Windows 7

venkatcr

For those of us who are interested in using the PC as a media center, Microsoft's new Windows 7 seems to have some promise. Extremetech has a detailed feature list of the various version of Windows 7. But thay have this to say about the multimedia capabilities of the new OS.

First, with the exception of Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic, all Windows 7 machines will play DVDs, period: no extra software, no additional downloads. Microsoft hasn't officially said anything about Blu-ray support in Windows 7, however.

Second, Microsoft has added support for a number of media codecs, including WMV, WMA, and MPEG-4 files, plus the AAC, and AVC/H.264 codecs.

That only means unprotected iTunes music tracks can be played back (without installing iTunes, of course), plus audio and video podcasts, FlipVideo-captured video, and most Divx and Xvid files. Windows 7 will also play AVCHD video from popular high-definition digital camcorders, according to Microsoft.

Specifically, all Windows 7 client SKUs will now play back MPEG-4 ASP and H.264 video, and AAC-LC and HE-AAC (v1 and v2) audio, which are all new to Windows with Windows 7.

Microsoft has also added support for MPEG-2 Video and Dolby Digital Plusbut not in Windows Home Basic. That's another difference between the two.
UNQUOTE

Read the full details at All Windows 7 Versions--What You Need to Know - OS, Software & Networking by ExtremeTech

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

I'm using Windows 7 as Beta tester since it's launch. Windows Media player in this version is really very cool. It support many type of media files without any error . But there is no support for .VOB files because Microsoft takes .vob file as pirated movies.

Overall Windows 7 is far better and easy from Vista. I'm still sending my feedback to Microsoft:D

Enjoy!
Sid

Well ,I have the beta version downloaded at home, need to get it setup and installed.

Sid how much hard drive space does windows 7 occupy after complete installation and updates.

Well ,I have the beta version downloaded at home, need to get it setup and installed.

Sid how much hard drive space does windows 7 occupy after complete installation and updates.

Dushie,

It takes around 10 GB. You need 2 GB RAM to run it smoothly.

Thanks,
Siddhartha

Hi Venkat,

I'm using Windows 7 as Beta tester since it's launch. Windows Media player in this version is really very cool. It support many type of media files without any error . But there is no support for .VOB files because Microsoft takes .vob file as pirated movies.

Overall Windows 7 is far better and easy from Vista. I'm still sending my feedback to Microsoft:D

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi Sid,

Is win7 better than or equal to XP?

Hi Sid,

Is win7 better than or equal to XP?

Spirovious,

Win XP is still best OS developed by Microsoft, but as technologies change and PC hardware is becoming very cheap these days, Windows 7 is next best OS by Microsoft guys.

Each feature of XP was enhanced in Vista, which is now more user friendly in Windows 7. Hassle free installation and day-to-day operations, recognizing 99% devices attached to it, Visually stunning GUI, and so on. Windows 7 can install devices using XP drivers so no need to find drivers compatible with as it was with Vista.

Still exploring its feature and sending feedbacks, but I can say Windows7 will make users to move on it.

And if you have supporting HW(2.0 GHZ or more CPU, 2 GB RAM, 128/256 VRAM, 80 GB/above HDD and running Windows XP) Then its better to install Windows 7.

Thanks,
Sid

I am also testing Win 7 beta ever since it is released.

As far as the codecs in win 7 are concerned, they seem to be much more efficient than the third party codec packs like ffdshow. On my acer aspire one netbook, it was almost impossible to play a H264 movie encoded at 720p with ffdshow when used in Vista. It used to play at 1 to 2 fps!

With win 7, all 720p H264 files play smoothly. The enhanced media center also looks and plays nicely. An ideal operating system to build a media center with cheap hardware.

Sid:

I have a question:

1. Some time ago I took a look at Vista and decided to stick to XP. I have had no issue with XP, and it seems to update itself regularly for security.

Sometime ago I purchased the highest of Asus mother boards that can handle dual core processors. But as part of setting up an advanced HTPC/media center, I have also been toying whether to stick to MS OS or switch to Mac OS.

