Windows 8 Audiophile settings

manniraj

Did anyone come across this site where the author has given some windows script for making a Windows 8 machine audiophile. I was using a fanless Win 7 dedicated PC with ODAC and I tried this setting and upgraded the OS to Win 8 Pro 32bit (as my PC supports only 32bit and not 64bit - a flaw in the Foxconn barebones PC that I brought from US) and ran the script and disabled everything except network and WASAPI. I am not sure whether it has improved a lot compared to my previous combination but it definitely improved the booting/shutdown because of Win 8 and also I can feel that it is giving a clear vocal and instrument separation and better bass.

I didn't go through the link carefully, but it sounds like a great effort.

My favorite platform for music has long been Windows, version 7 to be specific. Windows 7 offers a compelling balance of performance, features, sophistication and resource usage. It's the best OS I have used in 21st century.

For an audio-only PC, Windows 7 is far better than Windows 8.

Windows 8 has fast boot and shutdown time for obvious reasons. It is Microsoft's bet on tablet devices. Microsoft expected tablets to replace Laptops and Desktops by the time they launched Windows 8. I feel sorry for Microsoft that it didn't go to their plan and Windows 8 is a flop OS. Fast boot and shutdown times are just the features a tablet user would appreciate the most.

On sheer performance basis Windows 8 doesn't match its predecessor. It's more resource hungry and harder to customize as well.

Personally, my 'Audio PC' runs on as little as around 360 MB of RAM, around 22 processes and around 270 threads, with CPU usage under typically 1%. I did think of automating the process or at least documenting the process for widespread use but call it sheer lack of motivation on my part.

My suggestion to anyone fully into digital, get yourself a licensed copy of Windows 7 and tailor it. After all the experiments I have done, I can confidently say Windows 7 is the overall the best OS for an 'Audio-PC'. At the very least I have tried it against and found to work better than Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Ubuntu 11.0.4 LTE, Mac OS X.

Yes I got the Win 7 for the same reason of being a nice audio pc but the Win 8 I think has some advantages over Win 7 as I believe other than Win 8 being less resource hungry it is basically the same version as Win 7 but a stripped down and more suited for Tabs. But I think when people say stripped down version I believe it is nothing but to remove unnecessary programs running in the background for which Windows is famous for and this gives ample space for making a dedicated music only PC. Anybody into music only PC (dedicated) should try out the Win 8 with the audiophile script which actually disables/terminates all the unnecessary remaining programs and gives a clean/lean PC with booting/shutdown timing similar to a CD player which I believe is icing on the cake.

Yes I got the Win 7 for the same reason of being a nice audio pc but the Win 8 I think has some advantages over Win 7 as I believe other than Win 8 being less resource hungry it is basically the same version as Win 7 but a stripped down and more suited for Tabs. But I think when people say stripped down version I believe it is nothing but to remove unnecessary programs running in the background for which Windows is famous for and this gives ample space for making a dedicated music only PC. Anybody into music only PC (dedicated) should try out the Win 8 with the audiophile script which actually disables/terminates all the unnecessary remaining programs and gives a clean/lean PC with booting/shutdown timing similar to a CD player which I believe is icing on the cake.

On the contrary. Stock Windows 8 is much less efficient than Windows 7. Windows 8 gives the false impression of being more efficient. Please do this:

Install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on a machine. Run the Resource monitor. Make a note of 'typical resource utilization'. Take multiple samples by restarting the machine on a hourly basis.

Repeat the process for Windows 8 on the same machine. Compare your 'Resource Monitor' readings. That will tell you the real story.

On the contrary. Stock Windows 8 is much less efficient than Windows 7. Windows 8 gives the false impression of being more efficient. Please do this:

Install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on a machine. Run the Resource monitor. Make a note of 'typical resource utilization'. Take multiple samples by restarting the machine on a hourly basis.

Repeat the process for Windows 8 on the same machine. Compare your 'Resource Monitor' readings. That will tell you the real story.

This can also be due to newer / additional features (services) being turned on by default in Windows 8 as compared to windows 7. We have to ensure all services are running 1:1 in win7 and 8 in same hardware and then compare.

Also regarding the topic, there is a software Fidelizer 3.0 | Windows X's Live that claims the same thing of transforming win pc into an audiophile one by trimming down non essential services.

