Why Vinyl rip sound better than CD release?

vbutani

I came across Bombay (1995) album vinyl rip version and already have official CD version.
When I played the vinyl rip FLAC version which is 16bit same as CD, it sounded better than original CD version.
The sound was more lively without loosing any details. I am unable to describe it in technical terms, but I liked it like anything!

I also compared some other vinyl albums with their CD version and most of the times, the vinyl version sounded better to my ears!
What could be the reason Vinyl rip sounds better than original version?

"Sound better" is very subjective area. I have friends who cannot stand even minimum pops n clicks from the play-back music.

It maybe the added distortion of the frictional playback system that makes the vinyl rip sound "different" which many describe as more "warm" or "sweet".

"Sound better" is very subjective area. I have friends who cannot stand even minimum pops n clicks from the play-back music.
Agree with you, it's subjective! The version I tried was without any pop n clicks sound.

It maybe the added distortion of the frictional playback system that makes the vinyl rip sound "different" which many describe as more "warm" or "sweet".
Right, as I dont know any technical details about it was wondering what could be the reason.

Agree with you, it's subjective! The version I tried was without any pop n clicks sound.

Right, as I dont know any technical details about it was wondering what could be the reason.
I came across Bombay (1995) album vinyl rip version and already have official CD version.
When I played the vinyl rip FLAC version which is 16bit same as CD, it sounded better than original CD version.
The sound was more lively without loosing any details. I am unable to describe it in technical terms, but I liked it like anything!

I also compared some other vinyl albums with their CD version and most of the times, the vinyl version sounded better to my ears!
What could be the reason Vinyl rip sounds better than original version?

And which CD version you comparing with?

@vbutani
I totally agree with you. I have same track from Saregama legally purchased uncompessed wav file, audio tape, and original vinyl. In every album i compared i found vinyl to be more rich in sound more detailed one. Even many times i liked the sound some scratchy vinyl better than clean tape or digital version. In comparison vinyl always sounded more rich and detailed.
But i must say if you have reel to reel tape at least 7ips recording than that rpunds even better. If have very few reels of 7ips.

IN the case of Bombay ( specifically), the mastering of the Vinyl is better than that of the CD version which is far more compressed. I am not sure of any older CD pressing though.

The Vinyl rip depends on many factors ie TT/cartridge as well as the ADC used to make the rip hence its very subjective.

How did you compare?
CD was played directly or ripped first to compare so that all chain will remain same?

Have you tried a blind test?

Test 1 - Copy the files to a separate folder. Ask someone to rename the files so that you don't know which is which. Then try playing them one by one to identify which one sounds better.

Test 2 - Now ask someone to play any one of them without telling you which one they're playing. Try to guess if it's CD or Vinyl version.

The original Bombay master is digital. It’s a digital recording and mastering.

Both the CD master and the master for the vinyl are made from the original digital master.

Unfortunately the CD master is tweaked and compressed so that it sounds loud on basic all in one sound systems.

The vinyl master is not compressed.

So what you are hearing is this difference in CD mastering and vinyl mastering even though both have been taken from the original digital master.

Above is true for pretty much most of the Bollywood titles post 90s.

Have you tried a blind test?

Test 1 - Copy the files to a separate folder. Ask someone to rename the files so that you don't know which is which. Then try playing them one by one to identify which one sounds better.

Test 2 - Now ask someone to play any one of them without telling you which one they're playing. Try to guess if it's CD or Vinyl version.
Thanks for this suggestion, I will try this as well on multiple tracks.

The original Bombay master is digital. It’s a digital recording and mastering.

Both the CD master and the master for the vinyl are made from the original digital master.

Unfortunately the CD master is tweaked and compressed so that it sounds loud on basic all in one sound systems.

The vinyl master is not compressed.

So what you are hearing is this difference in CD mastering and vinyl mastering even though both have been taken from the original digital master.

Above is true for pretty much most of the Bollywood titles post 90s.
For my knowledge, when we say CD is compressed, does it mean some details got removed due to some technical limitations similarly like when someone do MP3 rip from audio cd?

The dynamic range of the CD master is compressed so that it plays loud. There is no technical limitation. They do it on purpose. So you can say it has reduced information.

The mp3 files are usually made from this compressed CD. So it’s even worse. The mp3 files by nature are compressed so here it’s a technical limitation

The dynamic range of the CD master is compressed so that it plays loud. There is no technical limitation. They do it on purpose. So you can say it has reduced information.

The mp3 files are usually made from this compressed CD. So it’s even worse. The mp3 files by nature are compressed so here it’s a technical limitation
So would it be possible the person who prepared the vinyl rip did not compress it to get original information as is and may sound better to my ears?

Vinyl rip is normally not compressed. Which is why you probably preferred it.

Having said that, the original Bombay CD when it was released was not compressed. All later issues were compressed.

Vinyl rip is normally not compressed. Which is why you probably preferred it.

Having said that, the original Bombay CD when it was released was not compressed. All later issues were compressed.
Which is the first pressing CD MIL CDF 136?

IIRC, the first press is made in Korea. It will be mentioned on the CD on the inside ring or on the label. The catalog number is CDF 136 for this as well as many later reissues. So you can’t go by only the catalog number.

For my knowledge, when we say CD is compressed, does it mean some details got removed due to some technical limitations similarly like when someone do MP3 rip from audio cd?
it will reduce the highest amplitudes and increase the lowest to a narrower segment than where the music originally was so that it can play in a less resolving/bandwidth system.

eg a whisper may not be heard will be increased in amplitude and a loud percussion sound which may get distorted in a lesser system will be reduced in amplitude.

The logic behind it is that cd has a higher number of consumers and the majority listen to it on a very regular systems/earphones while vibyl setups are usually more resolving..

eg
R.2d9c15e9b0e93aa42bc531eb9d428e70

One Source:

it will reduce the highest amplitudes and increase the lowest to a narrower segment than where the music originally was so that it can play in a less resolving/bandwidth system.

eg a whisper may not be heard will be increased in amplitude and a loud percussion sound which may get distorted in a lesser system will be reduced in amplitude.

The logic behind it is that cd has a higher number of consumers and the majority listen to it on a very regular systems/earphones while vibyl setups are usually more resolving..

eg
R.2d9c15e9b0e93aa42bc531eb9d428e70

One Source:
Thanks for the detailed explanation, the logic you mentioned makes sense but in this case if cd have compressed sound than same would be streamed by lossless streaming sites like apple music, tidal as well.
I am just referring this specific album not other albums. They might not remaster or release uncompressed version via streaming app considering the demand as many people not care for resolving sound.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back