Wireless ethernet adapter on ps3 for HD streaming

manu79

I have a query on wireless-n Ethernet adapters, before i begin let me give quick view of my setup :

I have a V20 attached to which is my ps3 slim, the ps3 is connects over wifi to my home network via a Buffalo router (wzr-hp-g300nh). The router also has a wired PC (an old athlon x2 rig) and a couple of net-books over wifi.

Now the above setup is perfectly fine for streaming SD and DVD quality stuff. But when it comes to HD stuff the wireless G card in ps3 is a bottleneck. Also my net-books are having g based cards which work as long as we are not trying to stream HD. I use the wired athlon x2 rig for streaming the videos using Tversity.

I was thinking of getting a wireless-n Ethernet adapter which goes into the gigabit port of the ps3 and will connect at n speeds to my router, will it be sufficient to have my wired pc stream hd videos ?

I know the current netbooks i have are out of question for HD streaming, but i am planning to get a AMD e350 based netbook later as they should be able to stream 1080p effortlessly over wifi-n speeds. I am skeptical about the wireless-n ethernet adapter , hope someone over here at the forum has experience with it. Please give your opinion or suggestion. Information on pricing will be great, option for two Ethernet ports will be great.

Note : I cannot run a Ethernet cable from ps3 to the router as they sit far apart, the Ethernet socket on the wall in my flat turned out to be just dumb sockets with no wiring done :mad:

Last edited:
I have query on wireless-n Ethernet adapters, before i begin let me give quick view of my setup :

I have a V20 attached to which is my ps3 slim, the ps3 is connects over wifi to my home network via a Buffalo router (wzr-hp-g300nh). The router also has a wired PC (an old athlon x2 rig) and a couple of net-books over wifi.

Now the above setup is perfectly fine for streaming SD and DVD quality stuff. But when it comes to HD stuff the wireless G card in ps3 is a bottleneck. Also my net-books are having g based cards which work as long as we are not trying to stream HD. I use the wired athlon x2 rig for streaming the videos using Tversity.

I was thinking of getting a wireless-n Ethernet adapter which goes into the gigabit port of the ps3 and will connect at n speeds to my router, will it be sufficient to have my wired pc stream hd videos ?

I know the current netbooks i have are out of question for HD streaming, but i am planning to get a AMD e350 based netbook later as they should be able to stream 1080p effortlessly over wifi-n speeds. I am skeptical about the wireless-n ethernet adapter , hope someone over here at the forum has experience with it. Please give your opinion or suggestion. Information on pricing will be great, option for two Ethernet ports will be great.

Note : I cannot run a Ethernet cable from ps3 to the router as they sit far apart, the Ethernet socket on the wall in my flat turned out to be just dumb sockets with no wiring done :mad:

well for the above question is that moving the ps3 over a gigpit lan port and then connecting it to 300mbps wifi won't make much of diffrence..

1st ) is the pc lan port 100mbps or a gigabit port .

2nd ) lan port over router is it 100mbps or gigabit .

if these two are both gigabit. we solve the first problem of bottleneck network.

now even if its a 300mbps router asap u connect your laptop or any other g - device it will step down to 54mbps to be compatible with that device.

so if we just keep the pc connected over a 1Gbps lan and the wifi adapter to ps3 for 300mbps ... this is the best you can achieve...

wifi works one -sided.. its not to and fro like lan.

so the max you get is a 150mbps throughput..

divide it by 8 and you get around 18MBPS...

theoritically it should happen.. but it will never happen...

it will max out at around 5-6 MBps.. this happens due to buffer and over-head and distortion..

this is when wifi device is 300Mbps and lan on pc and router and ps3 is 1Gbps.

so you can give it a try.. but if you want to stream HD content specifically.. stick to 1Gbps lan.. wifi won't help much..

more the number of devices connect to router over wifi.. keep dividing the speed...

Well i was hoping to stream at least 720p videos. Running a cable across the room is out of option for me although i would have preferred that, and wrt to the mixed set of devices on my network (g and n speed) i can keep the g devices off hook during the streaming process.

I was hoping someone here would have atleast some experimental if not successful experience with wifi ethernet adapters :eek:

Well i was hoping to stream at least 720p videos. Running a cable across the room is out of option for me although i would have preferred that, and wrt to the mixed set of devices on my network (g and n speed) i can keep the g devices off hook during the streaming process.

I was hoping someone here would have atleast some experimental if not successful experience with wifi ethernet adapters :eek:

i gave all that info with my experience as i have tried streaming movies of N-network..

over wifi.. however my pc and the media device both were on wifi.

its half the speed of what you will attain as one of your device will be on lan.

720p videos will work just fine.. however 1080p with dts encoding might be an issue as its a lot to buffer for wifi..

also keep the security on wpa .. wep eats the bandwidth..

keep a seperate channel.. do not leave it on auto.

the best you will get is on 6 and 11 however if you set the region to asia.

you can even transmit it on 13.. but not all routers will have that setting..

i never asked you not to do it.. but just wanted to let you know that these are the actual situation you will go through..

720p will just do fine... but again upto a size limit.. say a 4-5 gb movie in 720p...

I never use auto channel option, i have it set at channel 8 + 4 (40mhz) setting with wpa2. I used iSSIDer and found this channel combination to be less crowded. A total of 31 AP's were found within proximity :D

My router supports dd-wrt however i have not yet tried it, so maybe i might get the channel 13 option with that.

720p will work fine for me so i think i might take plunge a on the Ethernet wireless bridge, maybe something from Buffalo so that it pairs automatically with my router using AOSS.

For 1080p i plan to have a amd e350 or above based netbook connected directly to my TV. And use any of the droid remote apps to control the media.

Long term plans, have a HDMI reciver and HTPC added to the setup.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back