This can also be due to newer / additional features (services) being turned on by default in Windows 8 as compared to windows 7. We have to ensure all services are running 1:1 in win7 and 8 in same hardware and then compare.

Also regarding the topic, there is a software Fidelizer 3.0 | Windows X's Live that claims the same thing of transforming win pc into an audiophile one by trimming down non essential services.

I tried this fidelizer as well as making the foobar process as "High" priority in the Task Manager and I liked the changes but I felt that the CPU overload became more because of this change. But with the Win 8 and the script I am feeling the CPU overload is less and the PC is less strained for the same or slightly better sound.

I never felt like going for windows 8 for the same reason.Win7 is doing gr8 job for me.Some features may be better in 8,but with use of wasapi,Bitstreaming for HT,it was never must for me.Even we can shut down unnecessary feature/services in 7 too.

Haven't looked at the script yet, but read the post on the site.

The one thing that makes a huge difference in performance is to disable the page file. You can do that from my computers - properties - advanced. Disabling the page file forces the OS to run everything from main memory or RAM. The annoying thing about windows is that it will use the page file on your slow hard disk at all times, even if it has sufficient ram available.

If you do this, you don't even need an ssd since all your songs will always run from RAM.

Besides that, disabling needless services is the second biggest performance win for free, but it is easy to screw up your computer if you disable a service that windows needs.

Haven't looked at the script yet, but read the post on the site.

The one thing that makes a huge difference in performance is to disable the page file. You can do that from my computers - properties - advanced. Disabling the page file forces the OS to run everything from main memory or RAM. The annoying thing about windows is that it will use the page file on your slow hard disk at all times, even if it has sufficient ram available.

If you do this, you don't even need an ssd since all your songs will always run from RAM.

Besides that, disabling needless services is the second biggest performance win for free, but it is easy to screw up your computer if you disable a service that windows needs.

Thanks for the tip, I cross checked and it indeed has disabled the using page file in my Win 8 system. But I am not sure whether this is because of the script or default being as "No page filing" on Win 8.

Thanks for the tip, I cross checked and it indeed has disabled the using page file in my Win 8 system. But I am not sure whether this is because of the script or default being as "No page filing" on Win 8.

Can you please double check? To my knowledge, windows 8 uses a page file too. Windows controls the size and growth of the page file by default, and you have to explicitly disable the page file.

How to Change The Size of Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys) on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 - ITProGuru Blog by Systems Management Expert Dan Stolts - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

disabling page file in windows system not recommended at all although many people say you can disable if you have more then 8gb or ram (x64) & OS is installed in SSD.

on the topic, i use x64 win7. foobar with WASAPI.... audio routed to DAC via SPDIF, didn't find windows interfering my audio, as i'm bypassing windows any control over the audio output.

Win8 on general is unfit for my PC's (kind of software i use) and i don't like it personally.
I will think about win8 when i have more then 25 core-CPU powering my PC :)

Can you please double check? To my knowledge, windows 8 uses a page file too. Windows controls the size and growth of the page file by default, and you have to explicitly disable the page file.

How to Change The Size of Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys) on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 - ITProGuru Blog by Systems Management Expert Dan Stolts - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Yes I went thru the link that you provided and here is the screenshot of my system. I think this disabling might have happened after I ran the audiophile script but I am not sure.

v0uz.jpg

Hi I am using following PC with windows 7

Motherboard Processor Combo
Gigabyte GA-E350N
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - BGA FT1 - GA-E350N (rev. 1.0)

Processor
AMD E-350 - Dual Core
4 GB ram

Running Window7 Professional 64 Bit

Planning to use Asus Xonar - Currently planning to use E Mu 0404 PCI

I am planning to use Analogue out

also I have Hifimediy sabre DAC

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Digital to Audio Converter 96khz/24bit (incl USB to optical converter feature)

and one chines USB to Co axial Converter

PLEASE CAN I KNOW AUDIOPHILE SETTINGS / Tweeks possible

Check couple of posts above where a link is posted for the tweaks setting using a script exe "Fidelizer". You can try this provided you use this PC only for music and not other day to day work as I believe it disables most of the default features of the Win 7.

Check couple of posts above where a link is posted for the tweaks setting using a script exe "Fidelizer". You can try this provided you use this PC only for music and not other day to day work as I believe it disables most of the default features of the Win 7.

