Worried About The Disappearance of Music CDs From The Market

used to buy tamil cd's in mumbai .regularly ......then had to get it from chennai ....and now ......most of the indian companies dont come out with CD's .....so getting Ramiy CD's which come from SWISS .....its anybody's guess ...how long before they also decide to shut shop

In Hindi ...except for T-series no other company is releasing new CD's ......Sony & Saregama is old unsold stock ...

When companies have stopped mfg .....what will shops sell ?

The shops will close. The day is not far when the music will only be available online, via the various streamers. It's easy for music houses and almost 80% of the listeners. A big loss for listeners who like to feel the physical medium.

MaSh

Yes. The end is almost here. Please check the link. Music launch too is now via streaming :oops:

Nothing to worry chaps. Things change and we should adapt to it. Look around us. The hobby or pleasure of listening to music by cds or whatever is dying. No one is listening to stereo music in a good setup. Home theatre yes; but not stereo. Very few listen to it. Young generation listen to mobile, TV, and other stuff. Also life of modern music is short. No one remembers last years songs, Music shops are closing for a reason. there is no demand. Audiophile hobbiest are very few.

What can we do. Get music whichever or whatever way is possible. Cds, Vinyls, Cassettes, Online Digital downloads. Tinker around your Hifi. chat/discuss (Fight debates :p) with audiophile friends, Join forums. DIY, Help other build setup. Share Music choices. Help young generation appreciate good music good hifi system. go to live performances, Plenty of things to do to keep the music playing. Here is a song to all of us

Your best bet to buy CDs is eBay especially eBay UK. You get used CDs too at attractive rates and most of the times they are better recordings than the new prints or remasters.

I am glad I bought most of the CDs on my wish left via Infibeam over a year ago. They had a very good US based vendor and you got much better rate than Amazon. Unfortunately Infibeam doesn’t keep CDs anymore.

I will continue to use my CD transport for the 1000 odd CDs I possess and use my hires streamer for newer music.

Also look out for old CD shops in your area. You might dig gold. Though buying there is a pain, lots of people have discarded indiscriminately and these guys give good deals. Especially good for old Indian labels that you won’t get on eBay.

You can't get anything of Jim Reeves other than a couple of greatest hits on CD anyway. I'm glad i got the bear family 16 CD set when it was available! A lot of that stuff - you can't get anywhere!
Yes, but everything is available on tidal and Spotify ;) if not a cd, I can always stream. No big deal at all for me.

Since we started with cassettes without any option to jump tracks, I still listen to entire albums even when streaming. Old habits die hard :)

That's really nice.

I refuse to install remote on phone or tablet for foobar2000 because the moment I can easily change tracks, that's all I end up doing. I treat computer playback and CD playback the same as vinyl and play them without interruptions as though I can't change tracks. Try it some time.

That's really nice.

I refuse to install remote on phone or tablet for foobar2000 because the moment I can easily change tracks, that's all I end up doing. I treat computer playback and CD playback the same as vinyl and play them without interruptions as though I can't change tracks. Try it some time.
Yes. Listening to a single album at a time will also help with keeping the loudness level constant, since in a playlist with tracks from different albums it can keep changing.

There's an excellent book by Barry Schwartz called "the Paradox of Choice". It touches this aspect of having lesser choices leading to more appreciation, why more is not always a good thing. A must read!

Last edited:
I have, apart from CDs, Digital downloads and a few Vinyls, streaming services on Amazon Music, Gaana, JioSaavn, Apple Music (now stopped) and Spotify (Now stopped premium). With too much choice, I am not satisfied. During cassette days, all I used to listen was sometimes the same cassette over and over again in loop. Like Agni Natchathiram/Punnagai Mannan combo. The moment I open my phone for listening, I don't know what to listen and keep going from one playlist to another , one service to another. Gaana/JioSaavn will expire by end of year and I will leave it, hopefully. Probably just leave it with 1 or 2 services -> Spotify and Amazon and use the same. I don't know, but things are very complex these days. World is getting taken over by millions of crappy Bluetooth speakers and plastic earphones played from low quality free music streaming services with ads. Music is getting destroyed.

During those cassette days we had to rewind to listen to the same track again and again .....I still remember the Title song of Gupt , Dil to Pagal Hai and many such tracks .....but if was fun , we were sought of involved and the moment the song was over ...we would go and rewind that cassette ..

CD made that more convenient .... I remember listening to ARR tracks with repeat mode and a single song used to keep playing for the whole day ......now with a huge collection of CD's ....that's gone ...also miss that CD changer .....programming tracks in those three cd's ....

Keeping track of music /CD release dates ...calling up the shopkeeper and checking if the cd has come .....eventually he started calling me...

then looking at those huge CD racks in Landmark ....that's not the same as browsing the CD list in Amazon

Recently Paper Palette sale was one such occasion

Now that level of involvement level is not there ....

CD is more of a nostalgia thing more than anything better in quality. My only wish now is Tidal and other hi res subscriptions get cheaper. There is lot more quality music for audiophiles and music lovers than a CD store can have. If you are a person who is not strict to a genre and stuck with few artists then it may not matter to you. I like discovering new artists and type of music on spotify. Wish they could stream all of them in wav ;)

Yes, they are nostalgia and we need to move on. But we need to move onto Tidal type of a service, not backwards. CD is better than current streaming services. Better yet, my CD Rips into FLACs/ALACs are better sounding than the streams. Still, the only qualm would be missing the Joy of actually holding a music album in our hand. Digital is just files and streams are just air !

Still occasionally get CDs from Secondspin.com but the frequency has come down and my CDP is getting less play time with Tidal hifi. Listening to the album Getz/Gilberto #2 without skipping in 24/192 which costs 25usd in hdtracks(pay 1/5th for the monthly sub) and very difficult to grab the CD also. So, it is an evolution with lot of positives. High quality listening has become affordable, cant forget the days of shelling out 500 bucks for each cd. Thought of selling the cd player but decided to keep it for the occasional nostalgic trips. Thing is not to get stuck in the past but to move on.

Last edited:
Wow, the old thread is back :). Before three- four years I started collecting CDs and now running behind cassettes ( for music before 80').But I have collected almost all the albums i was looking for, still 100+ cds am looking for nominal price( as of today Ilayaraja\arr cds are 500+ Rs). Its easy to get english albums in cd format. So conclusion, Keep the search for cds silently and grow your collection.People might think you as fool,But we would have a story to tell behind each Album, Music is about Emotion and only physical medium could quench the thirst IMHO.

In due course, I got many friends of same kind and started collecting the CD ripps for the albums which are not availale in CD or CDs are costly. Hope I would have time to listen my collection gradually and I never regret spending money on cds\cassette\LP :).

An alternative only for Indian music through legal source - Saregama online store. MP3 is charged @ RS 4 and HD audio @ RS 10. HD audio is in lossless quality (.wav). I have downloaded a few and they sound as promised. Some songs are more than 70 mbs in size. Of course, Saregama has the best and biggest collection of Hindi and Indian regional songs.
I think this is a better option today as compared to CDs if looked at the convenience part. One can build a collection of his/her own choice to play via USB. Out of 10 songs in a CD, there is a possibility of not liking 3-4 songs. For those who like CD's, they can burn the files.

SAREGAMA is giving a good discount. They call it monsoon offer where one can get 60% discount. I had a few HD songs in my cart but the amount was too high. This offer helped me to save a good amount!
Anyone has any idea about downloads from Sony India. I have not been able to locate one.

Back