Worldspace receivers - which is the best buy?

sunilkm

Hi,

I am planning to buy a Worldspace satellite radio receiver. What are the models available in India.? Anyone bought this recently?. I don't see Worldspace receivers on display in many electronics stores in Bangalore..but Tatasky is eveywhere!

Thanks
Sunil

Plz google worldspace & visit their website for details of recevers, channels, T&C etc.
Worldspace is HQ'd in B'lore so you shld have no trouble in getting all the info/support you may want.
I have a BPL Diva receiver which only provides an analogue input to my stereo system.
They have now a range of sets incl one with inbuilt stereo spkrs + FM-
but do get a demo before you decide on a model.
Also, make sure you have a window with a Line-of -sight to the South East sky which is where WS have their satellite.

Wondering if there's a Worldspace receiver with digital out?

Yes, I did check the website/ resellers (they were silent/clueless on the subject :) ).

Cheers

world space does have receivers with digital out that were manufactured some 7 years ago. Sanyo DSB-WS1000 has digital out and costed 10 k way back in 2001.
few people still have the save receiver and are selling them, all the receivers back then were made in Japan, i will recommend buying the same

that is very sad news, but did you see those numbers? that's ridiculous.....they couldn't possibly go on operating like that......I think we are soon going to see the demise of satellite radio in India....

worldspace was able to operate in India, because they launched some satellites some time back for some humanitarian/aid type purposes. If worldspace goes down the tube, it would need someone really daring to buy space on a satellite with India coverage purely for radio purposes.....somehow I don't see that happening, especially after having witnessed the worldspace debacle.

It was a wonderful service and I am sad to see it go.....Ranjeet I can't understand how you would prefer FM. IN every aspect Worldspace is superior, the sound quality is better than FM Radio, the content is in another league entirely.

It was a wonderful service and I am sad to see it go.....Ranjeet I can't understand how you would prefer FM. IN every aspect Worldspace is superior, the sound quality is better than FM Radio, the content is in another league entirely.

Totally agree, in terms of performance Worldspace is way ahead of FM, but it is not free and even expensive based on the packages. I feel with DTH like Airtel offering Worldspace now it would be better to go for an integrated unit instead of going for a standalone Worldspace unit especially if you are considering going the DTH way.

world space does have receivers with digital out that were manufactured some 7 years ago. Sanyo DSB-WS1000 has digital out and costed 10 k way back in 2001.
few people still have the save receiver and are selling them, all the receivers back then were made in Japan, i will recommend buying the same

Hi,

I hava BPL diva, is this not digital? Will the Sanyo be better?

Thanks a ton'
sharma
Delhi

Hi,

Can you tell me from where can I buy the recommended world space receiver Sanyo DSB-WS1000(has digital out) as I which to connect to my amp and get HIFI stereo sound. What is the function of digital output?

Warm regards,
sharma

Well i had it for a year.

+ve
----
Good clarity
many channels
No advertisements

-ve
----
There was only 1 hindi channel Jhankar at that time, the other channel was oldies.
News and other regional channels are not of any use since we will be knowing only about 4 languages(avg).

i am having BPL Diva unit, its the cheapest and doesnt have a digital out.
Nakamichi unit was available for more than 10k at that time, check with that.

Krish

i am having BPL Diva unit, its the cheapest and doesnt have a digital out.
Nakamichi unit was available for more than 10k at that time, check with that.
Krish

You mean there's actually a Worldspace receiver made by Nakamichi? :eek: Looks like I've been living under a rock! Would appreciate if you give me more details on that one! :cool:

I have a good system,but only FM and AM I am not satisfied want more radio station be it satelllite Please advise

If you want to use AM/FM, then your check might be limited by your location and tuner/antenna.
I suggest opting for Internet radio.

World Space is dead and buried too.

If you want to use AM/FM, then your check might be limited by your location and tuner/antenna.
I suggest opting for Internet radio.

World Space is dead and buried too.

Latest update: 10 transponders on AfriStar are on but no content is being telecast. 3 transponders on AsiaStar are functional with one broadcasting test transmission (old recordings of BBC and Sai Global Harmony, with a call sign). I still monitor both satellites with the hope that someone may at least make use of them for social purposes.

If you want to listen Indian radio stations ie Aakashwani, the answer is DD direct +, they up link 25 Radio stations from all over India, excellent sound quality, and their all channels are Free to Air. though you need a dish antenna, and a FTA Set top box. I took this as a DIY project last weekend and enjoyed doing it.

List of Radio stations is:

01-AIR VBS
02-AIR Telugu
03-AIR Marathi
04-AIR Tamil
5-AIR Gujarati
6-FM Rainbow
7-AIR Punjabi
8-FM Gold Channel
9-AIR Kannada
10-AIR Bangla
11-AIR Hindi
12-AIR North East
13-AIR Malayalam
14-AIR Assamese
15-FM Rainbow Chennai
16-FM Gold Channel Mumbai
17-Radio Kashmir
18-DWS Radio
19-Gyan Wani
20-AIR Ragam
21-FM Rainbow Bangalore
22-AIR Urdu
23-AIR Oriya
24-test Radio

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back