of musicality. Just my humble opinion of course. I'd like to note that I do appreciate live singing (unamplified), unaccompanied by instruments, professional or otherwise. But given the choice, always studio produced music. As a final note, the sound of the breeze and the sort can be appreciated sometimes when one is in such a frame of mind but I don't equate it to music. There may be more in the link but a few paragraphs were more than enough for me to understand it isn't for me.
I think you might have missed the point of this article. But then you did say you did not read it.
I think there may be more people who have a definite preference for recorded music over live performances; for others it’s probably both.

I think you might have missed the point of this article. But then you did say you did not read it.
I think there may be more people who have a definite preference for recorded music over live performances; for others it’s probably both.

Could you summarize the point?

Very interesting point of view.
Another Para "A scientific explanation of sound excludes the subjective, psychological impact and ignores the fact that sound passes through the whole body."

There are frequencies in real life which are heard by bone conduction and other low frequencies which are tactile and felt by the skin/diaphragm which makes live (unamplified) music so involving. The singer in a recorded album may be far more accomplished than the live singer but there is something to it.. and then there is the visual ambience, the tactile environment and climate which can also affect us.

But since I will never have a Kishore/Lata or a Norah Jones sing to me in real life, will try to get the best out of the audio system.

Why don’t you read it yourself.
It’s a perspective of the author.
What you make of it is your own.
We are under no obligation to agree or accept anything written there.

I shall pass, I have no interest.
Everything ever written or said (other than absolute facts such as math) are the perspectives/opinions of the author.
Also true of everything.
Also true of everything.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back