Will 51% FDI in retail sector bring cheers to all classes of society?

I dont know much about ikea, but dont they sell their own stuff, in which case, they could already open a store if they wanted.

Most of ikea stuff is made with particle board (where ever relevant), its not durable. i wouldnt touch that stuff with a ten foot pole, its absolute pits.

doors666 , i can understand the concerns there are things that need not be TEak wood or mahogany one example is wall decor and book racks even pretty good amount of tables and chairs .
2008-3-4ikeaconsole.jpg

The world is changing ..people are dumping age old designs and adopting the lightweight easy to assemble furniture .

Regarding the opening of economy , i can admit there are cons but think of ,

the india where biscuit if you want there was only krackjack/orange cream
shoes only bata , entertainment only 2 cell radio and road travel meant lousy Tempo or horrible TATA buses
Health care means 2 -3month of bed rest after operation ..

Do you want that to continue , i am sure 90% people will not like that . For every corner "uncle ji +1 assistant" shop that is closed there will be 10 men/women will work on the retail store .
Instead of selling 10 items in 30mins , there will be 300 sale in 30 min . ..

Result ? a fast growing economy (bulllet train) as compared to snail paced business (MA MAHNANDA express) .

After all there will be 80% swadeshi maal presented in a world class way .
Retail name and management is borrowed not goods made in ENGLAND !

FDI in retail will have following positive impacts:
1. Help shed the underachiever image of Manmohan Singh to some extent.
2. Pump some money in Indian economy.
Besides above two, all claims are just false and sham. Multinationals are not going to come here for a charity. The can not collect agriculture/ horticulture products from small small farmers scattered in all nooks and corners of the country. They will just like their earlier counterparts, have to depend on Mandis. Their supply chain management model can not work in India the way it works in third world countries.
As far as the consumer is concerned, these companies are not going to offer their ware at prices cheaper than the local retailer. Walmart is already operating in India in the grab of wholesale for quite sometime and the consumer experience is, apart from periodic discount offers, their grocery prices are about 8-10 % higher than small retailers. Prices of fruits, vegetables, hosiery etc are 30-40% higher than market. Garment, kitchenware, electrical goods are just cheap, substandard Chinese material.
That is the reason none of the player in organised retail is able to attract customers adequate to make profit.
Regards

Guys dont go into Indian history. History and figures can be twisted. Get the bigger picture. It is all about money. India's trade deficit has increased. Why is free market flag bearer countries banning outsourcing to India ? Why products in the name of quality control are banned ? Because even small amount of trade(money) matters to them and gives them bargaining power. Megastores have not underestimated the purchasing power of lower middle class aspiring Indians. Nothing wrong in having aspirations but things should be prioritized.
We dont want people stacking Toblerones in shopping cart. First we should be self reliant in everything to survive in the long run.
Regards

Last edited:
Herein this post, I speak for myself.

We, more so my wife, are shoppers at the corner stores as well as the mini/mega marts. We do visit Spar, Tata Star Bazar, Big Bazar, etc., once in a couple of months. But most of the times it is either to the corner shop or the nearby "More". This constitutes 90% of the groceries, vegetables, poultry, fish, etc. And then again, we have a clear distinction of what items we buy where. For instance, we find that it is cheaper to buy oil, bath soap, washing powder, etc. from the mega stores. But other items are purchased at the corner shops. There is hardly any point to drive 5 km to buy a loaf of bread.

I also agree that doors666 has a lot of points. But I have found instances where daal and chaval are better quality and cheaper at the marts than the corner shops. So is the case with vegetables also. I happen to live in a slightly upmarket area in Pune. The local sabzi mandi hawkers sell their stuff at much inflated prices.

The point of opening economy for cars, etc. was just an example. If I remember correctly a lot of noise was made when the gates were thrown open in 1991-2. We have seen the likes of Premier Automobiles disappear and Hindustan Automobiles barely present. Companies like Bajaj Auto improvised to meet the competition. Results are there to see; else we might still be waiting for 15 years for a two wheeler. arnprasad has made a good point of minimum price for farmers. I think that if proper checks and balances are present there should not be too much cause to worry.

Yeah .... you and I are speaking for ourselves. Thats correct!

As I said beforehand, 'haves' shan't even feel it .... its the 'have-nots' who would be taking the brunt. I, personally, hate to see the look of desperation on peoples' faces, that too desperation for the very basics in life. Would find it very difficult to encounter the 'increased' longing eyes on the streets ..... of people unable to suitably make ends meet ...

