Why the aversion towards speakers with bass

corElement
My prespective (using non-hi-fi analogy)

Its like asking different artist( including amateur / hobbyist like me) to draw or copy
a models' photo ( say your favorite star Madhubala ) -but NONE HAVE SEEN THE ORIGNAL PERSON.

Session 1
artist 1( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks good - there are exta lines strokes that make
the model older that she actually is in the photo
artist 2( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks good.. hmm the nose is bit.
artist 3( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks more of Nargis than Madhubala
artist 4( 10 year old ) - refuses to draw - he does NOT like Madhubala.
artist 5( 10 year old ) - Most beautiful image ( better than original )
Session 2
Now we ask them to draw an OLD man portrait on the street
artist 1( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks good
artist 2( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks good.. hmm the ears are a bit...
artist 3( 10 year old ) - leaves the scene feeling its not up to his task.
artist 4( 10 year old ) - draws the outline image - looks more of ... .
artist 5( 10 year old ) - refuses to draw - saying he cannot see him clearly.

our Judges, including sbg "thinks" ( to what ever limited scope )
session 1 , all the four artists were ok - good enough to Frame it and put in your fav place.
session 2 , only artist 1 did well
Why?
This young gentle man was able to make out the Features of the Old man,
like wrinkles, his facial expressions, hairs in his Ears....

corElement
So whom would to hire as your next artist to draw your potrait.:)

Bass ,Mids and High are essential features of any good "audio track"
but these are reinforced by thier neighbouring frequency to Sound Good or bad.
me thinks :)-
Highs are like a sharp knife/blade which can cut you skin
its neighbouring frequency will be like SHAKING the knife violently or in different directions to inflict more pain​
Mids are like Hand touches or pats on ones cheeks
supporting frequencies can convert these 'pats' to SLAPs and 'Knock-outs'​
Low frequencies is more to shake up - add some adverbs and adjectives here
you would wonder if the Floor missed you "like the desert misses the rain".​

So, most people may not have aversion to bass ( again me thinking :indifferent14:),
but may be what/which kind of 'bass' we need is always a BIG Quest to bring in some tranquality.
Where in ,many or possibly most of the speakers may not justify your requirements other than high End speaker ( like Da-Vinci ,Renoir,John Constable ..:rolleyes:)

The deepest bass effects you can hear are from thunder in the sky - how does that sound? That is real bass. Deep, fast, scary and with a quick transition from one bass note to the next

that is so true! - and it never hits the chest! It startles, rolls off -away from the listener in that particular (satisfying) manner!

edit- and IMHO - between 19 hz and 45 hz the compression/rarefaction wave merely displaces the eardrum mechanically creating a sensation of pressure - it is felt (gently) by the ear and not by the body (as audio_engr has pointed out)

Last edited:
that is so true! - and it never hits the chest! It startles, rolls off -away from the listener in that particular (satisfying) manner!

edit- and IMHO - between 19 hz and 45 hz the compression/rarefaction wave merely displaces the eardrum mechanically creating a sensation of pressure - it is felt (gently) by the ear and not by the body (as audio_engr has pointed out)

Suri, Ah finally you turned up!

Sbg, You have worked quite hard to come up with an analogy!

Suri, Ah finally you turned up!

Sbg, You have worked quite hard to come up with an analogy!

Nooo Sir!

During my PGs i had a "so so" dicussion with a friend (he was doing some course at CIEFL hyd), and midway we hit on "Bass" - How do you prounance 'BASS'?
- i wondered, as is 'ars*' ( i guess 'r' is silent :rolleyes: )... no, no no as in 'ASS'
- he said as in 'ACE'
I argued with him 'bass' depicts 'low frequency' so it should sound like one 'AAAASSssss'
.. anyway i settled for 'ACE' per that discussion as he was in CIEFL!.
but we continued...
again I wondered , what the hell, you can't put it to paper about what you listen. - his reply, we have, for example '!' to depict a suprise and add few words like 'AHHH' or 'Ochhhhhh' to this , you can feel it in your mind what it ment and how it sounded.
Me: Yeah , Yeah so that is how our music directors write it to tell the bass player how it should sound.
His reply - no, they do it by something called music notation, you have to learn music to do so.
Me: you want me to learn music, just to say how the bass is.Your bass is toooo deep man! . Forget it!. I prefer to watch Chinese movies with subtitles, dont tell me to learn chinese just to see the jet li and jackie chan in action.

We had soulfull discussion on Base and Bass for quite some time after that.
The 'analogy' is what i came up with in one of our discussion.

now, I guess, I am learning these by 'Numbers' ,'Economics','Psychology', 'Physiology' ...
and English WORDS squeezed, choked and bleed to mean "WHAT YOU HEAR" :mad:.

My goodness! but i am open to learn - after all its 'bass'

Ps: do we have an ISO standards for this?:rolleyes: I may be missing that!

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back