Wooden Tonearms - TonearmAudio.com

The quest for a tonearm for my Lenco L75 is becoming very confusing. I have looked at:

1. Origin Live OL1 full mod except external cable - about UKP 330 (about $ 530)
2. Audioquest PT 9 - sub $ 500 on audiogon
3. Moth 700 (nothing but OEM version Rega RB700) badged Moth - sub $ 600 on audiogon
4. Rega RB251 unmodified - about $ 250.
5. Airbearing MG1 plus air pump - about $ 800, but the pump is supposed to be very noisy.
6. Various versions of Jelco arms including 12 inchers - upto about $ 600.

I don't know yet if the Tonearm Audio wooden number is even in contention.

My requirement: I want to be able to use a heavy MC cartridge like Denon DL 103 as well as lighter MM ones that I already own (Shure V 15 Mark III, Ortofon Super OM 20 - both needing re-tipping, Shure Mx97E, Shure M55, a Sony whose model number I can't recall, and hopefully B&O MMC 20 S). And also bring out the best of what the 'table is inherently capable of after a plinth rebuild. Anti-skating function needed if the arm is a 9 incher. I am open to 12 inchers also as plinth size is not a constraint. Ideally I would like to limit the outlay to $ 500-600 unless I am going to get substantial sonic gains by spending more.

Any directions/pointers/ideas, warnings/pitfalls, whatever, for a confused soul?
Thanks in advance,
Joshua

Any directions/pointers/ideas, warnings/pitfalls, whatever, for a confused soul?
Joshua,
though I have read your Lenco thread. I dont remember why you are replacing the tonearm. So I would suggest if original can be dismantled. Refurbish it from top to bottom OR there is one in good condition available here Goldring Lenco L75 Tonearm | eBay
Regards

Last edited:
I am not so sure. I think its about $850. Check with Arj. He has ordered one. In your list you have looked at $800 arms

Joshua,
though I have read your Lenco thread. I dont remember why you are replacing the tonearm. So I would suggest if original can be dismantled. Refurbish it from top to bottom OR there is one in good condition available here Goldring Lenco L75 Tonearm | eBay
Regards

The stock arm is in a bad shape. I opened it and found that the rubber V mount where the arm pivots is in a bad shape. And mine happens to be the cream coloured type, which is considered even worse. There are replacement parts made with superior, modern materials, but in any case the stock tonearm is not considered highly even with mods. So one would be better off buying a new arm. Also the chrome plating on the arm tube is peeling off and looks quite ugly. Otherwise, it works.

I am not so sure. I think its about $850. Check with Arj. He has ordered one. In your list you have looked at $800 arms

Stereophile Apr 2011 issue has rated the Schick arm as Class A and price mentioned is $ 1475. I guess that's "just" about double of my budget:)

Scheu Classic? Available in both 9" and 12" at TLR. In your budget. I am a newbie to all this but the arm looks great and sounds good to my virgin ears. It's a unipivot design, just so you know.

Stereophile Apr 2011 issue has rated the Schick arm as Class A and price mentioned is $ 1475. I guess that's "just" about double of my budget:)

I would also recommend the scheu classic. It is one of those classic unipivots.... Thomas schick is around 850 euros direct from Thomas....takes 4 months though ! And the 12" is around 35k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Scheu Cantus is also awesome- and looks great too! On the upper end of your price range though.

I know this thread is about wooden arms but do take a look at the Terminator arm, which is around $1000 I think. There are a few Lenco users with this arm whom you can probably contact from this page to see what they think. There are quite a few very positive reviews for this arm that I could find...

Yup. I love it. It's what I'll use on my 2 tonearm TT (whenever I can afford it)...that and a 12" Opera Consonance (based on a Triplanar design).

I know this thread is about wooden arms but do take a look at the Terminator arm, which is around $1000 I think. There are a few Lenco users with this arm whom you can probably contact from this page to see what they think. There are quite a few very positive reviews for this arm that I could find...

Any idea how this will compare to the Clearaudio Tangent Linear Tracking arm Clearaudio Tangent

This is available for $ 1K on clearance sale from its usual 2K-ish price.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back