First, I am always pleased (and surprised, actually!) that Indians really do not harbour bad feeling to us Brits. There are many ex-colonies in the world where the ex-colonisers are hated even several generations after independence. However true it may be that it was not all bad, I am shocked, though, when I find people claiming that the colonial era was good for India, albeit that India as such would not have existed without the British takeover and amalgamation of the princely states.

My history/economics is pretty poor (classes that I used to sleep in :eek:) but I do know that Britain really did a double-whammy on India. First, looting it of everything it could, and second, destroying its remaining local industries such as textiles by imposing the import of its own cheaper products. There is stuff on the internet about India's net worth before and after colonisation, and India's place in world trade before and after. Stuff that I'd really like to be able to quote, but I'm just no good at remembering it.

Foreign capital has become a mantra, and a point that I seldom see raised is, what's wrong with Indian capital? There's surely plenty of it. In fact, Indian capital is buying foreign businesses now. There are Indian supermarkets, chain stores, etc: where is the need for foreign ones?

Last edited:
Guys,

Very very well-put thoughts by everybody. I am far from an expert in these matters. But I have a few very simple-minded issues:

I start with a general intro.

The international multibrand retailers have correctly recognized that the retail market in India is one of the largest currently in the world, and is going to be even larger. That is because the middle class of India by the sheer virtue of the huge total population is one of the largest in the world. Yet, the retail sector, a multi-billion dollar market, is mostly unorganized. There is huge amount of money to be made, and naturally they are interested. Their Governments are all for it. In a recent visit to Kolkata, Hillary Clinton reportedly urged CM of West Bengal not to oppose the FDI in Retail. What is their interest? To make money, that's all.

Now my issues:

1) There is a really huge amount of revenue Indian Govt. misses out in the retail sector. When we buy sweets/soap/mosquito-coils/food-grains or even medicine from the local shops/pharmacy, how many of them give you a receipt? They don't. The Central Govt. and the State Govts. have failed miserably to collect taxes from the huge retail sector in India. I think Govt. has a lot to gain in terms of revenue if the FDI takes place in retail, because they will set up shops at large scale and the Govt will automatically collect the revenue. Govt. can spend the money in infrastructure, and basic amenities like health/education etc. So this is a positive effect.

2) Apparently Govt.has put conditions: these retailers will have to build proper (cold) storages for food grains. If this is monitored, this will also be a good thing, because presently there is a tremendous lack of infrastructure to store food-grains properly, resulting in sizable wastage every year.

3) Govt. has to find ways to protect the farmers so that they get proper price for their products. Currently most farmer suicides take place because the farmers are taken advantage of and they cannot pay back their farming-related loans. If this is done, this will also be a good thing.

4) What will happen to the small retailers doing business at the moment? They will gradually be out of business, I fear - just as they are in the US. But we should remember, the bulk of the work-force in India is in the unorganized sector both in service and retail. Govt. has failed to recognize and organize this huge sector. No tax collections from them, and they also do not get any benefits from the society. It's as if they are not citizens of India. I am worried about this huge group and I do not see a solution if the FDI in retail is allowed.

5) If you travel 100 kms in India (and even in continental Europe, where they have opposed multibrand international retailers and have partially succeeded), you see slightly different social/cultural/food habits. You travel a bit more, you find a lot more diversity, which makes a vibrant culture (same in Europe). Now if you go to the US, you travel several thousand kms, you will find the same Wal-Mart, you will find the similar architecture on buildings, everything very very same. I do not think this is good for any culture and any economy. Firstly, cultural diversity has been India's strength for thousands of years. I think, it more than unites us than divides. Similarly diversity in European culture has made a very rich contribution to mankind in terms of science/culture etc even if it is at the expense of 2 world wars. But, many economists think that unifying the currencies into a single currency was a bad idea, because there are certain theories in economics which says, local fluctuations in assets is extremely beneficial to any economy. With the introduction of the Euro, one has forced the local fluctuations to vanish, and some say this is spell disaster some time in the not-too-distant future. Similarly, if the retail economy in India is allowed to grow in a way so that there is no local elements of the economy, it probably is a bad thing, by my estimates.

Regards.

Here is my take starting with some history:

(1) We should not blame the British for our woes. If you look at the total number of people the British killed in their 350 years of existence vs total number of people killed in riots and clashes post independence - you get the answer.

