Wifi Router for a 3 BHK Home

AshD

Hello All,

I am looking for a ADSL wifi router for my 3BHK home.

I checked Linksys, but the products are very expensive. TP Link is a good option but I am unable to decide the model and what features should I be focussing on.

Can you please suggest a WiFi router and a repeater for use. I plan to go for a MTNL TriBand for the internet connectivity

Probable use

1. 2 laptops
2. LED connectivity
3. Streaming Music
4. NAS in the future

Ash

You could check out any of the Netgear models. Netgear models start around Rs 2000, and go up from there. I have a netgear wi-fi modem (wi-fi only, not wi-fi router) and would easily recommend netgear based on my experience. I am using this in a 3 BHK apartment without any problems

Before doing all that make sure that you have a central place to mount your Wifi router. Otherwise you'll experience blackholes in your house where there's no signals despite getting an extremely high-end router.

Linksys is expensive but for a reason as they are worth spending. I have changed like 3-4 routers , in my life and I tend to be the heaviest of the user with my routers not switching off for months. Initially used Linkys WRT54G for like 5 years non stop, then with Wifi n coming in to picture purchased Linksys E2000, and have been using it for the last 2 years 24x7x365. Not even a single issue, ultra easy setup, greate range, looks good and have all the advance features for the Geeks as well

For streaming and browsing I would suggest Belkin N-600. Multi antenna in built and superb access. Its expensive but works.

^^ Dont get me Wrong Belkin was the worst router I have ever tested. Even with a fraction of a fluctuation in the main, its used to reboot ...... for what ever reasons....

You can get the TP Link ADSL modem chum Wi-Fi router for around 1800 bucks. Build quality is not bad and configuration is also quite easy. Got one recently for my father and no problems so far. I had a betel Wi-Fi modem cum router which I would suggest to stay away from. Nowadays using Linksys Wi-Fi router coupled with a beetel modem and is quite OK.

while buying routers buy those that have more transmit power / gain in the same budget and of course with replaceable / upgradeable antenna. Usually I have seen that N300 routers if run in N150 mode yield better range since they are built to support two simultaneous streams of N150 and hence have more power to expend.

There are all kind of speeds mentioned on routers - What would be the minimum/ optimum speed to look for while buying a adsl modem router. to match fast net speed. Wifi modem routers like Belkin N600 etc all quite expensive.

Looking for more of a wifi use at home. Not too much into streaming etc but may get interested at some point. Have a MTNL wi fi modem at present which doesnt cover my home (3 BHK). So was thinking of modem router.. The othe option is wifi extender - but that may not have router functionalities which I could use....

If you are comfortable with flashing custom firmware, I would highly recommend Asus N-16. Attach a USB drive and install dd-wrt with optware and you have a very powerful router with NAS capabilities and with an inbuilt torrent client.

I have been using a Belkin for almost 6 Months, and it is one of the worst routers I have used.
It is an N-300 along with an Airtel Modem, and it has constant fluctuations, and reboots or goes into halt.

OP is looking for a ADSL modem + router. As far as I know most of these combo routers come with Ethernet 100 mbps ports and not Gigabit 1 Gbps ports. So future options of streaming even over wired LAN interface can face serious limitations. So better to buy separate ADSL modem and separate Wifi Router possibly at least a 300N single band router with USB (NAS option as another HFVian mentioned), Gigabit Lan and of course replaceable wifi antenna (for future high gain antenna upgrades).

Have a MTNL wi fi modem at present which doesnt cover my home (3 BHK). So was thinking of modem router.. The othe option is wifi extender - but that may not have router functionalities which I could use....

This is because such routers do not have sufficient transmit power to spread though your walls. Your best bet will be a high power router like I mentioned. Buffalo Nfiniti series is very good.

If you are comfortable with flashing custom firmware, I would highly recommend Asus N-16. Attach a USB drive and install dd-wrt with optware and you have a very powerful router with NAS capabilities and with an inbuilt torrent client.

I do have one for sale...Asus N-16, which i just opened it to test. let me know.

cheers,
Vince

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back