Woofer Score!

Very soon I'll be fabricating clone drives similar to the 416's in small scale.
Built around with similar parts and material. And the same way as GPA is doing in the US. I had given it thought for quite some time now seriously and I had decided to start with 10 pcs initially. But only in ferrite version.
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Let me clarify that when it comes to the vintage vs. modern debate, I am not a blind follower of any camp. I look at the situation as what is best for me and how I can get it at the most reasonable investment/performance ratio.

My listening areas are of an average size of 15x20 and some are even smaller. I do not need big brute 500/1000/2000 wpc amps for these spaces. My amps are 3 to 40wpc, valve and ss. As I am now taking the class A route the amps shall be 3 to 6 wpc. As I do not use amps that can be fill a football arena with sound, I do not need speakers that can handle such amps. I agree that speakers with modern materials like Kevlar cones, kapton or Hisco formers and super duper cooling technology are far better suited for such amps when compared to vintage stuff, but as I do not use modern super powerful amps, I do not require such speakers.

Paper cones with paper or cloth surround, paper coils, Bakelite diaphragms make up a lightweight moving structure that can react instantly to the signals from a modest power amp and can be easily controlled by such amps. Paper cones have a natural lifelike tone that I love. As such drivers are not available from manufacturers in sizes larger than 8. I and others who are in a similar situation take the refurbished vintage driver route.
The Alnico vs. Ferrite debate is an important chapter in the modern against vintage Hi-Fi face off. Again, I am on neutral territory here. I have quite a few vintage ferrite drivers that sound great. Examples are Jensen DL220 and Wharfedale RSD Super 8. The DL220 has been equated with Altec 414 by Joseph Esmilla of JE Labs fame.
JE Labs Arkiv: 12" Co-Ax Driver Survey

JBL has published a white paper on how they have designed their ferrite magnet structure to sound as good as the Alnico.

I congratulate you on taking up the challenge of making a Altec 416 clone. Please do inform us when it is completed.

Regards,

Last edited:
Sorry friend !!!! I do not mean to let you down regards your opinion on drivers . What you talk of is totally different aspect to the discussion out here.
I had stated my views based on 15 inch dia speakers in power handling less than 40W , which is unfortunately not manufactured any more. When somebody hinted out ( post # 19) that classic drivers like 416 or 515 were something that modern drivers do not match up to the mark. ........" The fact is that modern drivers in that size are no more made in that power rating anymore ".
Discussion on cone material and parts is a different subject which will take the discussion off topic. Soft suspension made up of foam or rubber with light weight cone & fast transient response drivers are out there in sizes 6, 8, 10 & 12 , with power handling between 10W - 40W. And are in production from several manufacturer today due to there moderate size and widely acceptance in today's audio enthusiasts and had find a easy route in domestic living rooms where majority of people will hesitate or shy away from using 15" drivers.

But anything similar to Altec 414, 416, 515 in 15 inch is no more.
In (my post # 20) , I h'd not said any thing regarding merit of high power handling or high power amps. I had only shared my views on the facts and figures of present day drivers and their implementation of technology in reference to vintage drivers. When somebody brought out his views ... ( post # 19) of usage of cheap stamped steel chassis and light weight average magnet structures being used in modern drivers.
If such drivers were into action till date. It would had over ridden their old counterparts & would had seen tremendous improvements in them today.

It is not wise and correct to present an wrong aspect regards loudspeaker technology of the present. Every opinion or views should justify facts and figures point wise.
And I thank you for supporting me on the 416 build up. It is not a big deal for me. I have all the required resources and ready equipment setup needed for getting the job done. If you visit my facebook page .... " hunter audio loudspeaker reconers" you can see some of my work there.
Vivek

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back