Horribly mis-educated views - this is a classic example of entire generations of population brainwashed by our secular education system with history re-written by leftist/marxist/secularist propaganda machine. The truth is very very different. You will recall another leftist intellectual who writes trash about Indian civilization - Amrtya Sen. Well at least he writes trash when he steps outside his domain which is economics. But when he talks about governance and economics, we can consider his expert opinion for its worth. In his assessment of famines and their cause he had outlined that famines are created by bad governance and economic mismanagement. Now consider this -

In reality about 30 million perished in the famines of India under British rule . The so called late Victorian holocaust second only to the holocaust of 70 million over the six centuries of Islamic domination of the Indian subcontinent. The great famine of 1877 was the seventeenth famine since the beginning of virtual British colonial rule in the 1750's.This not to say there were no famines before the British came, just that they occurred extremely rarely, perhaps in the order of 1 every 2 centuries

And
One message of Davis' book is the connectedness of things. It is no accident that these famines, probably the most terrible in recorded human history, took place at the end of the railway age, as the new industrial system spread across the world. Free trade and military adventures combined to bring the people of Africa and Asia to the brink of famine; between 1850 and 1900 the per capita income of the average Indian fell by 50 percent.

Famine

A review of the book with a more global perspective here: Review: Late Victorian Holocausts by Mike Davis | Books | The Guardian

If you think Hitler was bad, Churchill and his predecessors were no less. You have to read some of the racist comments some of their great leaders have made to know the truth.

They being outsiders and occupiers had some reason to kills us - what reason do we have to kill ourselves?

Nothing can excuse the responsibility of a person here and NOW as he decides to kill. But do you know that many ideologies that result in intellectual/mental justification for mass movements and mobs that are violent are seeded in the western universities of high repute? I bet you never imagined that the Hutu/Tutsi genocide - one of the worst in history was the culmination of a political/social theorizing that was propagated down from think tanks that do academic theorizing and construct a flawed sociology of other cultures that influence foreign policy of their governments at the highest level?

Although the Western media portrayed the 1994 genocide as a product of "centuries old" intractable divisions between Hutu and Tutsi "tribes," in fact genocide in Rwanda was never inevitable. Genocide was the final product of a strategy used by close supporters of President Habyarimana to preserve their power by appealing to ethnic arguments.
...<snip>... The genocide ultimately had much more to do with the contemporary political concerns of an authoritarian regime under attack than with "ancient tribal hatreds," and as such it could have been averted.

See: Rwanda&Genocide.html
or
and Genocide in Rwanda (African Studies): Timothy Longman: 9780521191395: Amazon.com: Books

And do you know like the Rwandan problem, that the definition, theorizing and political posturing of the violent Naxal problem was born in an American university? Going by history of social conflicts that have turned violent worldwide, it is quiet possible that the fundamentally flawed Dravidian movement or the Dalit movement that appears to be a fight for human rights has the potential to transform itself into a violent movement that will divide India 100 or 200 years down the line? These mass movements attain political impetus because they are actively seeded by western universities and think tanks with an agenda decided and driven by the sponsors of academic funding that influence foreign policy of their Governments. It is not stupidity that leads American government to side with Pakistan despite all its nefarious deeds, it is the systematic mis-education of senators and top policy makers about Indian civilization its people and values as dangerous for a modern world that drives those decisions. And this mis-education begins in American schools.
(2) Please remember before the British, there was no such called INDIA - we had 1-2 big kingdoms and plenty of small ones organized by regions and languages - hence we need to be grateful to them to have created our country. And yeah - we may have lost pakistan and bangladesh - what about arunachal, andaman, lakshwadeep and few NE states? these were never part of India.

Utter Rubbish!! What creates a nation is not just a political+military union with a social compulsion to display allegiance in the form of patriotism. Imagine with a more gentler non-coercive subtle and refined approach with a perspective that it is the cultural links and a common set of core values that define a deeper unity and this has certainly existed for more than a thousand years. What you are parroting is the propaganda line used by India baiters and brown sepoys who are still controlled intellectually by their foreign masters.

Instead of admiring Indian civilization because it did not homogenize everybody on language, food, customs and philosophy in a totalitarian fashion, the pervert only sees in it the evidence of opposition and disharmony. Instead of an intellectually aesthetic appreciation of the common threads that have bound Indic people over centuries and millennia, the self-loathing modern Indian wallows in the sewage of western world views with their artificial constructs and flawed social theorizing about India driven by their political agendas. Tsk! Tsk!

