Wich amp for Squeezebox Duet + DacMagic + Energy Take classic 5.1

Pilham

Hi,

I'd like to have good sound for music but I don't know much how to setup my audio system... I currently have the following items at home:
Netgear 2 Ultra plus + Squeezebox Duet + DacMagic + Energy Take classic 5.1 speaker.

1) Which Pre-amp / power amp do you recommend please?
2) Do I need a Receiver instead? Sorry, this may be a dummy question.

Thanks for your help!

One question though. Dacmagic will give a 2 channel analogue out put. How are you planning to use all 5 speakers of Energy take. ( There is a way to use that, but Frankly I would not like to use PLII of Dolby)

You can buy a 2 channel amp to drive just 2 speakers of energy take.

You would need a 5 channel Amplifier to drive all the satellites of Energy take.

Don't need a preamp since Dacmagic will be performing that function.

A receiver will add value and be future proof but will be over qualified for the job if you know what I mean, but 5 channel amps are hard to get by.

I have a EMotiva 899$ 5 channel amp but it will be a overkill for your system.

My suggestion. Buy a Marantz SR5005 that is both Musical , is a receiver and a amp is built in.

If the cost is high look at Denon 1911, it pairs well with Energy take

Plug this way to get sound in all 5 speakers.

Squeezebox Duet > Dacmagic > Analog RCA to Marantz 5005 ( Use PLII mode to have sound in All speakers)

Plug this way to get sound in only 2 speakers.

Squeezebox Duet > Dacmagic > Analog RCA to 2 Channel Amp to 2 speakers only.

One very good option for a 2 channel amp for your setup is Topping TP20 Amp, Search forums there is a long thread on the same and costs 3.7 Thousand Indian Rupees.

My suggestion -> Avoid receiver and invest in good 2/5 channel amp.

You must now be confused but your requirements are such that you are planning to use a 5.1 speaker system for a source that is 2 channel only.

Please clear if you are planning to using all 5 speakers or 2 only.

Thanks for your help!

I'd like to use 5 speakers.

1) Why do you say that you wouldn't use PLII? What is PLII? How can I use Marantz 5005 if DACMagic give 2 analogue channel only?

2) Also, why do you say that EMotiva is overkill? Do you mean too good for DACMagic + 5.1 speaker?

3) Also, I'd like to use the 5 speakers for the TV. This is second priority but is it something that I should consider before buying the amp?

Thanks for your advice :)

Hi,

After reading many posts, i understand that matching my current config all together is not ideal to listen music.

Would it be a good idea to buy a separate amp + bookshelves speakers to complete my audio system (squeeze box + dac magic) and also buy a separate AVR for my TV+DVD player?

Thanks for your help.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back