PLEASE PLEASE NOTE AND THANKS!!

I am plam\nnig to use this PC for work and music!! and surfing is necessary and I will be using USB Wi Fi adapter!!

disabling page file in windows system not recommended at all although many people say you can disable if you have more then 8gb or ram (x64) & OS is installed in SSD.

on the topic, i use x64 win7. foobar with WASAPI.... audio routed to DAC via SPDIF, didn't find windows interfering my audio, as i'm bypassing windows any control over the audio output.

Win8 on general is unfit for my PC's (kind of software i use) and i don't like it personally.
I will think about win8 when i have more then 25 core-CPU powering my PC :)

I respectfully beg to disagree. I have been running my computers with page file disabled since almost a decade, and across various windows OSes. I have almost never run into an issue even when heavily multi tasking.

In fact I currently run my system with page file disabled with only 3 GB ram, which by the way is the max addressable memory for 32bit programs. Most programs we run still run in 32 bit space.

If you are going to run a dedicated audio server, even 3gb is actually overkill.

I am also not sure why people would recommend disabling the page file only when you have an ssd. In fact, it should be the opposite. The biggest benefit to a disabled page file is for people with slow hard drives, the 5400 rpm kind.

And really, you don't need 8 gigs of ram to play a song.

Edit: typed too soon before reading everything. Why do you say windows 8 is so bad? It does have a frustrating ui but I really don't think it is all that bad. And I could not understand why you said it requires a 25 core CPU. It is actually more efficient than windows 7. At least in my limited experience.

What I do find annoying is that it decides on its own when to reboot after a system update. Very high handed, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes I went thru the link that you provided and here is the screenshot of my system. I think this disabling might have happened after I ran the audiophile script but I am not sure.

v0uz.jpg

Thanks, yes, that is indeed the page file fully disabled.

I respectfully beg to disagree. I have been running my computers with page file disabled since almost a decade, and across various windows OSes. I have almost never run into an issue even when heavily multi tasking.

In fact I currently run my system with page file disabled with only 3 GB ram, which by the way is the max addressable memory for 32bit programs. Most programs we run still run in 32 bit space.

If you are going to run a dedicated audio server, even 3gb is actually overkill.

I am also not sure why people would recommend disabling the page file only when you have an ssd. In fact, it should be the opposite. The biggest benefit to a disabled page file is for people with slow hard drives, the 5400 rpm kind.

Edit: typed too soon before reading everything. Why do you say windows 8 is so bad? It does have a frustrating ui but I really don't think it is all that bad. And I could not understand why you said it requires a 25 core CPU. It is actually more efficient than windows 7. At least in my limited experience.

What I do find annoying is that it decides on its own when to reboot after a system update. Very high handed, IMO.

25 core is typo, i mean to say 256, that is the maximum number of cores supported by win7. win8 is might be a little better in few terms but overall its not better then win7 ( atleast form me, and the type of application i use) its even not good for gaming PC many top of the line games are reported to frequently crash in win8 ( DX 11.1x is till not stable). And personally I hate the Metro UI :D

i was referring to a pc for general use general (page file needed) for a htpc its a same what you said. For normal PC like what i have, (12gb ram, manual 18gb - 24 Gb page file seting, 6-core AMD, DDR-5 1gb GPU) while editing 18-megapixel RAW file sometime that even seems less. So PF is directly proportion to the type of work you want from you PC.

SSD people might be disabling pagefile, as SSD is costly storage. and it generally start any program comparatively faster so no need of page file.

I completely agree with the usage of Win 8 being more efficient and yes its annoying that it decides to reboot the system as it feels so without the owners intention. What I am planning to do is disable the windows updates as it is a dedicated music only PC. Also I feel that Win 8 is just a rebadged Win 7 with some tweaks thrown in for faster boot up and look and feel of having a tab OS.
Regarding the UI layout, I have downloaded the "Classic Shell" and got back the usual "Start" button and its features and my Win 8 loads directly to this start feature rather than the tiled layout. So far very happy with the outcome of this Win 8 and audiophile script. It has not broken anything compared to my Win 7 + Fidelizer script, but it has been more efficient in CPU load and boot/shutdown timings.

Back