Will the Drivers damage after falling down?

jmascreen

Hi,

The front baffle along with drivers mounted (Three way with Peerless drivers) was kept slanting on walls, but due to carelessness its fallen down.

Now I feel the mid and highs are bit on lower side compared with the other one.

What are the possibilities for a damage drivers? Is there a way to check the drivers for damages apart listing?

Big fall can alter the centering of the drivers cones to the magnets and in some cases, the metal spider cage can get distorted and damage beyond repair. Check free cone movement with hand and see if the voice call is touching any side walls during movement. If it is struck or you feel it is touching the walls/magnet, you need to explore further to assess the damage.

Cheers

I've come across a Mordaunt Short that was severely dropped. The magnet on one bass driver got dislodged and jammed the voice coil . Somebody opened it and got it fixed. I haven't heard it after that , so no idea if it is OK. I guess it is otherwise I would have been told.
Place the two units side by side and switch them to see if they sound different. Room acoustics can play tricks sometimes. Use the same channel of audio ( either left or right ).

Just have a keen check on the Frames and see whether any scraches found on the frames.Also try to move the Cone and test whether its getting touched or its free flowing.

If the Cone moves freely, then No Problem to the Speaker you could user it. In case you find its rubbing to the walls of Magnet (Inner side).Then No way, Just replace the Voice Coil,But its not easy to replace the Voice coil without damaging the Cone and Spider.

Just do a cone replacement for both speakers, that the best way, In case you feel the cones are moving without rubbing.

Let me check for that. If I get it repaired or replaced do i need to change both the drivers or one will be enough?

Even if the physical condition appears OK... older materials such as magnetic steels and alnico materials are susceptible to being demagnetized (loss of magnetic flux density), if enough energy is transmitted through the material via a shock, such as being dropped or hit with a hammer.

I was trying to get a DIY enclosure airtight after the drivers were mounted... couple of hammer blows on the baffle demagnetized the woofer:eek:

Last edited:
there are no physical symptoms of any damages. The difference in sound is highly visible on very low volume, only the other side is heard.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back