And anybody who speaks for a common Indic civilization is dismissed as fanciful and jingoistic :eek:hyeah: While the reality is that the world view and history commonly portrayed and popular is actually a lot of chest thumping and triumphalism accompanied by a subtle form of racism and a European brand of jingoism disguised as sophisticated academic discourse. There is a copious amount of leftist literature on google churned out by these factories that have a problem with India's claim to existence. Wonder why they don't have a problem with the nationalism of any of the modern European countries that were born in the last 50 years out of Czechoslovakia and elsewhere? Why only India and its notion about its past is a problem with so much invested in academic studies and publications to refute the notion? :eek:hyeah: Peoples of other nations can have sentiments about their past and a grand narrative of their history but when Indians do, they are fools that need to be corrected and re-educated :rolleyes:

Incidentally since 1705, all the mogul emperors of India were installed by the Marathas as a titular head because it was politically expedient to do so. After the battle of Malwa the Moguls were a spent force. And the Marathas had vast swathes of what is modern India under their suzerainty which perhaps eventually could have been the birth of a new Indian nation united under a single political leadership had history not changed its course - given that there were undercurrents of nationalism in subsections of the Marathas. When you read (wide-eyed) about the history of the movement of and birth of European nationalism, also remember with the same regard and respect the nationalism that motivated Shivaji and a section of the Marathas and countless other movements from centuries before without the denigration accompanied by all its surrounding excuses. Like for example "Indian nationalism does not deserve any quarter or toehold because ... <look at the filth here> ... <and there> ..." Don't be a mindless parrot ;)

(3) And most importantly please remember prior to British we were ruled by descendants of barbaric mongolians - Timur and party anyone? compare the number of people converted to Christianity in their 350 years vs number of people converted to other religions since 11th century? And imagine the demographics of India if these rulers were to continue for another 200 years?

It didn't happen in 1000 years since 800AD, why would it in the last 200 years if the Brits weren't around? That too when the Moguls had more or less lost their hold on India with the Marathas beginning to dominate?

(4) British were occupiers and also one of their primary reasons for being here was trade and commerce and they at least helped India grow in all areas - we got railways much before other countries. I haven't done any research but am sure we got telecommunications and other modern inventions earlier that other countries
Sigh!! Absurd view based on sheer ignorance. This I attribute to the success of modern secular Macaulayite education in India. For Britan to re-invent itself as a benevolent colonial power out to civilize and uplift the natives. And for the loyal Indian subject to believe that his flavor of civilization and he himself was doomed until the Superior white flavor of civilization came along and salvaged his pride and human rights (and standards of living?).

India was an economic superpower next only to China for more than a 1000 years with more than 25% of world GDP. And together with China it was world domination of global trade with 60% lasting almost 1500 years. And this domination was not the result of idle life contemplating other worldliness and spirituality. It came with a strong material culture and excellence in manufacturing technologies. The whole of Europe put together was a piddle 25% until then. Why are there so many accounts of fabulous wealth and treasures of the east? Why were they desperate to reach India? To break into the global trade routes of course. And the gold you hear about in this poor little rich country all came from Rome Greece and Europe in exchange for the goods it manufactured that were superior to anything similar Europe manufactured. Just like you crave for "phoren" goods today, the world craved for Indian and Chinese goods for a 1000+ years. And then guess what happened? Between 1700 and 1800, less than a century in fact - India's GDP fell from 25% to 7%!! You heard of the great depression and saw many romanticized hollywood versions with suicides and families with little children destroyed. Perhaps you even remember the mini crisis that the dotcom bust created. Imagine how Indian social fabric would have been destroyed when its 1000 year run with 25% GDP crashed? Britain did not help India grow - it destroyed India's manufacturing capabilities very systematically and transplanted the two main industries of excellence - Textiles and Steel to its own shores. Yes the two sunrise industries of the Industrial revolution in Britain were Textiles and Steel that were India's pride for centuries before. And talking about standards of living the Indian laborer enjoyed more economic security than his European counterpart in the 17th century. And the per hectare cultivation of rice paddy was 5 times that of modern Japan. And education was free of caste prejudices if you look at the statistics of shudras going to school. There were more nursing colleges in Madras than in London and India has exported its doctors and nurses for centuries not just in the last few decades!! :D

Get used to the idea that there has been a cross pollination and ferment of ideas and technological innovations across worlds - largely from east to west for centuries before and now vice versa. Science and technology was not born in the west. There is no western science, Only one universal science. And the east excelled over the west for a really long period before the 18th century while Europe struggled and bowed under the might of of a powerful but narrow minded Church. Remember something like what happened to Galileo never happened to any Indian due to a similar conflict between state or dominant ideology and its peoples, even though the heliocentric model was proposed centuries before in India.