Do you think Windows 7 will make that decision easier? If I install Windows 7 on my new MOBO/Core2Duo processor with 4 GB RAM, will it run without issues? I can of course, stick to XP as most of my use for the media center will be to rip CDs into FLAC and store and play them from the PC. I am not yet convinced of the compressed formats of movies, and will not be touching them for some time.

Cheers

Sid:

I have a question:

1. Some time ago I took a look at Vista and decided to stick to XP. I have had no issue with XP, and it seems to update itself regularly for security.

Sometime ago I purchased the highest of Asus mother boards that can handle dual core processors. But as part of setting up an advanced HTPC/media center, I have also been toying whether to stick to MS OS or switch to Mac OS.

Do you think Windows 7 will make that decision easier? If I install Windows 7 on my new MOBO/Core2Duo processor with 4 GB RAM, will it run without issues? I can of course, stick to XP as most of my use for the media center will be to rip CDs into FLAC and store and play them from the PC. I am not yet convinced of the compressed formats of movies, and will not be touching them for some time.

Cheers

Venkat,

Windows 7 will be better choice for HTPC/Media Center over XP. At hardware level I've not faced any issue till now, my wireless mouse/KBD, LG-Blue-Ray drive was detected and installed during the setup process. All USB HDD & disks were accessible without loading any particular driver. HW setup is very easy and smooth.

On software front still no good AV is available for Windows 7, I'm using Kaspersky specially launched for it. Right now CPU/Memory usage is less then 10% (on my pc) much but cannot comment how will be performance after loading it with Mcafee,Norton or Trend-micro AV suites.

I've not played any Blue-ray movie so cant say about the performance on that but will do that soon.

In this beta version Media center is also available as separate application besides Windows media player . I guess it will be available in Business/ultimate versions after launch.

Mac OS is also good (surrounded by MAC systems in my office:cool:), but hardware is not that cheap and cost of upgrade can be higher than Intel HW.

Windows7 beta version is promising but we have to wait to see what will be provided in final product.

Enjoy!
Sid,

Thanks Sid. I have downloaded a copy of Windows 7. I guess I will install it on my new Mobo, and use it as a exclusive Media center and see what happens. I will keep a copy of all my music files so that, even if Windows 7 crashes, I don't lose anything.

Another question. I believe Internet connection is needed 24/7 for Windows 7. Is this true? Is it only for the Beat version. or will it be even for the launched. Not much of n issue as I do have Internet 24/7.

Cheers

Thanks Sid. I have downloaded a copy of Windows 7. I guess I will install it on my new Mobo, and use it as a exclusive Media center and see what happens. I will keep a copy of all my music files so that, even if Windows 7 crashes, I don't lose anything.

Another question. I believe Internet connection is needed 24/7 for Windows 7. Is this true? Is it only for the Beat version. or will it be even for the launched. Not much of n issue as I do have Internet 24/7.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

I have used it mostly offline. I dont see that Internet Connection is required to be on. Ya you will need it when sending feedbacks:)

It will be best if you can install it on separate HDD or partition as its still Beta version, it will keep your original OS and Software untouched and you can revert anytime.

Spirovious - Personally I dont trust KasperSky/AVG/Quickheal AV, that much. McAfee /Norton/Trendmicro are good in AV field and I'm using McAfee at home.

Enjoy,
Sid

Insalled Windows 7 on a demo pc at work, i t took up 13 gb space, also installed NAV for Vista and it is working fine with windows 7.

Didn't get much time to play with it, i plan to install it at home shortly

If possible try installing it in your external HDD. m sure it should work from there make sure your BIOS supports booting from USB devices I dont think there would be any issues other than tht.

Insalled Windows 7 on a demo pc at work, i t took up 13 gb space, also installed NAV for Vista and it is working fine with windows 7.

Didn't get much time to play with it, i plan to install it at home shortly

Dushie, before you test it for general applications, please do test it for the storage and delivery of movies and music. I am particularly interested in finding out if it can play FLAC files easily. If possible, also install a copy of EAC and see how it works.

Cheers

Man, you guys have guts to try a beta version of MS OS. I, personally dont goto any MS OS and service packs till atleast its been in the market for quite some time and had time to stabilize. MS is notorious in releasing bugggy initial versions of softwares and waiting the customers to do the testing for them:mad:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back