Windows 8 Audiophile settings

For normal PC like what i have, (12gb ram, manual 18gb - 24 Gb page file seting, 6-core AMD, DDR-5 1gb GPU) while editing 18-megapixel RAW file sometime that even seems less.

You call that a normal PC? It compares easily to servers and is in my opinion a PS (Personal Server) :)

You call that a normal PC? It compares easily to servers and is in my opinion a PS (Personal Server) :)

i feel ashamed when this still not able to run Tomb Raider in 100+fps (ultra settings) plus comparing this to what i have in my work, those monster handle 3-4 gb files just like a text file :lol:

25 core is typo, i mean to say 256, that is the maximum number of cores supported by win7. win8 is might be a little better in few terms but overall its not better then win7 ( atleast form me, and the type of application i use) its even not good for gaming PC many top of the line games are reported to frequently crash in win8 ( DX 11.1x is till not stable). And personally I hate the Metro UI :D

i was referring to a pc for general use general (page file needed) for a htpc its a same what you said. For normal PC like what i have, (12gb ram, manual 18gb - 24 Gb page file seting, 6-core AMD, DDR-5 1gb GPU) while editing 18-megapixel RAW file sometime that even seems less. So PF is directly proportion to the type of work you want from you PC.

SSD people might be disabling pagefile, as SSD is costly storage. and it generally start any program comparatively faster so no need of page file.

Thanks. Yes, your kind of usage is the reason why windows pages to a hard drive. A dsmall suggestion - making the min and max sizes the same would give you better performance. This way, windows does not have to dynamically resize the page file.

.... pc for general use general (page file needed) for a htpc its a same what you said. For normal PC like what i have, (12gb ram, manual 18gb - 24 Gb page file seting, 6-core AMD, DDR-5 1gb GPU) while editing 18-megapixel RAW file sometime that even seems less. So PF is directly proportion to the type of work you want from you PC.

SSD people might be disabling pagefile, as SSD is costly storage. and it generally start any program comparatively faster so no need of page file.

??? I dont get it! per my knowledge, pagefile does not work for that reason.

Thanks. Yes, your kind of usage is the reason why windows pages to a hard drive. A dsmall suggestion - making the min and max sizes the same would give you better performance. This way, windows does not have to dynamically resize the page file.

Point to note is, having a Page file ( small or big does matter but that is secondary) what matters is your actual RAM size and its speed ( also when compared to HD speeds ), the moment you run out of space in the RAM, the Page file comes in play and this is when the slow-down process begins - ie. moving the CURRENT content to and fro from pagefile to RAM based on your Activity - i.e which application or what part of the prog.Otherwise there is NO performance difference in having and page file or not having it as long as RAM is not filled up to the hilt.
On the other hand ,If you do not have the page file (compounded by low memory)- you are actually INVITING trouble - Freezing of O/S or unknown Crashes! Guaranteed!

so ,I would suggest having plenty of RAM , Remove all un-necessary Background process (normally these run and stays in the Memory !)
also, Please do have the Page files. If you have multiple Hard-disks, then choosing a faster drive ( and possibily other than the drive o/s is sitting ) for your page file will help.

Point to note is, having a Page file ( small or big does matter but that is secondary) what matters is your actual RAM size and its speed ( also when compared to HD speeds ), the moment you run out of space in the RAM, the Page file comes in play and this is when the slow-down process begins - ie. moving the CURRENT content to and fro from pagefile to RAM based on your Activity - i.e which application or what part of the prog.Otherwise there is NO performance difference in having and page file or not having it as long as RAM is not filled up to the hilt.
On the other hand ,If you do not have the page file (compounded by low memory)- you are actually INVITING trouble - Freezing of O/S or unknown Crashes! Guaranteed!

so ,I would suggest having plenty of RAM , Remove all un-necessary Background process (normally these run and stays in the Memory !)
also, Please do have the Page files. If you have multiple Hard-disks, then choosing a faster drive ( and possibily other than the drive o/s is sitting ) for your page file will help.

I think what this script is doing is disable/terminate all unnecessary programs/features from the Win 8 OS and choose what needs to run like in my case I opted to enable only the LAN, WASAPI and just the Foobar app and does not have any other app or program. Also I use a 64gb SSD for OS and all my music is on the 1TB external HDD connected to the USB 3.0 port. I just use a 4gb RAM and so far not faced any issue with the OS hanging or slowing down as I feel that 4gb RAM is more than sufficient for music only usage.

I think what this script is doing is disable/terminate all unnecessary programs/features from the Win 8 OS and choose what needs to run like in my case I opted to enable only the LAN, WASAPI and just the Foobar app and does not have any other app or program. Also I use a 64gb SSD for OS and all my music is on the 1TB external HDD connected to the USB 3.0 port. I just use a 4gb RAM and so far not faced any issue with the OS hanging or slowing down as I feel that 4gb RAM is more than sufficient for music only usage.

Manniraj, I had gone thru the complete scripts, I did not find things to worry for the kind of requirements.

Though, some of the changes may not have been necessary if you had purchased the Basic Version of these o/s in the first place.:eek:hyeah:

Are these(media players and the supporting controllers) not available on DOS version!

Manniraj, I had gone thru the complete scripts, I did not find things to worry for the kind of requirements.

Though, some of the changes may not have been necessary if you had purchased the Basic Version of these o/s in the first place.:eek:hyeah:

Are these(media players and the supporting controllers) not available on DOS version!

I think the things what the script disables come packaged even in the basic OS. Coming to using DOS I am not sure whether we can install/use the Foobar or any windows specific software players which are considered audiophile.

Unfortunately, windows does not work this way. Windows will use the page file unnecessarily even if it has plenty of free ram.

I can only say from personal experience. I have been programming and heavily multi tasking with the page file disabled for almost a decade. This is across xp, vista, win 7, win 8. The memory running out issue is overblown in most cases. And no, I don't do Photoshop etc that can get very memory intensive. But I do run multiple windows, editors, debuggers, browsers etc.I may face a memory issue once in a few months. In all cases, a simple reboot solves the memory problem.

While an ssd is fast for random reads and writes, and a pci-e ssd is even better, it is still a magnitude slower than ram. Easily 10x if not 100x slower. By the way, I would imagine that playing a song is a sequential read activity and not a random read (unlike a system reboot). For sequential reads, a fast hard drive (7200rpm) should be comparable to an ssd.

For an audio server, a page file is completely unnecessary and a drag on your system. Again, YMMV.

Not sure about htpc though.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back