(5) They at least tried to get rid of many unwanted customs in our great country and promoted equality.
Again you are parroting. What makes you think Indians are inferior when it comes to humane values? Show me a superior track record for the west that goes back not just 20 years but 500 or 1000 years.

It is common to flog India and blame its original civilizational values for all the sh*t (even when the bad things are not due to its intrinsic values) , then justify why Indians need to be saved from their own cultural moorings to be re-humanized as a more civilized people (The civilizing mission? Salvation or be damned! :D).

For example do you know that some of these unwanted customs were actually practiced by communities that lost their dharmic roots? Like for example jauhar which was originally an act of valor to save a womans dignity from becoming a whore in a harem during defeat in battle? It became a social epidemic in the form of Sati in the new Anglo-Indian community around the time of Raja Rammohan Roy which he tried to eradicate. And I suppose you want to blame Indian civilization for the despicable Bhangi caste where people carry sh*tloads of excrement on their hands ? They were originally POWs - fighting soldiers of vanquished armies that were made to clean the toilets of the large harems of Islamic forces, as women were not allowed to be seen outside in public forget going to an outdoor laterine.

Feeling a sense of triumph or modernity while you so casually denigrate Indian civilization, its past and its core values is not going to make you a broad minded progressive or more humane. Stepping out of the box and reading alternative perspectives just might, if you learn to find to find the right sources. You need to start educating yourself for how much India has contributed to world civilizations and start respecting its value my friend.
Shouting from the rooftops about its dark deeds is not going to solve the problems of the world. :) Thats just mud slinging and stone throwing as a mental exercise. Not a sign of being well educated.

--G

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just listing out some things I read somewhere:

a) When foreign banks set shop in India, they did not bring in any Capital, all they spent was only the cost of setting up their offices in India to the tune of Rs.3k - 4k crores, but instead were rewarded ,with access to a capital of Rs.30000 crores of Indian savings and deposits which they cheerfully mopped up.

b) MNC shops may acquire our local farms, and force our very farmers to cultivate vegetables and greens which may fetch them a fancy price in Europe, but not liked by Indians. So GM crops may be introduced in the back door, which will have a irreversible effect on our agriculture.

I dont think they will sell at a lesser price than what it sells today as a single branded retail.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Its absolutely shameful the way we treat our farmers. If this FDI thing gives them a better deal, then it may not be a bad thing after all.
But I know it is more complicated than that.
As for colonialism , there is a school of thought which says that colonialism was a means by which capitalistic powers reorganised the administrative machinery to make the atmosphere more conducive for business. Of course it meant education, courts etc. But the underlying motive was always profit. But it wasn't as such a racial trip. In that sense they even say it was capitalism that was responsible for the dismantling of apartheid because segregation after all was bad for profits.
Finally a Booker T Washington quote:
"No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem."
the problem is we as a nation ( i guess i mean the middle class) don't seem to find much dignity in writing a poem either.

Last edited:
There was a mention of 'haves' and 'have nots' in avid's post. In capitalist system where intentions are to gain maximum profits vulnerable people at the lower bottom of the class are always exploited. So point is Interest of Indian people will be the least concern of giant megastores or politicians.
Read this. How Did Wal-Mart Crack Open China? - Forbes
^ How do you suppose 24 million bribe will be recovered. From other people. There is no urgency to open shops in India. As we say in Gujju "Bandhi mutthi lakh ni" Let multinational megastores open shops in 2 or 3 states (not half of India) remove ban on Indian products and outsourcing and lets see.
Anyway internal fighting and probable war with neighbours will get to us first than other things I think. Incidentally civilised developed nations are biggest supplier of weapons so either way they win. It is in the interest of developed world that third world remains in the state of conflict and attempt to progress at same time.

