Will stepdowns comsume electricity in idle?

hifitoaster

I normally won't turn off or unplug my electronics until there is some thunderstorm. Generally every stays on standby. But noticed that there is a hum from my step down transformer for the sub. The sub turns on when the signal comes in. Is the step down wasting electricity all the time it hums?

Yes, there will be core loos depending on transformer type and how the load is configured.

Thanks for this topic, even I had same doubt, say only my step down transformer(2000w) is on, but none of the devices connected to it is switched on ( I have extender from step down). so will step down transformer consume 2000w power?

Thanks for this topic, even I had same doubt, say only my step down transformer(2000w) is on, but none of the devices connected to it is switched on ( I have extender from step down). so will step down transformer consume 2000w power?

The amount of power consumed would depend on the efficiency of the step down.

A highly efficient one would see a consumption of minimum 2% to 5% of the rated power (due to various losses) if the step down is on but the connected devices are switched off.

If the connected devices are on standby, the step down would be supplying power to the device @ declared standby power consumption.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back