Windows 2012 R2 - Audiophile PC

I think that guy - "AudioPhil" has made available stripped down versions of the Optimizer. I've seen them available for download somewhere.

Yes I tried this earlier in my Win7 PC but I felt like it slowed that PC a lot and I used to get occasional hang ups on Foobar because of overloading of my Intel Atom processor based PC and hence dumped it. But this guy actually suggests people to use Fidelizer + Audiophile Optimizer or Process Lasso + Audiophile Optimizer on a Win 2012 OS. I am using Process Lasso which is good and does not create any problem but not sure whether it has any effect on the overall sound improvement.

I think that guy - "AudioPhil" has made available stripped down versions of the Optimizer. I've seen them available for download somewhere.

Yes I think his PDF manual which is available for free on setting up the 2012R2 with some BIOS tweaks and also JPlay and JRiver settings is sufficient to start off. I think earlier he was providing a 14 day trail version of the AO script but not sure why he has stopped as I wanted to really see if it improves the sound quality.

Yes I think his PDF manual which is available for free on setting up the 2012R2 with some BIOS tweaks and also JPlay and JRiver settings is sufficient to start off. I think earlier he was providing a 14 day trail version of the AO script but not sure why he has stopped as I wanted to really see if it improves the sound quality.
No, I wasn't referring to the pdf. In some forum that he frequents, he had uploaded scripts - let me try locating them over the weekend.

Can somebody point me to a source of getting a dual headed USB cable (power and data separated) for my DAC in India.

Can somebody point me to a source of getting a dual headed USB cable (power and data separated) for my DAC in India.

did not look online. IIRC the last set of 1tb external disks (seagate) (ordered by office) were boxed with a dual headed cable. You might even have a cable lying around :) [the most recent usb3 Adata 1tb i purchased did not though]

ciao
gr

did not look online. IIRC the last set of 1tb external disks (seagate) (ordered by office) were boxed with a dual headed cable. You might even have a cable lying around :) [the most recent usb3 Adata 1tb i purchased did not though]

ciao
gr

I require dual headed USB A to B cable for my DAC but I think the external HDD cables are different with the flat pin at one end.

Tried it with barebone editions of Windows 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 preview (most processes disabled) and could not make out any difference.

However as Manniraj mentioned there was a huge difference in SQ in comparison to the full fledged editions of the above operating systems.

I am using a hotchpotch setup of a dedicated music laptop with ASUS U7 USB soundcard /JRiver with parametric EQ to run the speakers active and with a 6-channel DNM power amplifier.

Yet to try other automatic optimization tools like fidelizer

Here is a linux version, will give it a try this weekend if time permits AudioPhile Linux | Quality audio on Linux

I also took the plunge and completed the installation of WS 2012 R2 today:)

Installing the OS was a breeze, but things stuttered when I tried to install the driver for my WiFi dongle. The Device Manager continued to show it as having incorrect driver. A quick Google led me to the solution - Win Server doesn't support WiFi by default. It has to be manually enabled. That done, the Device Manager showed that the USB WiFi adapter is now working fine BUT on trying to connect to the WiFi router the PC just couldn't discover its own wireless adapter. I allowed it to go on searching while I did some other chores. As it didn't succeed, I shut it down in frustration. By this time, I was able to play music using foobar. The WiFi was needed to remotely control the foobar from an Android device.

I came back late in the evening after an enjoyable music session at fellow forumer magma's office studio, and thought of trying to set up the wireless connection again. Mysteriously enough, when i booted up the PC it now prompted me to connect to an available network;) On typing the router password it was promptly connected! A pleasant surprise.

After this I faced another roadblock with foobar2000 Controller application. After installing the PC side components, it steadfastly refused to talk to my tablet. After some struggle, it is finally working:thumbsup:

Fortunately, installing the sound card driver was a breeze. No issues at all though I was apprehensive. All computer peripherals were also automatically installed without a hitch. My motherboard is quite old, so if someone wants to upgrade their beat up PC to WS 2012, it is more likely than not it will be well supported.

Sound: will report on this after I've put in some hours of listening, but first impressions are already good. Right now I'm playing Takeshi Inomata's Fools Rush In;)

Optimisations are also to be done. None done at this point.

I still dont understand why one would need such a huge full blown windows PC that too a server for just serving Music. I mean surely the quality of music would not depend on OS only. What stops you music lovers to consider a Rasp Pi and an MPD based music player like Volumio or Moode connected to a quality DAC.???? I cant understand.