@ Thad - Indian Capital* is in Swiss Bank. And they are rolling our money in the market. Clever people they are. Our politicians are fools to say they will bring that money back. This is black(stolen) money and it is gone for good. Small part of it may be used by politicians/industrialist to invest and manipulate things in India.
* By Indian capital I mean hard earned, tax revenue money that was supposed to be used for Indian people and was looted by Indian politicians.
Regards

Last edited:
When coca Cola & Pepsi entered it killed all local bottled drinks business. Now in many villages localy manufactured drinks reappeared, this time they are using coke & pepsi bottles. Sales of coke & Pepsi reduced or almost nil.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

For example do you know that some of these unwanted customs were actually practiced by communities that lost their dharmic roots? Like for example jauhar which was originally an act of valor to save a womans dignity from becoming a whore in a harem during defeat in battle? It became a social epidemic in the form of Sati in the new Anglo-Indian community around the time of Raja Rammohan Roy which he tried to eradicate. And I suppose you want to blame Indian civilization for the despicable Bhangi caste where people carry sh*tloads of excrement on their hands ? They were originally POWs - fighting soldiers of vanquished armies that were made to clean the toilets of the large harems of Islamic forces, as women were not allowed to be seen outside in public forget going to an outdoor laterine.

Allow me to disagree with you. Also take it from me that I just happen to be born in Hindu religion I dont discriminate people by any means. But very broadly speaking good section of Indian people are still uneducated (education in real means) superstitious and have blind faith in various forms.
Lower caste Hindu Dalits rolling over eaten food plates of Brahmans - YouTube
Bygones are bygones never to be returned. Only present and future matters.
Regards

When coca Cola & Pepsi entered it killed all local bottled drinks business. Now in many villages localy manufactured drinks reappeared, this time they are using coke & pepsi bottles. Sales of coke & Pepsi reduced or almost nil.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Hi svkndv,

There is a move by this very MNCs to re-introduce the same vanished Indian drinks in new avatar.

N.Murali

Allow me to disagree with you. Also take it from me that I just happen to be born in Hindu religion I dont discriminate people by any means. But very broadly speaking good section of Indian people are still uneducated (education in real means) superstitious and have blind faith in various forms.
Bygones are bygones never to be returned. Only present and future matters.
Regards

Hiten
You are missing the point. This is not about whitewashing every black spot in India's past. This is about the torrent of literature that insists that India is only or mostly about retrograde practices. It affects public consciousness and how people feel value and think about India. Its not a problem that some atrocities are documented, but the sheer volume of similar material regurgitated in countless ways by a cartel of scholar pretenders at the exclusion of discussing any of the the positive aspects that have helped shape India and its influence in the rest of the world.

--G0bble

I beleive it all boils down to a single 9 letter word.

I-N-F-L-A-T-I-O-N

I have read and forgotten the commonly spouted definitions of this phenomenon which more or less controls the life which human beings lead on this planet. I am not an economist or an expert. I merely view inflation as the genie which is let lose from the bottle, when nations resort to Quantitative Easing (printing paper money). Nations print money when they have no other means of financing their spending. More and more crumbling economies are resorting to quantitative easing. This flood of freshly printed paper washes through every economy - raising the prices of stocks, commodities, real estate, roti, kapda, petrol, makaan and everything else. Those who are invested in assets like stocks, commodities, real estate and gold may be able to ride the storm. Those who merely depend on their salary, daily wages , fixed deposits or pensions will have to once again lower their standard of living. Rising prices of stocks, property, vegetables, meats, dairy, poultry, rice, grain may signify prosperity under certain conditions. But it is more likely that they merely signify the declining value of the paper we keep chasing all our lives.

Yes, no or maybe.

Yes: It will bring in the much needed foreign investment (but a pan-india retail chain to work effectively will need loads of money) in this economic slowdown - will companies take a risk

No: big retails chains opened by many indian companies - couldnt do away with the 'middlemen' and hence did not do well

maybe: maybe the cos like 'walmart' have the expertise that companies like 'reliance' did not have.

also remember nyc has still not allowed walmart - fearing that it will affect their workers. w also have read stories of emplyees exploitation in some cases in US.

whatevr it is - if they retail chains have to succeed they will have to make a huge huge effort. it will depend on how much patience these companies have (think GE - they initially did not have the it - now almost relaunching themselves) and how much of resources are they going to put at stake. it is an almost static giant wheel - for it to roll - they will have to put a lot of grease at lot of places. and by grease i didnt mean 'money' i meant human resource and concerted effort. do these companies have the gumption - we will have to see.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back