Wiring diagram for extension power point

gobble

Hello HiFi'ers

I am building an extension switch box with 3 or 4 3-pin plug sockets for my audio. A quick search on google did not throw any reliable wiring diagrams. I am concerned about getting the earthing right and correct way to connect the 3 plug sockets to the one 4sqmm 3 core wire that will plug into the wall socket.

TIA
Regards

Kindly make sure that you have no joints for the earthing wire.

No joints? The earthing wire will run in series from one socket to another right? so I will need to cut 3 pieces ( for 4 plugs) of 3" wires and run them from socket to socket?

Also 3 6A plug sockets in the switch box all connected ultimately to a single male 6A plug - will it overload?

TIA

I would suggest to use the trimming joints available in electric shops for joining earth wire running thru 4 plugs. It is available in SP Road, BLR.

I would suggest you to have to use a 15 amp Plug [ for extension box] and connect the same to a power plug[ used for fridge] which will be safe all the time.. Since we cannot predict about the connected load..!

There is nothing complicated in an extension box (if you have some idea about electrical connections), I have attached one rough picture for connecting 3 devices. Use a 15amp rated Fuse\MCB, the main plug and cables (esp. the main cable). Assuming that an ELCB is already there for the whole building. All the switches and sockets can be 6amp (Incase if you are planning to connect any 16amp load, you should use Fuse\MCB and main plug with higher amp rating). Use good quality materials from Anchor\MK\North-West etc. Also try to use the universal sockets, avoid using adapters.
Note : Be careful while playing with electricity.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8858/exbox.png

Last edited:
No joints? The earthing wire will run in series from one socket to another right? so I will need to cut 3 pieces ( for 4 plugs) of 3" wires and run them from socket to socket?

Also 3 6A plug sockets in the switch box all connected ultimately to a single male 6A plug - will it overload?

TIA

You can use a single wire (w/o cutting) to connect all the 3 earth points in the sockets, single core thick copper wire is better.

There is nothing complicated in an extension box (if you have some idea about electrical connections), I have attached one rough picture for connecting 3 devices. Use a 15amp rated Fuse\MCB, the main plug and cables (esp. the main cable). Assuming that an ELCB is already there for the whole building. All the switches and sockets can be 6amp (Incase if you are planning to connect any 16amp load, you should use Fuse\MCB and main plug with higher amp rating). Use good quality materials from Anchor\MK\North-West etc. Also try to use the universal sockets, avoid using adapters.
Note : Be careful while playing with electricity.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8858/exbox.png

Thanks. and Ooops! I forgot the switches. Is it OK not use switches at all?
All 3 will b operated by the main plug switch.

Now with 4 6A sockets, does the male plug have to be 15A? Or will a 6A mains plug do?

Regards

Re: Watch out!

There is a reason you can't find these diagrams on the web. And that is safety. Unless you are certified personnel to handle mains, you shouldn't be touching them as mains voltages will kill you if handled incorrectly.

Posting information on such wiring is usually illegal and against the rules of all major DIY forums, 'cause if you were certified you would not need to ask, and if you weren't, you aren't supposed to do it.

Different countries have different legislation on the handling of mains voltages.

Having said all this, it's obviously possible to do this in a couple of hours and I've constructed a 4-way outlet using breakers and silver sockets from Anchor, with a mix of solid-core 7/20 and flexible 4mm wire. Has to be very carefully handled because of the dangers involved.

Jeepers Creepers now you scare me! Yeah I got the Anchor silver sockets. I will contemplate going to an electrician tomorrow ... :)

BTW nobody in Thippasandra has Finolex 4sq.mm 3 core wire. I dont want to go all the way to SP road. Do the malls like Croma stock these cables?

TIA
Regards

I would suggest to use the trimming joints available in electric shops for joining earth wire running thru 4 plugs. It is available in SP Road, BLR.

I would suggest you to have to use a 15 amp Plug [ for extension box] and connect the same to a power plug[ used for fridge] which will be safe all the time.. Since we cannot predict about the connected load..!

Unfortunately my wall socket near the audio equipment will not accept a 15A plug, its the smaller variety.

Regards

BTW nobody in Thippasandra has Finolex 4sq.mm 3 core wire. I dont want to go all the way to SP road. Do the malls like Croma stock these cables?

TIA
Regards

Three core wire is not a must, u can easily get single 4sqmm wires and use three colored wires in red/black/green and braid it properly. For aesthetics you can use teflon covering with heat shrinking tubes.

Gobble, why go to all this trouble? Get a Mx or Oxygen power strip and you are done. If you want something more exotic, get a Belkin power strip with a 100,000 warranty on equipment used.

I have been using Oxygen power strips all across my house and have no issues. They take all kinds of plugs including European and American saving you the hassle of an adaptor in between. Only issue with power strips that I see is that we must NOT insert a plug when power if lowing into the strip. That will lead to sparks and unnecessary headaches. Otherwise these power strip work well.

I don't have much experience with Mx, but they are moving aggressively in the market after losing to Oxygen.

Cheers

Unfortunately my wall socket near the audio equipment will not accept a 15A plug, its the smaller variety.

Regards

Then you need to check the phase wire thickness coming to the box, if it is not 4sqmm, there is no point in putting a 16amp socket and plug. Also its not recommended to use the 6amp main socket and connect multiple 6amps to it, coz the load can exceed 6amps. If the main wire is 4sqmm, you can easily change the 6amp socket to 16amp. In the worst case, you can check how many circuits are coming to that box and connect each 6 amps to each circuit (normally multiple circuits will not come to a single box). Else take a separate line from the main.

Oxygen plug i took for 70Rs has two 3 pins,and two places for 2 pin outs ..i add a 10 Rs plug so i got even more points :)

what will you get by extension making ? no one makes biscuits ..unless they r something v spl.

ok if you want 'reliable well known' one get
belkin 4 plug they r about 500Rs, and looks good too!

Thanks Venkat and all others. I already got the wooden box and the faceplate made. and purchased Anchor silver sockets.

I thought these MX and Belkin stuff is only good for PC's as they use some circuit/fuse that affects the sine wave. Am I wrong?

TIA
Regards

Oxygen plug i took for 70Rs has two 3 pins,and two places for 2 pin outs ..i add a 10 Rs plug so i got even more points :)

what will you get by extension making ? no one makes biscuits ..unless they r something v spl.

ok if you want 'reliable well known' one get
belkin 4 plug they r about 500Rs, and looks good too!

Thats what I have now, but it is prone to loose contact on movement.

Regards

Back