It much easy to set up.
Its ultra small n Portable
Its power foot prints are negligible (2-5W)
Can be remote controlled from anywhere any device
Costs less
but most of all, the music quality is top notch when complimented with a decent DAC

Beats me .. :confused:

Last edited:
I also took the plunge and completed the installation of WS 2012 R2 today:)

Installing the OS was a breeze, but things stuttered when I tried to install the driver for my WiFi dongle. The Device Manager continued to show it as having incorrect driver. A quick Google led me to the solution - Win Server doesn't support WiFi by default. It has to be manually enabled. That done, the Device Manager showed that the USB WiFi adapter is now working fine BUT on trying to connect to the WiFi router the PC just couldn't discover its own wireless adapter. I allowed it to go on searching while I did some other chores. As it didn't succeed, I shut it down in frustration. By this time, I was able to play music using foobar. The WiFi was needed to remotely control the foobar from an Android device.

I came back late in the evening after an enjoyable music session at fellow forumer magma's office studio, and thought of trying to set up the wireless connection again. Mysteriously enough, when i booted up the PC it now prompted me to connect to an available network;) On typing the router password it was promptly connected! A pleasant surprise.

After this I faced another roadblock with foobar2000 Controller application. After installing the PC side components, it steadfastly refused to talk to my tablet. After some struggle, it is finally working:thumbsup:

Fortunately, installing the sound card driver was a breeze. No issues at all though I was apprehensive. All computer peripherals were also automatically installed without a hitch. My motherboard is quite old, so if someone wants to upgrade their beat up PC to WS 2012, it is more likely than not it will be well supported.

Sound: will report on this after I've put in some hours of listening, but first impressions are already good. Right now I'm playing Takeshi Inomata's Fools Rush In;)

Optimisations are also to be done. None done at this point.

Yes the Win2012 is not meant for this kind of usage especially audio related, hence the drivers for the same are not compatible with much of the hardware. I am finding it difficult to get my DAC recognised directly over the USB port. It can only get detected via a powered/unpowered USB hub. I have left it as such but in Win7 it was getting detected easily. Also DACs with special Windows drivers are difficult to load on this OS because of incompatibility or the drivers are released only for Win7/8 and we need to try both of these drivers and see which one is compatible with 2012.

Yes, that's a good idea. And convenient too. Also, audio over USB has improved over the last few years to a point where it is now a credible alternative to digital coax or optical or AES/EBU connections. Unfortunately I have a studio-grade pro sound card with all interfaces except USB. Fortunately or fortunately, my DAC has exactly the same connectivities:) I mean I don't have USB DAC unless I buy a new DAC. Since the music PC is source number 4 (of 4), and stands at Priority 4 and also stands fourth in terms of actual usage, I am not keen to invest in a DAC at this time. All the same thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I still dont understand why one would need such a huge full blown windows PC that too a server for just serving Music. I mean surely the quality of music would not depend on OS only.

It does. Win Server 2012 R2 in core mode is considered the cutting edge.
Latest reports are that Win 10 is pretty good too. Not as good as WS2012R2 but offers a lot more convenience out of the box in comparison.

Dude I have been using Windows 2008 R2 server for years now. Its my bread n butter, if you know what I mean. But it has nothing that justifies or makes it excel as a Music PC. You anyhow have to have a decent sound card or a DAC. In that perspective a windows machine (any variant) isnt a viable option. On the other hand a Rap Pi has just enough juice to run a Linux OS that can be (and has been) tuned to serve music perfectly, and that is what these MPD clients like Volumio and Moode does. All you need to do is couple it with a decent DAC (which as I said you any how do with a windows machine as well)

Last edited:
You can read the reviews online. Please do the research.

This is not about getting audio to work.
Plain WinXP on a Pentium with Kernel Streaming gives you excellent audio.
This is the bleeding edge "state of the art" in computer audio.

Is it worth shooting for in more humble systems? Why not?
WS2012R2 is available from Microsoft free of charge for demo.

Munich 2015 - Sound Galleries Room with a Windows 10 Machine

Room1.jpg

52115lampi3.jpg

This is a discussion on the setup before the show:
Munich High End 2015 Blog and comments

This is the Audiostream report after the show (among others)
Lampizator, HQ Player, Audiopax, Avante Garde: Digital Done Right. | AudioStream

If the OS has not made a difference in your setup. So be it.
No need to do any further work.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back